Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2018, 06:18 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Small Trailer Wind Resistance

Does a roof mount airconditioner, drag much wind, compared to non roof mounted ac? I am comparing R Pod to Jayco 19rb, both around 3500 GVR. The Jayco has features I like over R Pod, but does R Pod really tow better than Jayco 19rb due to R Pod tear drop design? All experiences appreciated.
DJBSDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2018, 11:32 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A teardrop design may be marginally better for wind resistance but probably not by an appreciable amount. All the other things on the trailer like awning arms, grab handles, steps, propane tanks etc. all create some wind resistance.

How well a unit tows has more to do with the weight balance than anything. Tandem axles tow better than single axles and proper tongue weight makes a more stable tow. There may be 1 MPG difference with a more aerodynamic trailer but in my opinion that is not enough to sway my decision. Get the one that has the floor plan you like best. That is far more important.

Buying a trailer that tows slightly better will not make up for a marginal tow vehicle so make sure you have enough truck.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:38 AM   #3

Drive down the road at 60 mph.
Stick your hand out the window......

Buy the floorplan that you like/works for you.
If you need to be concerned about 'drag coefficient' then you need a better tow vehicle
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 02:39 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by keymastr View Post
A teardrop design may be marginally better for wind resistance but probably not by an appreciable amount. All the other things on the trailer like awning arms, grab handles, steps, propane tanks etc. all create some wind resistance.

How well a unit tows has more to do with the weight balance than anything. Tandem axles tow better than single axles and proper tongue weight makes a more stable tow. There may be 1 MPG difference with a more aerodynamic trailer but in my opinion that is not enough to sway my decision. Get the one that has the floor plan you like best. That is far more important.

Buying a trailer that tows slightly better will not make up for a marginal tow vehicle so make sure you have enough truck.
One mile per gallon is definitely not worth differance for better floor plan. You hear all the hype about tear drop and airstream designs.
Old 10-14-2018, 05:26 AM   #5

Humm, I am on the other side of this issue. I think the easier trailer to tow will be more enjoyable. You will feel free to go places.

Example - it will always be easier to tow with the wind vs towing into a wind. No one should deny that.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Easy to tow and get around in, parks, etc is the reason considering a small trailer, with bed., toilet and air. Hate motels after being ever for over 50 yrs. We have a 38 ft Class A, keeping, good for long term, but not much fun to drive anymore, as I get older it seems to get bigger.
Old 10-14-2018, 10:26 PM   #7

I’m not going to speculate over which one tows easier but I have seen reviews that warn a trailer with a wall mounted AC needs to be leveled more accurately or the condensate water will drain into the interior rather than to the outside. Roof top units are less critical in that regard.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:23 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBSDB View Post
Does a roof mount airconditioner, drag much wind, compared to non roof mounted ac? I am comparing R Pod to Jayco 19rb, both around 3500 GVR. The Jayco has features I like over R Pod, but does R Pod really tow better than Jayco 19rb due to R Pod tear drop design? All experiences appreciated.
Did you perhaps mean the Jayco 195RB? Looking at the specs for the Jayco 19RD it shows a 6000lb GVWR. The 195RB standard model was 3500lb GVWR until the 2018 MY when it moved up to 3750. I have not towed an R-Pod or similar style camper, but the slightly reduced frontal area of these smaller trailers does help, but probably not as much as you would think. Our 2015 195RB, which is 7' wide, averages around 11.5-12mpg under normal conditions (we cruise at 62mph). Increase the speed by just a few mph or run into some headwinds and it drops down to around 10.5 or so - or add a good tailwind like we often have headed north out of southern Utah and we can see a tank upwards of 14-15mpg.

I would agree with what others have stated - find the floor plan that works for you and do your research to make sure you have an adequate tow vehicle to provide for a stable towing experience.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Humm, I am on the other side of this issue. I think the easier trailer to tow will be more enjoyable. You will feel free to go places.
Yes, less wind resistance will reduce stress on TV, and might make make the tow more enjoyable. But there might be other factors. A well balanced box might stress the driver less than a bad handling egg.
Other factors can take the "fun" out of a tow. Because of TV breakdowns, I have towed a friend's and my brother's TT. They weigh and about the same. But brothers is much more stressful. If something bad happened, the friend's insurance check could replace it. Brother's? Could not be replaced.

Quote:
Example - it will always be easier to tow with the wind vs towing into a wind. No one should deny that.
True Dat. But, a square-on head wind does not cost as much power/fuel as a side wind. Plus the changes in your direction of travel you are fighting against...
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:16 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes, Jayco 195RB 3500 GWR comparing to like weigh RPod. You made a good point about wall mount ac needing to drain outward. however we level to run ac water off opposite side of awning now. Our SUV is rated to tow 5000 lbs, take 80% of that equals 4000 lbs, in range with 3500 lbs. We have owned travel trailers and know over capacity better than under capacity when comes to towing.Thanks
Old 10-15-2018, 07:21 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Comparing Jayco 195RB, 3500 lbs. Couriousp your tow vehicle?
Old 10-15-2018, 09:26 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJBSDB View Post
Comparing Jayco 195RB, 3500 lbs. Couriousp your tow vehicle?
I'm towing with the 2014 RAM 1500 listed in my signature line. I have the Baja edition with a 3750 GVWR and it sits several inches higher than the standard model and has 15" LT off-road tires. Most recent CAT scale had the trailer at 3700 with 12% tongue weight (440lbs). Using an Andersen No-Sway hitch and have the tongue adjusted about 1-1.5" below level. The combination is very stable and we've put about 22K miles on it over the last 4 seasons.

Tags
trailer