Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2023, 07:01 AM   #1

Soft spots in foam floor 2015 Passport

I just got a quote for 5,000 to repair 2 spots in a foam floor in a 2015 passport ultra light-he had not heard of epoxy method but was quoting for a cutting out and replacing the foam-i have watched video on epoxy put doesn’t tell how far down you drill your 2” holes or exactly how wide out pass the soft spot to go-any advice? Also ripping out the carpet and flooring how do you get under the slide-on ? A guy on u tube jacked his slide up a bit not willing to do that-the gentleman who gave quote said to replace the floor he would take the frame apart and do it that way-dont really want to spend 5,000 and am willing to try myself-it is presently empty and i am painting and rehabbing myself-
awonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2023, 10:11 AM   #2

we have the same problem ours isn't to bad just that un- firm feeling. we have carpet on one side under the dinette and chairs in the slide out. the main walking area is vinyl. i found some snap together flooring thats about 3/8 thick and plywood not composite stuff, its really stiff. i'm going to put it right over the vinyl and see how it works. these foam floors don't have, at least mine doesn't any bracing under it. mine are about 36" and more, to far for any good support.
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 01:15 PM   #3

Remember - YouTube makes things look easier than it actually is. My initial thought if the floor needs to be fixed how much worse can you make it? And you might fix it. I bet the 2nd spot that needs fixed will be easier than the 1st.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 02:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by awonder View Post
I just got a quote for 5,000 to repair 2 spots in a foam floor in a 2015 passport ultra light-he had not heard of epoxy method but was quoting for a cutting out and replacing the foam-i have watched video on epoxy put doesn’t tell how far down you drill your 2” holes or exactly how wide out pass the soft spot to go-any advice? Also ripping out the carpet and flooring how do you get under the slide-on ? A guy on u tube jacked his slide up a bit not willing to do that-the gentleman who gave quote said to replace the floor he would take the frame apart and do it that way-dont really want to spend 5,000 and am willing to try myself-it is presently empty and i am painting and rehabbing myself-
Hello sir, do a little bit more research. I've never heard of drilling 2 inch holes in the floor to fix the disbond issue you have. I have however heard that the kit you are referring to comes with a drill bit epoxy and directions on exactly how to fix. Pretty sure you might have misread about the 2 inch holes in the floor, might be referring to the depth of the hole with the drill bit. If I'm wrong I apologize in advance but I looked into this a couple of years ago and at least sounds like it"s worth a try. If I recall the styrofoam is sandwiched between a thin sheet of aluminum on both side of the styrofoam. If I'm not mistaken I believe in the instructions it goes into detail about how to go about fixing the delamination or void. Not sure rather the kit comes with the syringe your going to need in order to be able to inject the epoxy into the floor or not but it also comes with little pegs that have to be hammered into the floor after drilling the hole to a certain depth to keep the epoxy in the floor. Good luck and let us know how it worked out for you.
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 05:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigd853 View Post
Hello sir, do a little bit more research. I've never heard of drilling 2 inch holes in the floor to fix the disbond issue you have. I have however heard that the kit you are referring to comes with a drill bit epoxy and directions on exactly how to fix. Pretty sure you might have misread about the 2 inch holes in the floor, might be referring to the depth of the hole with the drill bit. If I'm wrong I apologize in advance but I looked into this a couple of years ago and at least sounds like it"s worth a try. If I recall the styrofoam is sandwiched between a thin sheet of aluminum on both side of the styrofoam. If I'm not mistaken I believe in the instructions it goes into detail about how to go about fixing the delamination or void. Not sure rather the kit comes with the syringe your going to need in order to be able to inject the epoxy into the floor or not but it also comes with little pegs that have to be hammered into the floor after drilling the hole to a certain depth to keep the epoxy in the floor. Good luck and let us know how it worked out for you.
. So didn’t know there was a kit will google it thank you-and i am a female fyi. Haha. I am going for it
Old 03-28-2023, 05:46 AM   #6

I didn’t know there was a kit i will google it thank you and will keep you posted- i am female btw-thanks again
Old 03-28-2023, 08:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Sorry my bad and u go girl
Old 03-28-2023, 12:29 PM   #8

How did you get under slideout?
Old 03-28-2023, 12:36 PM   #9

Quote:
How did you get under slideout?
Hello, I am not familiar with your coach. If you could take a few pictures of where the problem is and the surrounding area I'm sure either I or some other individual on this site can offer reccomendations.
Old 03-28-2023, 02:12 PM   #10

I'm not familiar with the epoxy fix.

I have watched a video on YouTube by AZ Expert on repairing this issue.

The forum won't let me post the link so just go to AZ Expert's channel and search for:

How We Re-Built the Coachmen Ultra-Lite Trailer Floor: Apex Re-Visited dated January of 2022.

After seeing the failure mechanism and construction techniques outlined in the video, I'm having a hard time understanding how epoxy injection can result in a long term permanent fix.

I can also see why someone would be given an estimate of $5000 or more to do the repair in a manner I consider proper and long term.

Anyway, your RV, your choice. Best of luck to all of you do it your selfers.
jaydee325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:00 PM   #11

i don't see how the epoxy method will work, the foam floor is just not ridged enough and the supports to far apart. this is what i'm doing i just have a straight strip that gets foot traffic my slide moves on the carpet to the side. and will go right over the wood plank flooring i'm going to try. i'm sure this panel in the picture is what the floor is, the panel is what the wall is made out of. i'll run the interlocking planks 7/16 thick long ways and they should stiffen it up considerably. Jay D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7829[1].jpg
Views:	19
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	389082   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7831[1].jpg
Views:	16
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	389083  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN7832[1].jpg
Views:	17
Size:	140.2 KB
ID:	389084  
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:35 PM   #12

The floor shown in Jay D's photo is a composite panel made from a foam core and some wood skin. This type of construction is common in light weight structures. The composite panels can fail in a few different ways.
1. The foam core can crush. This can happen at local spot where something heavy was placed or where the floor is supported by the under lying beams
2. The face skins can fail in tension or compression.
3. The foam core can disbond from the face skins.
4. The foam core can fail in shear internally
Sag from too few supports in and of itself is not a failure but it can lead to failure because some of the stresses in the floor are a function of how far apart the supports placed. Local crushing of the core is not really a function of support spacing. If you noticed a change it feel of the floor, most likely there is already a failure.
To really understand the fix that needs to be made you have to determine the type of failure.
If the failure is from moisture intrusion, two things can happen. The core can disbond from the face skins and/or the face skin can fail because they are layers of wood glued together (think really thin plywood). Both of those are very difficult to repair without cutting out a section and splicing in a new piece. If you go that route the best thing is spice the cores together and then lap splice in the face skins back together.
Jay D's method may work depending on the failure because the wood is effectively making a second floor in parallel with the original floor. I would probably also add some extra supports.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2023, 11:34 AM   #13

Will take pictures as soon as i am finished painting on Friday-damage was caused from previous owner-i have had roof resealed and i believe the toilet leaked and he fixed

Tags
floor