RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2020, 04:04 AM   #15

Do not get propane and a little gas station. When I 1st got to a town where I was staying I bought propane at a gas station. No price was posted and i swear the person made up a price in his head. Like how inconvenient it was to get the propane. Sure enough the next time I went back I paid way too much as the price was different.

So it is easy to get ripped off buying propane.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 06:07 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by geordi View Post
LP usage (and purchasing) should be metered by the gallon OR the pound. For fixed tanks it is by the gallon, for portable BBQ-bottle it can be either way but most places do it by the gallon also. Flat rate (Home Depot / anyplace that swaps tanks) is the LAST place to get a tank, they are over $5/gallon cost!

In Virginia with the temps in the teens or lower, my 30' 1990 Holiday Rambler coach with single pane glass uses about 4 gallons a week in LP if that is the only source. The 40' 2003 Monaco diesel with 3 slides ALSO uses around 4 gallons a week, and both of these coaches have a 30k btu furnace.

I actually removed the LP furnace from the Monaco and have replaced it with a diesel heater. Diesel has much more energy per gallon and doesn't try to leak out when you aren't looking at it. The little chinese diesel heater from Ebay can run continuously for about 40 hours on ONE gallon of diesel, and keep the Monaco comfortably at 70 degrees while the outside is at 20. Anyone want to buy that Atwood furnace? I don't think I'll need it anymore.
Would like to see pictures of your diesel heater install and hear more about it. Perhaps a new thread?
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote