RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2019, 09:34 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Short girl problems

Ok, so in our tt my DW cannot reach the vent fan switch or the crank to open it. Without replacing a perfectly good system has anyone had to tackle this?

I was thinking of adding a continuous rotation servo to the crank and a remote switch instead of the current push button.

Any thoughts or experience?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 09:41 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Mostly my DW just uses me in that instance.
She's just under 5' tall, we carry one of those fold up steps so that she can reach the fan if needed. https://www.amazon.com/Rubbermaid-RM...s=folding+step
Most of the time it's in front of the passenger seat, otherwise her feet just dangle since she can't comfortably reach the floor.

Your DW, if like mine, is quite adept as using something to give her some reach. I told mine I'd cut a slot in the end of a wooden spoon so that she could use it to turn the crank. And with other end she could push the button. She liked the idea, but likes having me do it even more.
Old 02-03-2019, 09:42 AM   #3
PKI

Wife takes water bottle from counter and turns on switch. Anything that provides the arm extension will work. When all else fails she always calls the tall guy, but after years of being short, she would rather do it herself.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:06 PM   #4

Had the same problem in our new TT, wife is 5'1" and the ceiling in the new unit is higher than the old Jayco. Installed a Maxxair with remote. Problem solved, and it moves far more air than the useless "fan" that came from the factory.
steve52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #5

We have MaxxAir fans. I crafted a tool using a 3' long wood dowel. One end has the female shape of the crank knob and the other has a rubber bumper for the push buttons.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:17 PM   #6

Step stools and reach assistance have no electrical failure modes.
Old 02-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A short piece of PVC pipe. Push to switch. place handle in pipe and rotate to open.

DW is 5'2"
rgvtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:37 PM   #8

Years ago I had an accident and had to walk with a cane. Used the cane all the time as a arm extension. They buying her a cane to use. It doesnt take up as much space as a step stool. Alternatively replace the fan with one that has a remote.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:58 PM   #9

Just remember: with all those extension devices, she'll be able to reach you faster to give you a whack when she needs something. A small step ladder may be a better strategic choice.
Rocinante440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #10
tcg

This was just a quick Google search.

https://www.amazon.com/Fimco-7771938.../dp/B00FGYK50A

If there's room up there install that thing or something similar.

As far as the crank, a quick search on Amazon found this. This thing could also be used to push the on off button.

I watched the video in that listing, I really like this solution.

https://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Stik-Roo.../dp/B01DPU0DZI

Depending on the type of crank handle you could make your own. Here's an example using a pvc pipe.

tcg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problem, problems