Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2016, 03:55 PM   #15

Haha yeah I tend to repeat myself too, especially on this forum. A lot of times I will write something and it gets erased when I hit the send button and then I will send it again and all of a sudden it is posted on there twice. Thank you again for all of the tips
Miamicamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2016, 05:04 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclassC View Post
Thank you guys so much for the tips. Yeah, I guess it would have been crazy to try to run the AC with a cover lol. I really wasn't thinking that through. But yeah, I am going to get me a good cover. I definitely don't want any more leaks. And Mel, you're right in both of your identical posts (haha) but man, I sealed that baby up twice and I had two different dealerships seal it up on two different occasions and it still kept leaking. Those Class C bunk windows were made to leak know matter how many times you seal it. It was just a lemon I guess. I tried everything in my power, so this time I am going to get a cover and I think that should help. Looking forward to many camping adventures!
Well...actually, if you are getting into the RV with the cover on, the good mid-grade covers will have a doorway zipper access on the side that you will open to enter the door.

So with the cover on, when I needed to run the AirCon, I have put two 1' PVC pipes under the cover and over the AirCon cover (front and rear) to act as a "bow" which lifts the cover and allows airflow over the exterior of the AirCon.

I have thought about leaving the "bows" in-place in storage to reduce pressure on the AirCon cover from the weight of the RV cover fabric, but the rough edge on the end of the PVC pipe (could rub a hole in the cover) prevented me from doing that. Considered by adding a PVC elbow or end-cap could make it work...just haven't done it - yet.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:29 AM   #17

My cover has zippered side panels, so I can get into the trailer or any storage compartment I want to easily. I don't run the A/C when it is sitting in the back yard for months at a time, so no issue there. If the kids want to backyard camp or we want to spend the day doing something inside the trailer it is very easy to unzip and fold it up and leave it on the roof so slide can come out and A/C can be run. If it was being used all the time, or at least used more than it's not I would probably reconsider the cover, but for me there is no better way unless you have a garage it will fit in.
CoachCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:39 PM   #18
IC2

In 2014 I bought a cover for our 2014 5th wheel. Yep, they are still a pain to install on a pretty long RV. But it went on just fine. Spring ahead to 2015 and now it's Nov 1 and time for the cover. Oh @#$%!!! The mice have had a picnic on about 6-8 layers deep in that covered roll about trash can I'm using for storage in my garage. $300 plus dollars to the dump after one use. Now, do I advocate using a cover? Absolutely. Will I buy another? Maybe, if my ship come in
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:43 PM   #19

Outdoors RV Owners Club
somewhere in my research, I saw some covers that cover just the roof, seems like a neat idea for the UV concerns. I did buy one and love it. I would have to echo what most others say, if you are going to do it, spend the money, most of the materials that are used nowadays do "breath" I noticed my will get some air movement through it in the slightest breeze thanks to the vents on the top edges of the cover.
Old 03-10-2016, 04:49 PM   #20

Here are my 2 cents:
1. Passport roof is not walkable.
2. I used to have '13 Passport 2650 which was kept without any cover on the open parking between the trips. For 3 years I had absolutely no problems with the exterior, in spite of South Florida sun. No fading, cracking, no peeling or discoloration of the decals, no delamination; was looking 100% like new.
The answer is definitely NO
RGene7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:24 PM   #21

I have an older class A, and previously had an older class C, and I agree that the sun does a great deal of damage.

In my experience, the sun drys and cracks the roof or roof accessories, and either careful maintenance or repairs result. Once compromised, get up and reseal, or have rain penetrate into areas not designed or able to deal with it.

My solution was to build a permanent car port, or pole barn, depending on what you call it where you are.

Mine is homebuilt, wood pillars, wood framing with plywood and shingle roof, and tarps for sides. Protects from the sun and rain when not camping, and all the utilities work while inside my pole barn.

I have also seen metal kits you bolt together with different spans as you need them...
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #22

Of course you should buy a cover, then when we sit across from you we will have something to laugh at.

Besides what could possibly go wrong?

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 09:53 PM   #23

If you are in Miami I would not cover it but it is your call I cover mine only in the winter months when not using It I Have an adco all climate.. And if you had a bunch of leaks then you need to tighten up on your maintenance clean and spay protectant on the roof every month with being in Miami check all lap sealant for cracks and touch up check all exterior seals and you will never have a leak on your new TT..
rbleau6885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:53 AM   #24

Sun, does the most damage... 3 years is almost New..

what about 10 to 15 years.. Rubber Roof... is dead.. or almost.

cover it if you can...

my 10 year old trailer.. everything made of plastic on the roof.... skylights, vents, all badly damaged from the sun .. had to replace.....

and We are in N.E. Ohio.. No sun for 4 months a year.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:01 AM   #25

Two RVs and two covers. I just got fed up with the hassle of putting the covers on and taking them off. The best solution for me was renting covered storage. What a difference! The RV stays clean and the caulking does not age as quickly. It only bumped my monthly storage cost by $30.00 and is more than worth it. I think RVs should be covered in some form.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #26
RPr

Going into winter I cover to keep snow from roof contact. The rest of the time it is parked it under a tree to reduce the sun.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote