Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2017, 08:51 PM   #1

Sink drain leak

I recently discovered a leak in my TT. The white pipe on the right leads from the sink and connects to the PVC elbow on the left. I believe the leak formed due to stresses from the slide (white pipe slides and PVS is fixed). I’m not sure what connection(s) I need to make the fix. Any ideas?
John-Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1081.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	1.50 MB
ID:	182144
5 Monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2017, 09:44 PM   #2

Does the white pipe have threads? Looks like it in the pic. If so it's the wrong type for that compression fitting on the left
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Does the white pipe have threads? Looks like it in the pic. If so it's the wrong type for that compression fitting on the left

Yes it does. The fitting on the left is some sort of black PVC elbow. When I looked at it, there was a broken threaded piece that basically flaked off.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:45 AM   #4

My opinion, for what it is worth.
I have not seen galvanized pipe used for a sink drain in quite some time. I would be inclined to replace rather that repair. It appears that you will need to replace the hard to access plastic elbow no matter what (stripped threads?). You may, and I stress may, be able to use a PBC color over the elbow fitting an then use reducers to get down to a compression fitting. Replace the everything from there to the sink.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 05:59 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The pix made me laugh!!!! Talk about "rednecking it". Threaded fitting into a compression fitting then covered with cheap duck tape. If he had used a higher dollar duct tape it would have worked perfectly!!! NOT

Pull the compression fitting apart and clean it. replace the compression gasket. (white nylon ring} Then purchase the parts needed to complete the "flow" to the sink drain down pipe. When you "reinstall" do 2 things. Use a small amount of silicon caulking on each compression fitting that you assemble. Just wipe it on with your finger inside and outside the ring. Keep it off the threads. 2nd, support the pipe. Do this with either a block of wood or steel pipe tape. Looks to me that the joint failed to to vibration so fasten it down.

In the last 30 years I've never had a leaky drain pipe using the silicon trick. You can use it right away since it is not a pressurized pipe. Silicon=no call backs
Old 11-06-2017, 06:11 AM   #6

The black ABS fitting is broken, the gray PVC fitting is attached with tape. Cut out the whole mess and replace with ABS fittings usually available at Lowe's or Home Depot.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #7

Thanks for the tips. The person who owned the TT before me definitely rigged a few things. The drain was secured to a block of wood, but they definitely used some “spit and glue” on the drain pipe. Looks like I’ll replace the white flex pipe along with the black elbow in order to make a better connection. Thanks again folks!
Old 11-06-2017, 01:18 PM   #8

Yeah, do it right. Get help if you need to but do it right.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #9

Yes, absolutely. I’d rather do it slowly and right rather than quickly and again.
Old 11-07-2017, 05:49 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Monkeys View Post
Thanks for the tips. The person who owned the TT before me definitely rigged a few things. The drain was secured to a block of wood, but they definitely used some “spit and glue” on the drain pipe. Looks like I’ll replace the white flex pipe along with the black elbow in order to make a better connection. Thanks again folks!
Doesn't look like you need to replace the black pipe to me. I can't see where it is broken. Most of the time compression leaks occur at the compression washer. or ferral when you assemble them dry. Just take off the compression nut and washer and start with new materials at that point. Use silicon to seal each compression washer and support.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #11

I believe I’d inspect the rest of the trailer very carefully just in case he “fixed” anything else.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
I believe I’d inspect the rest of the trailer very carefully just in case he “fixed” anything else.

Took your advice and found some other “fixes” I had to correct.

Tags
leak