Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2015, 08:27 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My RV is 15 years old. No leaks in that area, and there is more thermal transfer through the fantastic fan. If you are over 5'10" you will be unhappy without it.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #16

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I'm 6'1" and love the shower skylight, both for the space and ambient light.

When camping in extreme temperatures I might come up with temporary fixes for all the trailers roof vent and skylights. We have a snap on vinyl cover for the vent over our bed that works very well. If it gets really cold we can stuff bubble-wrap behind it. Something similar for all other skylights and vents would be preferable, in my mind, to just eliminating the skylight.
brulaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:30 AM   #17

I've considered ordering my next mh without the skylight in the bathroom. Light not needed. The main reason for the skylight is for the added height. Main reason to keep it is for resale. Don't want to limit my prospective buyers to short people.

I still find it interesting with all the years of experience, smart people in the world, here in 2015 we still apparently can't develop a design to keep these things from leaking.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfuse View Post
I am leaning towards taking the sky light out so that I don't have to worry about heat or cold or leaks or deteriorating lenses over time.
Any thoughts or experiences from this wonderful group would be appreciated.
Thanks
texasfuse
Personally I like the shower skylight in my coach.
My coach has lived outside for 18 years and my shower skylight has not leaked or deteriorated.
However a friend painted over his then 14 year old skylight when he coated his fiberglass roof with white elastomeric roof coating: SealBest
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:36 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildtoad View Post
I've considered ordering my next mh without the skylight in the bathroom. Light not needed. The main reason for the skylight is for the added height. Main reason to keep it is for resale. Don't want to limit my prospective buyers to short people.

I still find it interesting with all the years of experience, smart people in the world, here in 2015 we still apparently can't develop a design to keep these things from leaking.
I don't think it's so much a design problem as an installation/maintenance problem ...
Old 01-24-2015, 07:35 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Have not had any leakage problems with any of mine, 2 MH and 2 5ers, now you do have to do routine maintenance and keep up with the caulking. No more trouble than anything else on the roof. My 5ers have an accordion slide to pull across the opening if the light is too bright or the temperatures are too extreme. Confines the shower too much without the skylight. Was in 105* temperatures and had no problems with excessive heat in the shower, and been in 20* cold.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:00 AM   #21

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfuse View Post
These are all great comments. I think I am leaning towards deleting them for the reasons being discussed, plus they are really noisy during a rainstorm. We presently have them in our Airstream trailer and when it rains it is quite loud.
I must say I am a little worried about resale value, but hopefully that will not be my problem. Any other thoughts are welcomed.
I you do remove your skylight, please take and post photos of how you do it and the end results.

Pretty please?
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I you do remove your skylight, please take and post photos of how you do it and the end results.

Pretty please?
By "delete", I think he meant "delete from the order form" ....
Old 01-25-2015, 02:14 PM   #23

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
By "delete", I think he meant "delete from the order form" ....

Yes, that is what I was trying to say.
texasfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:20 PM   #24

Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have the skylight in the bathroom only. I wish I had one in the main part of the trailer as well. I love the ambient light. Never had a leak or noise issue. I am five foot tall and even I like the extra headroom.
Old 01-27-2015, 08:11 PM   #25

Don't go camping where it rains! Don't delete it, for the little heat or cold that is transferred, the light is woth it. Add the inside cover as stated.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:19 PM   #26

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Lindy View Post
Skylights are double paned so, to some extent they stop the heat/cold transfer from outside.
On our Dutch Star MH it's double walled plus there's a pleated shade to pull closed.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:30 AM   #27

NO !!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless you are maybe - 5ft 6 inches ............. `;o#}
FlyFishers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 10:07 AM   #28

Our 5th wheel has a fan over the shower instead of a skylight. We upgraded to MaxAir fans that have a built in covers so we can leave them open in rain.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower