Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2019, 05:49 PM   #1

Question Shower pan

Hello all: I have a 2015 Jayco 24 RKS and the shower pan gives when you step on it, feels like very thin material. Have an access panel and was thinking of using foam block to shore it up. Has anyone experienced this perceived (on my part) problem? Looking for a solution. Thanks
retfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #2

My suggestion is a can of "Great Stuff spray foam. Since you have an access panel you can spray the foam in any particular area to 'beef up' the sagging locations.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:45 PM   #3

Great stuff is great, but be very careful. I used this for an exact similar problem and it expanded a bit more than I accounted for. Didn't break anything but it pushed the drain up a bit so the pan doesn't drain well. It does not flex now though.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:10 PM   #4

Pulled shower pan out of previous Moho ( Jayco) was able to insulate water tank, beef up pan with fibreglass and cloth, refinish pan, change drain hardware and fix supports under pan as well as close areas that leaked dust. Was not that difficult pan was quite easy to remove and install
Reka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #5

The "Great Stuff" and similar expanding foams make a version for use around windows that doesn't expand as much. (Around windows, it can cause the window to bind due to the extra pressure). I would use that version for sure if you go that route.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:26 AM   #6

The foam will work for awhile. It will collapse over time and you will have the same problem. It needs to have FIRM support. My Nash has full wooden support and is what you need to do. It’s tough to do. Poor engineering causes us all sorts of problems.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 06:52 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
The foam will work for awhile. It will collapse over time and you will have the same problem. It needs to have FIRM support. My Nash has full wooden support and is what you need to do. It’s tough to do. Poor engineering causes us all sorts of problems.
Can we see pictures of this set up the next time you pull off the access panel?
TT_TR250RDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:57 AM   #8

I fixed the shower pan in my Jayco 23MRB by using schedule 40, 4", PVC pipe. There was not any support beneath the pan and when I took it back to the dealer they did a poor job of placing 2 wood supports beneath it. It still sagged.
I opened the access panel on the front and measured the distance from the trailer floor to the bottom of the shower pan. I cut about 20 pieces of pipe to fit and slid them in, standing them upright, between the floor and the bottom of the pan. They are easily removable in case I need access to the area. I used some folded cardboard around the edges to hold them in place. Now the shower pan is very sturdy.
It is ridiculous that the manufacturer would not support the cheap, flimsy shower pans better. My pan has a 3/8" piece of plywood to support it. Any idiot knows this was made to break. Even a 3/4" floor with no support would not last.
Otispuggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #9

I have read of others that slid in wood blocks for support.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
It will collapse over time
I sprayed foam under my home shower for a flexing pan (broke the drain pipe) and it was hard as a rock 10 years later when I ripped it out to remodel. It worked great for what I needed it to do. Whatever chemical they put in that stuff I don't think it breaks down quickly at all.

As others have said, be careful it doesn't expand too much. I believe they make regular, max expanding and minimal expanding. I'd go regular or minimal.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2019, 11:02 PM   #11

loose shower pan

2019 Jayco White Hawk 28RL
technician diagnosed loose show pan solution using shims
brizrvforums is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower