Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2017, 11:32 AM   #1

Slide Awning Topper - Yes or No?

Hello! We are new to the travel trailer camping world and are looking for advise. We have a travel trailer with a slide. Is it a good idea to get an awning topper that rolls out & back to keep the slide safe? Also, if you do this, should you also get a ladder and a leaf blower to take off leaves etc before it is rolled back in?

As I said, new and trying to determine if the cost of the slide awning topper is worth it.

Thank so so much & look forward to the answers!

Debbie & Harvey
dkno1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2017, 11:36 AM   #2

Have 3 slides on our motor home, all with toppers. Wouldn't own an rv/with slides without them.
If you have toppers, no need for a ladder or blower as anything on top will fall off as the slide topper retracts.
Without a topper, any dirt, water, leaves, droppings, will hit the top of the slide, and some of it may be brought into the interior of your rig when the slide retracts.
I just get up on a ladder once or twice a year and clean out the area between the topper and slide roof and to treat the seals with 303.
Your going to get pro's and con's for them. Use your own judgement.
Grumpy
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #3

We added a slide topper to our super slide. It keeps all or most of the water and to me, most importantly, it keeps the debris like sticks, acorns, leaves and other assorted junk off the top of the slide, thus the debris does not damage your seals and/or end up inside the trailer.
parkerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:13 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have toppers on 3 out of my 4 slides. I think they help in keeping debris off the roof of the slide out. I wouldn't go without them.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #5

As all have said, you definitely need a slide topper...
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:21 PM   #6

No topper on my large slide but I wish I had one.
tbos1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:28 PM   #7

On our previous TT, we had a small slide and I just used a step ladder and wiped the top down prior to closing the slide. Our new TT has a super slide that is taller, longer and deeper. There is no way that I could reach or wipe it by hand, so we had a slide topper installed as part of the purchase agreement. It boils down to whatever you are comfortable with. Small slides can be cleaned quite easily, large slides not so much.
LJMinniePlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 09:26 PM   #8

I just climb up the factory ladder and sweep off the slide before I close it up if we are camping in the woods. The downside is, I have to climb up the factory ladder and sweep off the slide before I close it up.

Slide toppers are notorious for flapping in the wind and puddling water when they sag. It's also one more thing that UV rays will eventually deteriorate.

I guess it comes down to what you're comfortable with.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:23 AM   #9

Carolina Campers
Grumpy said it well above. One more vote in favor of toppers.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:50 AM   #10

First , the Topper will have nothing to do with safety , just helps keep the top of the slide free of deprie. We do not have one on our 8 foot slide, wish we could justify the expense !

We carry a high pressure jet hose nozzle and when we leave, i get up on the ladder with nozzle now on the disconnected water supply hose, and wash off all the leaves, sticks, and pine straw that has found it's way there during the stay ! With the jet spray, i can do it from one end !!!
Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #11

We have two on our TT and it makes life much easier, especially when the weather isn't nice.

Joe
Old 04-27-2017, 01:11 PM   #12

Another yes

We have one on our slide. And it's a big plus. I would say go for it.
ztoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:00 PM   #13
RPr

Having pushed 4 inches of wet snow, leaves, acorns and assorted debris off the slide to from time to time, it is on my to do list.
RPr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:33 PM   #14

Agree with the other posts in favor of them. We have them on ours and wouldn't​want to be without them. Makes life easier and helps protect the seals from UV/baking in the sun.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, slide