Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 08:43 PM   #1

So I bought that 28' Terry Travel Trailer. Here's the story.

I'm not going to go into everything, cause otherwise this will be stupidly long.

So to make a long story short, I almost didn't get the trailer. The guy was arguing it was sold, and I'm arguing hell no I put a deposit ( which I did ) The guy is in NH with his Girlfriend AFTER I told him I would be by around 11 in the morning to go over things. While waiting for said numb nutz to get back I call the NH DMV and talk to them about the trailer, because this was the last place it was registered. The confirm what is on the Reg, 28' 3000 lbs. So I call the MA DMV and ask them about it. I'm told all I need is a Bill of sales and the old registration, because NH is a non title state. With those I can title the trailer myself.

The idiot finally shows up and I tell him what I need. He gives me the old Reg and I head to the local DMV to get this done ( all the while I had my Insurance company set up all I needed ) When I get to the DMV they tell me that the bill of sales is written wrong and they can't do anything. ( [moderator edit] Mass ) So tired, frustrated I drive back, back up to the trailer, have the guy write up a new Bill. I'm sticking my neck out here and I just hook up to it and pull it out after giving the guy the rest of the money. I'm pulling this thing almost totally illegal. ( it was insured )

Now, if this trailer weighs 3000 lbs I weigh 200 and I don't. I'm pulling this thing with a 2008 GMC envoy, which thank GOD is rated for almost 6000. Depending on where you look it weighs between 4300 and 4800 lbs. Truth be told it was the most TERRIFYING thing I've ever done... I've never pulled a trailer like this in my life, and at one point a cop blew past me with sirens going that gave me a heart attack. However the trailer honestly pulls well for sitting still for so long AND being so old.. not a single problem on the tow.

I get it home and just go into my house and go to bed, I'm EXHAUSTED even though it's like 5 pm. I get up the next day and go to the DMV fingers crossed. I'm Called up in the DMV in record time.. like 35 minutes tops. I get to the counter heart pounding and explain what I want to do. Lady takes all the papers, looks everything over, grabs a plate, puts everything in the computer and hands it all over to me. I didn't HAVE to title it because the old reg says 3000 lbs but I get a title anyways so I can prove ownership. I walk out of the DMV almost skipping. The trailer is mine, Legit. If I have to because it's more then I can handle I can easily sell it.

It's not pretty, and it needs work, and I don't know where to start to get parts if I need them for it.. but it's mine... and I'm willing to try very hard to make her something livable. I'll go through it later and take pictures all around the outside and inside and post them later if people want.. for now... she's home
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	208879  
XJadynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #2

I'm so glad everything worked out and you have a title. I was a bit concerned for you, but you made it work!
I know that was stressful.
Post here with questions on fixing it up. People here are knowledgeable and helpful. They helped me a ton when I first bought mine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Oct Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:15 AM   #3

Glad to hear it worked out for you.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

Take it to a truck stop and spend the $11 to weigh it. You know you want to know. I want to know and Im sure im not the only one. You will need to weigh you envoy by itself first so you know what to subtract when you weigh them together.
zebrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:12 PM   #5

... an adventure! ... I love it! ...
Old 06-29-2018, 10:04 PM   #6

3,000 lbs. Looks right to me.

Cool everything worked out. Most dealing that I have done with DMV'S has been positive and the clerks seem to try to be helpful.

That trailer is not really in that bad of shape. It already looks retro just like new trailers built to look retro.

Sent from my SM-G900V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:19 PM   #7

you gota live on the edge now and then it makes you appreciate normal life. I'll bet that thing is close to 5500#
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrex View Post
Take it to a truck stop and spend the $11 to weigh it. You know you want to know. I want to know and Im sure im not the only one. You will need to weigh you envoy by itself first so you know what to subtract when you weigh them together.
I know what my envoy weighs roughly already. 4400 to 4800 lbs itself and I'm almost 100% positive the 4400 is correct. The 4800 would be the XL version, which I don't own.
Old 06-30-2018, 07:51 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
you gota live on the edge now and then it makes you appreciate normal life. I'll bet that thing is close to 5500#
Jay D.

I agree that it weighs around 5500
kginder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:36 PM   #10

Didn’t you have another post on this? I provided you with the trailer weight. 3000 is a bit shy of actual. 4820 is the dry factory weight. Guess if the MVA doesn’t bat an eye you have no worries. Assuming your Envoy can handle that load.
Rickho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:47 PM   #11

Just looked up the tow capacity on the Envoy. Rated for 5300lb max. Hoping I’m wrong about the trailer weight or you’re at your absolute limit. Dry towing would be in your best interest.
Old 07-01-2018, 01:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickho View Post
Just looked up the tow capacity on the Envoy. Rated for 5300lb max. Hoping I’m wrong about the trailer weight or you’re at your absolute limit. Dry towing would be in your best interest.
No i looked up my envoy, they rate them from 5300 to 5800. I have an SLT, which is rated 5800.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:00 AM   #13

So I bought that 28' Terry Travel Trailer. Here's the story.

That’s better news. Sounds like you got a nice deal.
Just remember that only leaves you with 1000lbs of available cargo capacity including passengers. Add 2 people and you’re down to 700 lbs of capacity. Add in full propane tanks and gear and you’re right there.
That’s why I committed about dry camping. If the campground doesn’t have full hookup just wait until you get there or get close to fill your fresh water tank.
When you bought the trailer did the seller throw in sway bars and brake controller? 2 things you’ll absolutely need with your setup.
Not the most expensive items but the most critical in terms of safety. Good luck, enjoy, and happy camping.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:10 AM   #14

Hate to say this... but you're probably gonna have 7500# back there once it's wet and loaded. I had an envoy... capable for <5K. GVWR is 6K, check your tongue weight.

Try a panic stop at 60 mph or even 45mph
You will probably over heat
Tranny is gonna need a cooler

At a minimum, lets say your gonna only tow locally and not at more than 45mph.

Up grade the brakes HD pads
Tranny cooler
Check your tires for loading
If you have air suspension that's probably good for level ride, but for towing, be prepared for one of those air bags to fail.

Not being critical trying to help you.

Tags
travel trailer, travel, trailer