Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #1

Hello, My wife and I have owned a 1989 Class C motorhome for about 3 years. I learned lots with the purchase of this RV and what to look for with any future used purchases.

We have decided to purchase a TT as we have a 1995 full size window van in excellent shape to tow with. We originally decided to purchase used as we didn't want to spend the money for new. We then ran accross the 2007 Starcraft ST 2700BH. This is large (29') has the options we were looking for including light weight (4000 lbs dry) and brand new at a dealer for $11,200. This is only a couple thousand more than we planned on spending and seems very nice for a entry level TT. Does anybody have any experience with the Starcraft ST series of campers?

Much thanks, and great forum!
smblack8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:33 PM   #2

Hello, My wife and I have owned a 1989 Class C motorhome for about 3 years. I learned lots with the purchase of this RV and what to look for with any future used purchases.

We have decided to purchase a TT as we have a 1995 full size window van in excellent shape to tow with. We originally decided to purchase used as we didn't want to spend the money for new. We then ran accross the 2007 Starcraft ST 2700BH. This is large (29') has the options we were looking for including light weight (4000 lbs dry) and brand new at a dealer for $11,200. This is only a couple thousand more than we planned on spending and seems very nice for a entry level TT. Does anybody have any experience with the Starcraft ST series of campers?

Much thanks, and great forum!
Old 01-17-2007, 03:19 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Welcome to iRV2!. I do not have any info regarding the Starcraft, but I did tow a 29' TT all over the country with a van when our kids were young. Which van do you have?
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:44 AM   #4

Our van is a 1995 (last year of the old style) Chevy Beauville Sportvan(not exactly sporty!) It has a 350 and 3.42 axle. Manual says 5500 lbs max for this combonation and 6500 if it had the 3.73 axle.

We plan on doing most of our camping in Michigan so I'm not to worried if I remain in this weight range. We are getting anxious to get out this Spring. We have a 18 month old daughter and another child on the way.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:03 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Congratulations! We traveled to all 48 Continental States with our kids in a van and TT.

Be careful about overloading the van. Once you add water, food, clothing, toys and other STUFF you will probably challenge your weight limit. You must also include the weight of passengers and gear in the van. Our 1994 Ford van went thru 3 rear-ends during our travels. All the dealers who worked on it assured me that I was not overweight. I may not have been overweight, but I am sure the strain I put on the van caused the rear-ends to fail. You might want to get the rear-end gearing changed to give you some margin.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to have you on IRV2. Don't know much about Starcraft except we had a StarLite pop up in the early 80's. It served us well.

Like noted, watch the drive train on the van, if it is the 1500, 1/2 ton van. The 2500 series had a better axle.

Plan to add an external transmission cooler to help the transmission and change the fluid at 20,000 mile intervals. Heat is a big killer on transmissions.

My father in law uses a 5.7L, 2500 Suburban with a 4.10 axle to tow a 30' Silver Streak and does fine.

Ken

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:31 AM   #7

Thanks for the info. It is a G20 which the window sticker claims 3/4 ton. It has the trailer towing package which includes both a trans cooler and oil cooler which should help some. Although the van runs/drives great and uses no oil it does have 100,000 miles so I do have some concern for the rearend.