Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2011, 06:54 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billieg View Post
Honda Champion
59 db 68db 9db difference

32# 110#

Both can run computers and tv's

Champion can run an A/C plus, Honda can't

Honda $999 Champ $299

For my $$ I'd go with the champ and be cool....
Almost a quiet....NO WAY.

For each 3 dB increase in sound level, the sound power level doubles...so 9 dB is double...double... double . No way you can say that it is almost as quiet.

I'd not subject my fellow campers to the Champion. And the difference in quality is almost as bad.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #16

Yes, I'm sure it was a Champion 4000W generator. If you look at the specs on the Camping World sight or on the Champion site they both say the same thing...68db and it only runs at full power. That's a HUGE difference as noted in the JimM68 post above. If you run the champion at home or out on some land by yourself it might not sound so loud to you. But run one in a normal campground and you won't be running it very long. Also, you won't be running it in a National Park. It' a good generator but if you are a camper you won't be using it much!!! Why do you suppose that they don't allow it in a National Park...because it's too loud and disturbes campers.

Honda and others in the same price range or so are very quiet. Mine runs less than 54db when charging my trailer batteries. If I turn on a bunch of lights the CD player AND run the microwave it gets up close to it's max of 58db. How do I know this? Because the specs indicate this and a ranger had a db meter at a National Park and we tested it.

About the statement that the Champion will run a computer and a TV. Well, sure it will...but is it safe for the equipment? I know the answer, I suggest you don't beleive me, it's important to you... look it up. Try looking up why these generator companies went to all the expence to make inverter generators.

For camping I feel the smart way to go is to go with the quiet generators. Bring $$$ and if you can't afford it and go with a Champion.. just watch where you camp and expect complaints and/or to be asked to turn it off, don't start it again or leave the campground.
TTman is offline   Reply With Quote