Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2017, 05:48 PM   #1

Single or dual axle.

I bough a nice older HiLo, 22’. However, the wife didn’t like it, so I sold it. Now she said that she would like a new travel trailer. She didn’t like the HiLo because it was old. I hate to spend very much, just in case she doesn’t like it AGAIN! Anyway, I’ve been looking at some new models that are inexpensive, but most are single axle. It’s been a long time since I pulled a single axle trailer, but if I recall correctly, you really feel them as you drive down the road.

Do the newer single axles trailers pull better, or should I stick to my guns for double axles?
PapaRoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2017, 07:07 PM   #2

Just my opinion but I would never consider a single axle travel trailer. Several reasons, for me anyway: Not able to lock down the wheel and prevent fore/aft movement while parked no matter how good a chock you have, unstable while towing, too lightweight for me. I'm not an expert, these are just my personal thoughts.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Stick with the double.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:11 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You would be far better served buying a 2 or 3 year old trailer of better manufacture than the new "inexpensive" trailers. It will lose much less value in a season as well in case she does not like it.

Entry level small trailers are almost disposable. They are built poorly and when they leak the water damage can be catastrophic. Do your homework to find out a better brand and find a nice lightly used one.

And without a doubt get a double axle trailer.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #5

2 axle... if nothing else for a flat tire..

easier to backup.

USED,,, even 2 or 3 years old... "IF" you need to sell it...little lost.
3 years ago.. I purchase a 10 year old unit..
I live in it for 5 months.. 3 years in a row. very little trouble..
I tow it 2,000 miles each way..

biggest issue is floor plan... I went from a 21 foot to a 30 foot with a slide out...
wife and I kept banging into each other in the 21 foot..
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:14 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
It's been many, many years since I had a TT, but I wouldn't buy a single axle rig again.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaRoe View Post
I bough a nice older HiLo, 22’. However, the wife didn’t like it, so I sold it. Now she said that she would like a new travel trailer. She didn’t like the HiLo because it was old. I hate to spend very much, just in case she doesn’t like it AGAIN! Anyway, I’ve been looking at some new models that are inexpensive, but most are single axle. It’s been a long time since I pulled a single axle trailer, but if I recall correctly, you really feel them as you drive down the road.

Do the newer single axles trailers pull better, or should I stick to my guns for double axles?
Single axle trailers are single axle because the trailer doesn't need more than one to support it's GVWR. Not too many small trailers out there have an extra axle simply for the sake of ride comfort. If cost of ownership is an important consideration a single axle trailer costs half that of a double axle at tire replacement time. Pick a trailer that suits your needs rather than the number of axles.

JMHO
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:49 AM   #8

Discussion is over

My wife and I have discussed it, and the thought of a smaller trailer is DEAD! We have decided on a larger trailer, and will really start looking seriously after we meet we see the tax man.

I appreciate all the comments, and recommendations.
PapaRoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:52 AM   #9

I think you made a good decision. We started off looking at smaller trailers too but decided going smaller involved too many compromises. Good luck with your search.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
single