Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2012, 09:05 PM   #1

Sizing up - effect of 6 ft

Would there be a really noticeable difference in handling and the feel of towing when moving up from a 23.4 ft to a 29.7 ft TT? Both trailers are within 100 lbs of eachother GVRW and within 20 lb in tongue weight. I realize loading does make a difference. I am fine with towing the 23.4.
Tina & Ted Ontario, Canada RVM 29
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #2

Longer trailer will probably have more sway. That can be cured with a better hitch system like the Hensley Arrow. Biggest difference you will notice will be in backing into parking spaces.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #3

That's what I was concerned about. I am currently "planting seeds" about the need for a Hensley with the DH. It may take a while to grow and flower. I would rather not do anything scary to prove my point, since I might be more freaked than him With our current trailer it might be overkill, but no sway sounds real good. And maybe we will move up that 6 feet.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #4

"Longer trailer will probably have more sway."
More sway? More than none? I don't get it...
TT's don't automatically sway because they are longer than 25 feet. Or 28 feet. Or 29 feet.
Our TT tows beautifully - don't worry about it.
Towed 2000 miles this year, our first year with a TT.
Freeways, highways, rough 2 lanes, twisting mountain roads, winds, rains, trucks passing and getting passed, etc. No sway.
I bought a ProPride. Never installed it. No need to.
Also, that hitch is heavy and must be accounted for in your weights.
If your truck has the anti sway software like mine, I suggest you do what I did.
Get on an open section of road, free of other traffic. At about 45 mph and against your instincts, steer left then quickly right and left again. Just when you think it was a bad idea, the truck software will snap the trailer right back into line. I was truly surprised.
I did install a Reese dual cam which reduced the pushing/pulling when around trucks on the hwy.
IWillRVToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I think you will find that with the longet trailer, you will want more tow vehicel. The F150 will wind up with the tail wagging the dog. A Hensley or other equally expensive hitch will not cure the problem of not enough tow vehicle.

See if the dealer will let you go for a test tow with the proposed trailer. I have done this.

Also, with a larger trailer, you will find it heavier, due to the fact that with more room, you pack more stuff and more stuff equals more weight.

So watch your weights, based on the actual truck weight, not brochure tow ratings.

Also, upgrade your current Reeses hitch to a Reese Dual Cam Strait-line. For the money, it is a great hitch.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:32 PM   #6

"The F150 will wind up with the tail wagging the dog."
Doesn't happen.
The OP is aware of weights and loading.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWillRVToo View Post
"The F150 will wind up with the tail wagging the dog."
Doesn't happen.
The OP is aware of weights and loading.

Sounds like the OP is looking at just brochure weights, especially the tongue weight.

29' trailer is a bit much for a 1/2 ton truck, even if it is within the weight ratings. That is a lot of sail area to control.

Now, if the OP plans short trips, and not often, he can probably make it work. However, longet trips will get tiring in a hurry. Believe me, I have been there and will not do it again.

Nothing is as good as having the right tool for the job.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:44 PM   #8

Thanks for all the input. "she" (thats me!) is grateful. I was seduced by the Hensley video. 50 Shades of Hensley, We will see how I feel about upgrading after our planned 2 month trip next year.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:40 PM   #9

Sounds like the OP is looking at just brochure weights, especially the tongue weight.
Yup.

29' trailer is a bit much for a 1/2 ton truck, even if it is within the weight ratings.

I respectfully disagree.

Now, if the OP plans short trips, and not often, he can probably make it work

I believe most accidents occur within 5 miles of home...

However, longer trips will get tiring in a hurry

Once again, I disagree. Fatigue from our 8 hour drive towing was no more than an 8 hour drive solo.

You've done it and won't do it again - cool for you. I'm doing it and feel completely secure with my setup.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Wheel Base of the tow vehicle would be a concern with larger trailers. We upgraded our trailer by 5-7 feet and there is a huge difference while towing.. Tow vehicle wheel base is a big factor and is not always considered. Look at it this way - build as much safety or "over kill" as you can!! Then when you have an "event' (blow out etc...) on the highway, you have the specs to deal with it.. There is a formula and if ya need it, I can search for it..
Dan
dgrant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #11

Just because you can...doesn't make it safe or correct

I don't get the line of thinking "a super dooper hitch will make my under rated tow vehicle just fine"

if your ever in a situation where you HAVE to make an evasive maneuver...you will SURE with you had enough truck for the trailer following you

iceman & dgrant gave you the truth...not an opinion
Old 10-08-2012, 04:37 AM   #12

I think the importance placed on the TV length is a bit overkill. Example is look at an 18 wheeler. "Average" wheelbase on the tractor is approximately 230". Most class 8 trailers are 53 feet or 636". That's roughly a 3 to 1 ratio, trailer is 3x the length of the tractor. More important is the suspension, frame rigidity, weight transfer, type of articulation (kingpin vs. bumper pull).
With the bumper pull set up, the tongue weight and ride height of the trailer tongue become more critical than the length of the trailer. Now I do agree that a Jeep CJ7 pulling a 25' tt is not a safe scenario either. The 2010 Silverado 1500 EC has a wb of 143.5 inches. The 2010 Siverado 2500 EC Duramax has a wb of 153" even. Using the roughly three to one ratio of the commercial tractor/trailer combos, the 1500 should theoretically be able to tow a 36' tt. I'm not sure than 9.5 inches is the difference between sway and no sway or safe and unsafe as it relates to tt towing. The wb does play a role in the overall stability of the combined unit, but other factors are as important if not more so than just the wheelbase of the TV.
Just my humble observation....
Nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:36 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Comparing a consumer vehicle to a commercial vehicle is like comparing apples and oranges, in my opinion. I see your point, however, look at the design. For an easier description, look at a fifth wheel trailer vs.semi-trailer vs. a travel trailer. The first two are easier to maneuver and handle adverse much conditions better.. Many more pluses with a semi with the engineering side of the fence. Up here in Alaska, the majority of semi rigs dwarf the ones in the lower 48!! Huge babies!!
There is a formula in this forum which describes the safe trailer length vs. tow vehicle length. I would recommend using this as a guide.
I do agree with the and appropriate hitch for a set up, a major safety piece.. I recently read an article on maintaining these.. Great read!!
Heigth comments - I also agree with, however, a high quality hitch would reduce the issues with this. Back to my second comment there.. I only wish I could get a higher quality hitch, off the shelf, up here..
dgrant09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:30 AM   #14

In apologize if I did not explain myself well enough in my last post. I was not attempting to
compare a class 8 to a class 2 or 3. What I was trying to explain is that the length of the tow vehicle is not the only or major perimeter in quantifying the towing length capabilities of the TV. I do think we agree on many of the major points in safely towing an RV.

Speaking of massive trailers, Google Australian truck trains. Amazing what those guys drive.
Nitrohorse is offline   Reply With Quote