RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2020, 11:49 PM   #1

Should I consider buying this Trailer?

Members on this forum recommended that I not tow anything over 3500 lbs, so Iím looking for a trailer with a dry weight under 2500 lbs. I came across this on Craigslist (see link below) I really wasnít planning on buying anything this old, but it looks remarkably good in the pics, and appears to be stored inside some kind of shop or garage. (Most RVs I see in this price range look trashed.)

This is cheap enough that I could pay cash and not finance anything. Maybe keep it a couple years. By then I will have a better idea what I want and can look for something newer/nicer.

1. Itís located in my city. Should I go have a look? Or should I skip it due to itís age?

2. If I look it over thoroughly and find no red flags, should I pay the dough to have it professionally inspected before buying? Or hang on to my $$$ for repairs?

3. If I bought this trailer, what is the worst case scenario as far as something breaking down and needing repair? I figure if the fridge or heater goes out, there are affordable options available for workarounds. I want to know what kind of major things could go wrong.

https://stlouis.craigslist.org/rvs/d...069574149.html

MoTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2020, 12:02 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
You don't know when the photos were taken. Never trust pictures. You say it's in your city. It's not like it's thousands of miles away. Go see it. If you're comfortable inspecting it yourself & testing everything, then go for it. Otherwise, negotiate with the seller for what it'll take for them to hold it/take it off the market until you get it inspected. Polite thing to do would be a refundable deposit for x number of days. Forfeit if you can't get it inspected in the timeframe agreed upon.

As to what could be wrong? The sky's the limit. Everything from non-working appliances, rotted tires, propane leaks, leaky tanks, poo-pyramid, roof leaks, window leaks, hidden water damage....etc. The only way you'll know is to go see it.

Good luck.

Lori-

There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:33 AM   #3

If it was stored inside that is a plus.

If it's in your budget and tow range worth looking at.

Yes it could have many problems that's why it needs to be inspected.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:32 AM   #4

Looks like a decent first trailer. Not a lot to lose if things don't work out. But yes bring someone with experience to help inspect. Check every working system, look for leaks in the roof.
And regardless plan on spending money on it the first year. But again, at this price if it is on good condition you don't have much to lose. Buying new in this size could cost you this much in two years of use/depreciation.
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:37 AM   #5

Agree, go look at it as it can't hurt. Also push on areas of the ceiling and look for any water stains. Is this the original owner?

Battery and tire age is something to investigate.

The pictures look like the trailer is clean.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:49 AM   #6

I'd go look for sure. Plan on new tires and battery and pack wheel bearings just for your own peace of mind. Don't worry about little things, check the furnace, water pump and heater and make sure the fridge works on electric and lights off on gas. That looks like a really good learner model, don't think you'll lose any money. If you buy new, you'll loose that much just signing the papers.
Old 02-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #7

Thanks. Insurance?

Once again, I appreciate everyone's advice. If I purchase a trailer with a value of just a few thousand dollars like this, should I still insure it?

I will hopefully go see it today and post an update.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:16 AM   #8

Should I consider buying this Trailer?

Agreed, stored inside is a huge plus. Exercise all systems. Check for soft spots, or stains from water damage. Appliances can go out on a three year old trailer.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since insurance is a risk transfer mechanism, the question of whether or not to insure is strictly determined by your own tolerance for risk.

If you had a catastrophic loss due to fire, theft or storm how much are you willing to pay in premiums to get some of the value back? And what is the likelihood that such a loss would occur?

An alternate approach would be to bank the premium difference of the premiums of a high deductible policy versus a low deductible and build up your own "insurance fund".
Kluffinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #10

I would not get it insurance on it but make sure it is covered when hooked to the tow vehicle. I have insurance on any trailer I tow because it is hooked to my tow vehicle.

Now sure all insurance is like this, just make sure. You are not insuring the trailer as much as making sure you are covered if you hurt someone.

GIECO was the very best insurance for towing. They understand towing the best. They even covered me if someone got hurt on my camping site.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #11

Called Seller

I called the seller. He said the following:

1. He bought it 2 months ago for them to use, but it is too small, so he is selling it.

2. It had no awning, so he installed one. He also added the TV.

3. Says it has no issues, everything works. Fridge runs on gas/electric. Doesn't know how old tires are.

4. Says I can see it this evening. He is "working on a house right now."

It could be that he bought it to fix up & sell. I will meet him at 4 PM and see it. I left a message with a certified inspector to call me back.

I also posted on Craigslist looking for someone with experience who might be able to accompany me when I look at a trailer.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:29 PM   #12

If he only had it for a couple months, it may not have been stored inside for long. Check the roof CAREFULLY. You could easily spend more than the cost of the trailer repairing a leaky roof.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:40 AM   #13

Posted in New thread

I posted my experience looking at this trailer in a new thread.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/my-f...ce-478100.html

Tags
buying, trailer