Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2016, 02:27 PM   #43

Carlisle tires "can" or maybe made in Franklin TN.... USA because they have globalised their tire business.

As I understand Carlisle tires were sold off to a venture capitalist but are still manufactured under the label as "Carlisle".
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2016, 01:40 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPr View Post
I also do not know of any ST or LT stil made in the USA.
There are quite a few LT tires made in the USA. My truck has USA-made Michelin LTs, for example.

If you look up the tire on TireRack.com they generally list country of origin for each size of that tire model (look under the "Specs" tab). You'll see lots of USA-made LTs.

My trailers run LTs made in Canada, and that's fine with me. I avoid China-made ST tires on anything but the smallest utility trailer, but I guess other folks are looking specifically for USA-made tires.
Yabbut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #45

hate to butt in here but if the Speed limit was 80 that dont mean you have to run 80. I went through SC earlier this on way back from Florida with "new" airstream and just ran 60 to 65 depending on wind direction and traffic.

Having a tire rated for 81 is nice but if you keep speed to low 60's you get better MPG and have more time to stop plus the tire will cost a bit less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarius10 View Post
I searched Etrailer.com and found some D rated ST tires with an 81 mph speed rating for my 14" wheels. They appear to be a good tire and work pretty good. I was looking for a higher speed rating due to living in SC with an interstate speed of 70 mph.
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:11 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
hate to butt in here but if the Speed limit was 80 that dont mean you have to run 80. I went through SC earlier this on way back from Florida with "new" airstream and just ran 60 to 65 depending on wind direction and traffic.

Having a tire rated for 81 is nice but if you keep speed to low 60's you get better MPG and have more time to stop plus the tire will cost a bit less.

I usually still drive at 65. However, I felt more comfortable knowing that to be rated at 81 mph, they should be constructed a bit better. It is a bit of piece of mind. I would do 70 to 75 on short trips (100 miles or less) for weekend get aways.
adarius10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 01:24 PM   #47

speed

I usually run about 60-65 that is fast enough for me especially pulling a trailer,I make very few stops and the rest of the traveling public can blow past if they want at my age I do not have to be in a hurry and a lot of times those that blow pass end up passing me again down the road because they make stops along the way.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:41 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenFla View Post
Carlisle tires "can" or maybe made in Franklin TN.... USA because they have globalised their tire business.

As I understand Carlisle tires were sold off to a venture capitalist but are still manufactured under the label as "Carlisle".
The Carlisle HD tire is available in ST205/75R 14. It is speed rated at 81 mph, 8 ply, and 65 psi. However it is made in China like all the other ST tires. I have been doing research for over a week trying to find a USA made 14" trailer tire, there are none available that I can find. They are all made in China, Indonesia, or Taiwan it seems..
JUS1MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #49

the LT265/75R16 Michelin tire show a speed rating of "R" 106 MPH. not sure how that related to TT usage but still over the 81 MPH of Carlisle HD.

the Michelin is a better tire all the way around and made in US vs china (bomb)

the weight rating is high as well it seems.
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires