Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2022, 08:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
I think we are going to see two things happen (just my opinion). I think prices are going to come down because the pandemic buying frenzy is over. We should be near the start of that based on dealer inventories getting back to normal.

The second, thing is I believe there will be a flood of used inventory to hit the market as people realize that RVs are not what they imagined and the cost to store and maintain an RV adds up. Even the guy with the RV in his driveway will walk by everyday and wonder why his investment is going unused.
I agree.

Skyrocketing fuel prices and inflation are also going to be driving more folks to sell their RVs.

We are on the cusp of the Mother-Of-All-Buyer's-Markets for RVs - but we aren't quite there yet.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2022, 11:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_plaid View Post
So you would recommend someone take money from an investment that could be potentially earning more than
current interest rates to buy an RV? Yeah...that math doesn't work. Either way, most people don't pay cash...
Since you apparently don't have anything constructive to address to the OP,
and all you can seem to come up with is arguing with me and perverting my words
into what they weren't, I guess I'll reiterate what I actually said and customize it for you.
What I recommended was instead of paying back a loan with
interest to a bank, pay yourself the payment and save it,
then after a few years you'll have enough money to pay cash.
It wasn't that complicated.
But if you think spending money that you haven't earned yet and
flushing a portion of that down the toilet is sound math,
you're not somebody who ought to be offering financial advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skibane View Post
I agree.

Skyrocketing fuel prices and inflation are also going to be driving more folks to sell their RVs.

We are on the cusp of the Mother-Of-All-Buyer's-Markets for RVs - but we aren't quite there yet.
I'd say more like we're on the cusp of unprecedented numbers of
people are about to be forced to live in them, but what do I know?
I'm just some dummy who thinks debt's stupid.
Zulu Kono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:28 AM   #17

Zulu,
Sorry to inform you, but you don’t own this thread, and you didn’t start it either. There is room on forums for differing points of view without vituperativeness. The OP did not ask anybody for financial advice. So, a prolonged discussion of whether or not to finance an rv hijacks the thread. Let the OP determine who should butt out, or start your own thread on debt.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:09 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Kono View Post
...What I recommended was instead of paying back a loan with
interest to a bank, pay yourself the payment and save it,
then after a few years you'll have enough money to pay cash.
It wasn't that complicated.
But if you think spending money that you haven't earned yet and
flushing a portion of that down the toilet is sound math,
you're not somebody who ought to be offering financial advice.

I'd say more like we're on the cusp of unprecedented numbers of
people are about to be forced to live in them, but what do I know?
I'm just some dummy who thinks debt's stupid.
OP,
We just purchased a new unit over a year ago and it looks like that same unit now costs about 20% more.

We saved and paid cash, so it's water under the bridge even if the prices drop. I'm with Zulu. I'm young with a family, wife home with kids, so I stray away from burdening us with monthly debt (for a toy), just in case things go South with work.
Plus that's less hours I have to work every month to cover a payment - MORE FAMILY/RV TIME!
Old 05-31-2022, 07:14 AM   #19

The time to buy an RV is when you want one and can afford it. It’s all about what you are comfortable with.
As far as what’s gonna happen, your guess is as good as anybody else’s. Around here, we are seeing more and more used trailers for sale, but still kinda high prices.
If you wait for a glut on the market, how do you decide when is the right time? Prices may never get to where they were.
Kipkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:19 PM   #20

Getting back on the OP's question I would say now is not the time to buy prices are extremely unstable and very high also just to let you know after this covid crazes over those used overpriced campers are going to be out there for sale but at extreme abnormal prices. That's the way I see it. Wish it was different. But if not. It may take a while before the prices I'll trailers come down or even any kind of RV but it will take a while but remember is that a lot of companies just shoved equipment out there whether they be trailers fifth wheels or motorhomes very shoddily. Many reasons I'm sure exist why. So maybe you might want to look back add some of those aged styles to what you had. But even they are going to be priced right now very high. Sorry I can't help but I don't think this is going to go away anytime too soon!
dustyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:33 PM   #21

Shopping now, wow!

I only subscribe about 70% to the Dave Ramsey philosophy of living like no one else, to like like no one else. Gotta live life along the way……..
So if I where you I’d start asking your self some questions:

1. Can you budget truly afford all aspects of it?
2. Will you use it enough?
3. Will you keep it long enough to be ok with the loss? Prices may come down but will not go back to what they where 3 years ago. Just doesn’t work that way.

If you can and it works make some memories, if not wait until you can.

All that being said however my trailer is the last item I will finance, done asking to borrow $$$ at this point in my life.
vroom_vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 03:53 PM   #22

yeah, cash only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu Kono View Post
It's never the time to buy if you need to borrow the money.
If you have to borrow money to buy an RV, you can't afford an RV.
You should tent-camp and pay yourself the monthly payment you
would be forking over to a bank, then after a few years of doing that,
you'd be able to buy an RV for cash, and when you've got a pocket
full of cash doing the talking, you tend to get better prices on stuff.
There, that was some free education for you,
however I don't expect you'll learn it the easy way.
I agree with Zulu Kono, if you can't afford cash, you can't afford it. Same with cars and just about anything besides a house.

But I respect other people's opinions.

If you have a bunch of debt, it's risky. You can't afford to lose your job. If you find near retirement that you're begining to hate your job, you're forced to keep working...
jerrya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 04:11 PM   #23

Yea, but is it still the right time to sell?
Johnynorthla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:54 PM   #24

I think you pretty much all took over the thread and the OP probably no longer cares to respond. Maybe you all need to take a step back and understand that not everyone pays cash for everything and that everyone has different circumstances. I tell you...this forum has gotten to the point where no one actually just helps. Everyone takes over and tells everyone else what they are doing is wrong. Advice to OP...join a Facebook group.
green_plaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 06:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_plaid View Post
I think you pretty much all took over the thread and the OP probably no longer cares to respond. Maybe you all need to take a step back and understand that not everyone pays cash for everything and that everyone has different circumstances. I tell you...this forum has gotten to the point where no one actually just helps. Everyone takes over and tells everyone else what they are doing is wrong. Advice to OP...join a Facebook group.

AMEN he was looking for advice not a lecture!
franklin99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:27 PM   #26

Deals can be had, but they're just harder to find in today's crazy rv environment. If you're willing to put in the hours of research, preparation & endless hours of internet searching for a good dealer, or a good private deal, & be prepared to punce on it when you find it, then you can find the right unit for you. We decided in 2021, we wanted to get back into a truck camper again, so we spent 6 months researching, & settled on a Host Yukon model. Host has 12 dealers around the country, & all but one were charging list or higher in this crazy Covid frenzied environment. One out of the 12 did not change his selling policies during Covid, & offered us a 15& discount that saved us over $16K. It took a lot of work on my part to find this one dealer, but it was worth it. We'll now be able to enjoy this truck camper for several years, & then, if I choose to sell it, I'll get back far more of my purchase price than if I'd gone with the closest dealer that was charging thousands over list. Patience is a lost art in today's society.
freestyle_freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:41 PM   #27
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
As long as RV manufacturers keep raising the price on new RVs the prices on used RVs will continue to stay high. Plus once you factor in inflation, good luck trying to find a rig that is lower then they are now. JMHO.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 09:08 PM   #28

I can't believe anyone would advise a person to join a Facebook group! Good Lord.
OkieSVT is offline   Reply With Quote