Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2020, 10:21 PM   #1

Some question about full timer, please help.

Hi, Everyone. I am looking to buy a pickup truck and a travel trailer. Before I invest, I still have some question about camping world. I did some research said that travel trailer can't last longer and there are some brands you want to avoid.
My situation is I am graduated student and I want to own a RV trailer and go around the states. Forest River Aurora and Cherokee wolf up 21 ft trailer are on my wishing list. I want to know are these two TT reliable? I read some comments that these TT can't last longer, you need to repair or buy a new one every 3 years. I hear Airstream is reliable and last for decades, since they are so expensive which I can't afford it.
And can I know how much it would cost for annual maintenance cost for a 20ft travel trailer.
And I would like some advises from you all.
Thank you!
Towing Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2020, 12:29 AM   #2

Look into a Northwoods product. Even the older ones are a solid buy.
ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 07:23 AM   #3

Can't really speak to TT because I'm a 5th wheel guy.
However, I can definitely tell you this. You are a newbie and you do not need a new rig. Check consignment lots and buy used. Can't stress that enough. You will either find out that you like the life style and will learn what you need or can tolerate in your rig OR you will find out you don't like it and will get rid of the rig.

Either way you don't have as much invested and you don't take the depreciation hit of new.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #4

In 2020 I think the travel trailers are actually built better than 10 years ago. With YouTube you can look at any trailer you might think you want. And everyone on this forum should tell you that trucks are much better than 10 years ago. I have a 2013 travel trailer that has a lot life still in it. It is far from being done. Especially if you use it. A 21 foot travel trailer will be kinda easy to clean and condition the roof, check seals and wash and wax the trailer 1 time a year. Any 150/1500 series truck can tow a 21' travel trailer easy enough.

I would recommend a small Winnebago travel trailer because they have the best exterior finish which is fiberglass. You will want 1 slide as that makes any travel trailer a lot more livable.

For example YouTube Winnebago Micro Mini 1808FBS. I am thinking with a little care this trailer will last 12 - 20 years.

To maintain a travel trailer just be easy on things. Keep it clean, clean and condition the roof once a year. It cost maybe $100 a year to buy the stuff you need.

Keeping it clean is key. That means the propane hoses, battery, roof, sides etc.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:02 PM   #5

Here is that Winnebago from above.

https://youtu.be/jluvGJD7zv4
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:17 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The 3 year rule applies to how long a person keeps the TT before they upgrade because they find they need or want something bigger.

I purchased a used 24' Prowler TT in 1978 and we traveled the US in it until I bought my first MH in 1989. The only thing I did was reseal the roof every couple of years and replaced the foam padding in the seats. Everything else was still working beautifully when I sold it for what I gave for it.

IMHO, consider where you are going and how you are going to use it. The better the construction and insulation the more options you'll have. Keep it maintained and you should do well however, its mechanical so things will need your attention on a regular basis.

Enjoy - Richard
Old 07-19-2020, 07:30 AM   #7

What is your budget? Are you traveling alone or with someone? Are you boondocking or staying in campgrounds with hookups? How mechanical are you? Can you do minor repairs? All issues to be considered.
Typical considerations in smaller campers are size of the bathroom and shower. Sit on the potty, stand in the shower and turn around, see if it will work. Look carefully for water leaks in the roof, smell everything, test every system. Look for a little used trailer with a folder of records. It shows the owner cared for things.
I disagree on the TV thing. My 2004 silverado with 130K miles cost 4200. Did a shift kit, scangage, shocks and tires. Changed all the filters, fluids and belts. So far about 5000 miles towing without an issue. The GM LS v8 without cylinder deactivation is about as trouble free as they come. And more powerful than the ford trucks we drove.
Our camper is an evergreen ascend 19erd. No longer made but an excellent reputation. In a cabinet, taped to the door the owner put a list of every component in the camper with manufacturer's name and model number. Every manual for the components is in a notebook. We paid about 10K for it. So with about 16K into the rig we are camping without issues.
So keep reading and researching, take notes and good luck!
TIME2CAMP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
full time, full timer