Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2005, 11:16 AM   #1

All,

I just got a new Hybrid Travel Trailer. Previously all I have camped in is a pop up. I know that this has to have been covered before, but what is the proper procedure for dumping at a dump station? If there are links, please feel free to post them.

I have read that your blank tank should be 2/3rds full before you dump. We only have a 30 gallon water tank, 25 gallon grey and 25 black.

What do you do if you are out of water and the black tank ins't 2/3rds full?

If you have water, do you run the pump to fill up the black tank?

Sorry for the duplication question, I just can't find it using search

symba's-den is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2005, 11:16 AM   #2

All,

I just got a new Hybrid Travel Trailer. Previously all I have camped in is a pop up. I know that this has to have been covered before, but what is the proper procedure for dumping at a dump station? If there are links, please feel free to post them.

I have read that your blank tank should be 2/3rds full before you dump. We only have a 30 gallon water tank, 25 gallon grey and 25 black.

What do you do if you are out of water and the black tank ins't 2/3rds full?

If you have water, do you run the pump to fill up the black tank?

Sorry for the duplication question, I just can't find it using search

Old 07-12-2005, 11:30 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Jeff,
Here's a ton of reading on the subject;

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=search&reqWords=blac...rum_scope=98960734 52

Good luck, Mike
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:24 AM   #4

Thanks for the link! It really answered a lot of questions. I think I will be installing the quickie flush as soon as I can.

As to filling up the black tank until then. If I have fresh water left, should I use my onboard pump to fill up the black tank? Seems like a lot of work for the pump, but if that is best, I can do it... (I won't be on a full hookup site, either dry camping or only electric)

Old 07-13-2005, 05:46 AM   #5

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">....As to filling up the black tank until then. If I have fresh water left, should I use my onboard pump to fill up the black tank? Seems like a lot of work for the pump, but if that is best, I can do it..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for me, the goal has never been so much to 'fill up the black tank' with clean water before dumping, but rather to just put enough in to help with the task.
Sometimes I'll just put in a couple gallons towards the end of the dumping procedure as kind of a help to get a clean tank. This just helps clean the tank. If I dump the tanks at the end of a long drive back towards home, i find i need less water.
Other times I will fill the tank. This is more if I have left the tank sit idle for a day or so.

Once you get that little Quickie-flush atatchment and can really SEE what is going on, you will become an expert very quick.

And i have never worried about straining that water pump. That little bugger seems to keep on plugging along with that moderate amount of use.

And if my black tank is only 1/3 full and we are done camping, we drain the tanks. I think that '2/3rds rule of thumb' is only trying to suggest that you not keep your drains wide open the entire time you are camping even if you DO have sewer connections.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:04 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree with FatDog;

We always maintain 5/6 galloons of treated water in the black tank. It keeps things soft and sloshes around while moving to help keep things cleaner.

While camping we keep both valves closed, opening only when near full, black first then rinse with grey. When breaking camp, black first rinse with grey, then put plenty more back in both tanks, hose, pump or street water however and dump again.

Finally put the 5/6 gals in both tanks (treated in black) to slosh while driving and do its thing until next trip.

Don't forget to keep an inch or two in the commode and to keep the traps under the sink and shower full to prevent odors from entering the rig during down time.

Hope this helps to answer your questions, if not just ask.

Mike
ParTheCourse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:19 PM   #7

I agree, the 2/3 rule is only to help flush the solids out. You do not need to add water to reach 2/3 if one uses enough water when flushing, and begins with about 3-5 gallons of water, then you should never have a problem. A side note; when traveling/camping in a hot dry climate pay attention to having enough water in the black tank. Evaporation will quickly eliminate the liquid in your tank if you didn't start out with that 3-5 gallon, leaving you with a problem. Of course this is not practical when dry camping or you'll run out of fresh water quickly, so extra water may be needed in the black tank when arriving at a dump station.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:29 AM   #8

Symbasden,

Enjoyed your posts over on PUX for tha past couple of years. We too moved up to a TT after the PU. I found that tyhe best thing to do is leave water in the tank at all times to help liquify everthing. I also throw a bag or 2 of ice down the potty after dumping. Helps with cleaning the walls and sensors.

I'm confused about the quickee flush. If you're not going to be on full hook ups when are you going to use the quickee flush? Using it at the dump station will be iffy when there are people waiting and my experiece has been that the hose at the dump station usually does not have end on it.
Cinrock is offline   Reply With Quote