Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-26-2021, 11:31 AM   #1

Soon to pick up my TT

I did ask those questions in another post but think it is better to open a new one instead...
I am going to pick up my TT on May 06th (2016 Bullet 248RKS). It is part of a trade in... It knew that it would arrive at the dealer on April 24 h, so today (Sunday 25 th) I went to have a look at it while no one was there, before they make it look pretty.
The tires DOT are 2 at 5215 and 2 at 0216. That is going to be part of the conversation if they are still on the trailer when I show up. There are supposed to put a new MVI on it so will see if at 5 1/2 years the tires are still "good"...
My trailer only has one battery and I don't know yet the size or age. One question I have concerns with, is the relation ship between the group (size) and the Ah (capacity). If I look for a 100Ah, what size / group should I be looking for.
Also, should I talk to them now to get a deal on tires and battery (or batteries as I want 2 of them) or wait until I see what they actually offer? The sale man said that when we come for the demo, if we go for it, they would install and set-up the WD hitch (part of the deal before putting money down to secure the TT) and I could go home with it... What do you think?
Elmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2021, 11:58 AM   #2

I will talk about batteries.

On my current trailer I did not want a small group 24 battery so I worked a deal on a group 31 battery. I said I would pay the $35 difference between a battery that is standard and a much much better battery. When I picked up the trailer they had a larger battery box plus the larger battery. I was happy to pay $35 for a much better battery.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #3

I asked them about a pair of GC2 (6v golf cart) batteries, which was less than a pair of 12v batteries...

I also searched online for GC2s and GC15s to see if the pricing was in line. (It was)

Definitely pay attention to the tires. In fact, I'd be calling them now and confessing that you 'snooped' over the weekend and are aware of the existing tires' age...

If there has to be a safety inspection before title can be transferred, find out if those tires will pass.
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First, remember that you are buying a used 2016 trailer and things will not be new. You will do better getting your tires at you local tire dealers than the dealer. He will slap on the cheapest junk he can get. As for batteries(y), just make sure it holds a charge. Use the batteries and tires as a negotiation point and get the price dropped accordingly so that you can replace the tires.

I would be more concerned with checking the insides for water intrusion. This can hide all sorts of damage in the walls and floor. The tires and batteries are easily corrected. Water damage can be very expensive to repair.

If the trailer has an ammonia smell in the fridge, the fridge is gone. If the trailer has a musty or moldy smell, look for a better trailer. It is or has been wet inside.

Ken
Old 04-30-2021, 08:11 AM   #5

Quote:
The tires DOT are 2 at 5215 and 2 at 0216.
That means that 2 tires were made the 52nd week of 2015 and the other two the 2nd week of 2016. So they are only 4 weeks apart in manufacturer date and with a 2016 trailer that isn't significant. What is significant is that the tires are now more than 5 years old and since you know nothing of their history, should probably be replaced with new before one or more experiences a blowout.

I tend to agree with Ken about where to get the tires, but they may be willing to replace them with new but not to lower the price enough for you to do so. A blown tire can do thousands of dollars of damage to an RV if it happens at highway speeds so tires are very important.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote