Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2017, 06:59 PM   #15

Yeah i have a front hitch too and its super nice to wiggle into tight spots. I carry 6 bikes sometimes and front hitch wasnt gonna work for me. They have to go in the back. I have a kuat NV for 4 bikes and a northshore for my 6 bike trips both sit very high off the ground on the this and my previous trailer.
ajohansson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 06:43 AM   #16
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
good luck....no way I would trust that going down the road.
I agree - I had e-tracks (3) on a car trailer and have to say that I almost 'lost' the car, a high dollar street rod, when a rear tire strap, a US made, brand name, 3" wide commercial quality snapped on I-88 in NY. Luckily, I had chocks and the other two held. Even so, the car still danced sideways, with one tire half off the deck.

At least put a channel or tube stock bracket from the bumper to bolt that wheel-tire assembly in place. I do NOT want that tire through my grille or, worse, windshield when it comes loose.

And as far as warranty - that may be a minor problem if that tire comes loose
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:01 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohansson View Post
Finished this up. Ended up having the etrack chocks welded on to the bumper. Worked out slick. Here is the write up.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwJ...ew?usp=sharing
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
good luck....no way I would trust that going down the road.

I tend to agree. My concern is two fold.

First, on many TT's, attaching ANYTHING to the rear bumper can void the warranty. I know that is true for Forest Rivers, also others, but I can't quote them off hand.

Second, even if it doesn't void the warranty, I wouldn't be surprised to see the tire stay firmly attached to the bumper, until the bumper breaks off and hits the road at 65 mph because many TT rear bumpers are not fastened all the way forward to the TT frame, or if they are, they are not stressed for any additional loads. They are more of a holder for stinky slinkies, and not much else.

Oh, and on the Forest River, I made the dealer show me in writing where it stated that any modification, or installation of ANY items to the rear bumper voided the warranty. That was right before I pointed out that based on the letter of the warranty which he had just shown me, the DEALERSHIP HAD JUST VOIDED THE WARRANTY OF EVERY TRAILER ON THEIR LOT that they had bolted on "GRILL BRACKETS" to!

He didn't have an answer to that . . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:03 PM   #18

Seems like that although the top of the tire may not want to tip that the bottom could wiggle to either front or back of the bumper allowing it to slip out of the strap.
In theory this should work and not cause problem, but in reality just doesn't seem to have enough support should the unknown happen.
Nut4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:10 AM   #19

As far as the warranty and attaching anything to the bumper when i bought this brand new 2 months ago the spare tire holder was bolted to the bumper. How is what I have done any different as far as stress on the bumper? I will go as far as saying it provides even less stress that the factory bolt on design.

IC2, If this strap breaks holding on 30 lb tire i would be amazed. Yes i dont want to launch a tire down the road either thats why its built like a brick $h1t house on the bumper. I just traveled 250 miles yesterday highway and back dirt roads it did not budge. How did your strap break? Where did it snap? I am getting a cover made for it to keep the straps out of the sun.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:47 AM   #20
IC2

Quote:

IC2, If this strap breaks holding on 30 lb tire i would be amazed. Yes i dont want to launch a tire down the road either thats why its built like a brick $h1t house on the bumper. I just traveled 250 miles yesterday highway and back dirt roads it did not budge. How did your strap break? Where did it snap? I am getting a cover made for it to keep the straps out of the sun.
Why? Who knows why with a US made year old AeroQuip tie down strap. Where? 18-24 inches from the ratchet.

Good luck - and I still don't want to be behind you. Your choice --- and mine too.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:33 AM   #21

Quote:
As far as the warranty and attaching anything to the bumper when i bought this brand new 2 months ago the spare tire holder was bolted to the bumper. How is what I have done any different as far as stress on the bumper? I will go as far as saying it provides even less stress that the factory bolt on design.

Not sure what brand you have, but is it possible that the bolt on spare tire holder was added by the DEALER, and not the Manufacturer? I saw bolt on spare tire carriers at the Forest River Dealer as well as the Grill Holders. Both added by the Dealer, and Both voiding the warranty.

The Warranty is given by the Manufacturer, NOT the Dealership. If a Forrest River RV has the rear bumper break off, and it had a spare tire carrier installed, Forrest River would be within it's rights to refuse to pay for the repair. The owner could go after the Dealership, but the Dealership probably never gave the purchaser an additional "Warranty" covering the add on spare tire carrier that THEY added, and that voided the written warranty from Forrest River.

See where I'm going with this? Bottom line, the Dealership I visited, by it's own admission, voided the Manufacturers warranty by adding unauthorized, warranty voiding "upgrades" to the RV.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for the Dealership to step up to the plate when there is a failure!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 AM   #22

The brochure from the manufacturer on their website shows a spare mounted to the bumper.

People tie lots of stuff down to the back of vehicles. I dont take securing things lightly. If a 2000 lb rated 2" wide webbing strap breaks holding a tire in place i will let ya know.

I use sewn webbing at my work in rescue systems and have never seen one fail. The reason why is we are well within the rated limit just like I am here. Im more worried about a tire blow out on the TT than that webbing breaking.

AJ
Old 05-01-2017, 04:28 PM   #23

2 years ago I almost lost my whole bumper with only the factory placed spare tire on there. I noticed the tire sitting kinda funny when we stopped for lunch and that's the only thing that saved me from losing the whole thing. It had ripped the metal on the bumper where it was welded onto the frame. The welds held.....it was the thin walled bumper that started letting go. I won't put anything on that bumper now. There's a ton of bounce back there.
That really isn't what would worry me about this set up. I also wouldn't worry about the strap although I would replace that strap on a regular basis. I don't like not having something other than side to side down force keeping that tire from popping out front to back. Stuff happens. That strap stretches a little or the tire loses some air pressure and you really don't have anything there keeping that tire on the bumper. It's a pretty big gamble being placed on that strap holding that tire in place. Someone's life could depend on it.
0rion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:46 PM   #24

Thanks everyone. I will monitor and let ya know how it goes. Good points about the tire losing pressure thats the only one that to me has some real threat. Im not seeing any major bounce back there maybe its the shocks on the trailer axles that makes the ORV bumper hold up better.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:50 PM   #25

A fellow ORVer turned me on to this place. Professional Tie Down Systems for Any Vehicle

They make custom tire web straps.

I saw the erickson one but wanted the kit with the chocks and wasnt really in love with it. I may be getting a mac and repurposing my straps.

AJ