Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #57

This is fairly interesting.

The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited is rated for much much more in other Countries.

Anyone have proof of higher jku tow capacity outside the USA? - Page 2

Australia's Jeep Wrangler is rated at 4800lbs.

"3.6L VVT 24V V6 petrol with 5-speed Automatic Transmission

Max Braked Gross Trailer Weight(6) (kg)
2200"
JaycoPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #58

Also of interest...

Anyone have proof of higher jku tow capacity outside the USA? - Page 3

Quote:
I spoke with an engineer from Chrysler and he told me there were several reasons.

Main reason was the litigious environment of the US.

They tested the JKU with trailer in death valley, baker, i70 west out of Denver. They expect the vehicle to maintain at least 45 mph on these grades. The JKU could not.

The axles, drivetrain, frame and hitch were up to the task, but ultimately ratings were set very conservative to avoid litigation over someone being stupid.

I am comfortable pulling up to 5k with an aux transmission cooler with my rubicon (4.11 gears).

Our boat and trailer are 4,000 lbs and it pulls great. No sway or sitting on the bumpstops. Pulls 70 mph fine.

My recommendation is to obey factory recommendations though.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #59

let us know how it works out.
mavagrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoPhoto View Post
Hi JaycoPhoto...we're kinda in the same situation...check my similar thread here:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f50/looki...tt-207098.html

We bought a 2014 Kia Sorento with the V6 because we wanted an SUV and it can tow 3500 lbs. We're now looking at TT's in the ultra lite class, around 2600 lbs range and found several we like. I've towed many times in the past like yourself, and don't think the Kia will have any issue pulling an 18' TT. However everyone here says to get a large truck to pull a small trailer, and I think it's because people of North America are so used to hauling with big pickups in the past that they think it's the only way to pull a trailer. But look at Europe where pickups are very rare. Everyone drives a car or SUV and they pull "caravans" all the time. While googling I came across this Youtube channel called Practical Caravan where they road test tow vehicles with 2500-3500 lbs trailers. If a VW Golf, Maxda 3, and several other vehicles with 3000-4000 lbs tow capacity can do it safely, then I believe my Kia and your Jeep can do it just fine. No weight distribution hitches or sway bars are used either. Just drop the trailer on the ball, hook up the power for lights and brakes, and they're off.

In fact, there's a video of the 2013 Kia Sorento (same as my model but with a diesel engine) pulling a 24.5' Swift Expression 586 at 3062 lbs. Plus various other vehicles pulling other trailers of various weights. So to say it's not a good idea or it's too hard on the vehicle, I think is just hooey from the mentality of "big trucks are required" here in North America.

No offense to any of the pickup owners here...I have nothing against them. It's just that I don't want a pickup again. I wanted a nice SUV for comfort that can also haul a trailer comfortably and the Kia seems well suited to it. I guess we'll find out...
compatico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:20 PM   #61

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
I'm not dead set, but it is the only vehicle I have. However, when I ask "Why can't a Jeep tow?" it seems the only answer that is given is "I wouldn't do it."

The same answers are regurgitated over and over without any facts. Its too small, its too light, or the typical "my (not a Jeep) couldn't do it."

The fact is, there isn't much difference between the Jeep Wrangler and the Ford Explorer numbers posted above... so other than the stigma of "I wouldn't do it", what facts can anyone present on why its not good to tow with a Jeep?

Where's the safety data? Where are the crash statistics? Where are the facts? If you don't own a Jeep, have never pulled with a Jeep, or have never ridden in a Jeep that was towing something... why bother answering?
Well the facts are that Chrysler rated your truck at 3500 lbs and Ford rated theirs higher. It must seem like the engineers sit down and do some black majic and issue a proclamation.

Maybe that is the way it is but they also take into consideration, drive train, transmission, rear end, motor, brakes, springs, yada yada yada.

You asked the question and you are getting honest answers from folks who have opinions. Some have been there done that and speak from experience. If you are not getting the answer you would like make your decision and go for it.

If you know all of the relevant numbers, GCVW, GVWR, GAWR (front), GAWR(rear), hitch weight, trailer weight loaded, Jeep weight loaded, check out the stats using this web site.

Travel Trailer Weight Calculator | Safety Report

IMO your are getting the best advice possible. But it is free and you know what free is worth. Bottom line you will be spending your money, putting yourself at risk (Note: towing of any sort will increase risk) and will be spending the money.

You do not need our permission to do this.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:23 PM   #62

Quote:
Same thing for my Kia Sorento - outside North America the rating is 4400 lbs, and here it's only 3500. Granted they use a 2.2L 4 cyl diesel instead of a 3.3L V6 gas, but from my reading everything else is the same. And based on how strong the V6 is in this truck, I feel the 4400 rating is more apt but liability keeps it at 3500. Fine with me as I will be pulling less than 3500 and I think the Sorento will be just fine.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by compatico View Post
Same thing for my Kia Sorento - outside North America the rating is 4400 lbs, and here it's only 3500. Granted they use a 2.2L 4 cyl diesel instead of a 3.3L V6 gas, but from my reading everything else is the same. And based on how strong the V6 is in this truck, I feel the 4400 rating is more apt but liability keeps it at 3500. Fine with me as I will be pulling less than 3500 and I think the Sorento will be just fine.
What's the curb weight of your Kia?
Old 06-12-2014, 07:38 PM   #64

I think you should both buy and prove people wrong. Because everyone here is telling you not to do it. I mean you asked for help.

So please post pictures of your vehicles all hooked up and give a review of how well it tows.

Also spent some time reading about the jeep towing a travel trailer and some people say it tows well others say not so good.
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:00 PM   #65

I would not be afraid to tow 150% the weight of the TV.
Sure it will be hard for some but needs to get use to.
I towed a 5600 lbs trailer with a 3400 lbs Ranger for 3 years and over 30k miles I never saw anyone else neither doing it. The truck had a std tranny with a wapping 150 HP.
The obstacle will be the cooling system. So driving properly will solve it.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #66

Yes, off roaders are usually bad TV due to high center of gravity, soft suspensions, short wheelbase. I am definitely in favor of German midsize SUVs and their clones, they pull beautifully and easily fit in the garage, but if I asked same questions on this forum I would get tons of negative answers from people who never had any experience using ML or Touareg as a TV. These vehicles are BAD off roaders, they are built for autobahn, with stiff suspensions, relatively small wheels, Allison-grade transmissions and bulletproof cooling.
4 door Jeep is rather unique, however. And the reason for it is good for an SUV wheelbase in combination with virtually absent rear overhang. So, I would not expect any sway or other control/safety problem with it. I beleive that class III hitch is a must, with WD and some sway control. Euro trailers are very light on the hitch, with only 100-150 lb of weight, you will have 2-3 times more. Electric brake control is necessary as well. You should evaluate cooling system, especially for the transmission, and upgrade if needed.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:24 AM   #67

I have towed with a ford explorer befor. I towed a hybrid rockwood roo. I lived to write about it. Like you, we stayed within the limits but i personally would not do it again. It was like the tail wagging the dog.
I tow a 30' fifth wheel with a f350 cc drw now and i love the towing experience now.
You are deadset on using your wrangler so i hope that it works out for you.
fishinjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:01 AM   #68

Quote:
What's the curb weight of your Kia?
It's about 3900 lbs but I round up to 4000.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:23 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by compatico View Post
It's about 3900 lbs but I round up to 4000.
That's lighter than my jeep!
Old 06-14-2014, 02:07 PM   #70

Sorry to have wasted your time. We traded in the Kia today and bought this. Still have the Jeep though
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140614_141802.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	255.3 KB
ID:	65401