Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2021, 11:09 PM   #1

Step By Step

Hi there,

I'm new to RVing and I have watched a ton of YouTube videos and am reading my owner's manual...but I am still confused on some of the initial set up things.

I have a 2019 Outdoors RV Creekside 21 DBS Mountain series

I would love some sort of "steps" check list to go over when arriving at a campground for both boondocking and full hook up camping. Mostly, making sure I turn on my pump and water heater on correctly (for starters)

Could someone help me with this? My user manual doesn't really go over any steps in the process and the videos I am watching have different information.

For example, when boondocking:
-Fill up fresh water tank
-get drive to campground
-turn on water pump
-check faucets to make sure water is coming out to confirm water is in the water heater tank
-once water is flowing, turn on water heater from the inside command center
**what else am I missing?
**do I keep the water pump on the whole time we are camping or turn it on when we are going to use the water?

When camping with full hookups:
- connect water pressure regulator to hose source
- turn hose on to make sure there is no debris in the hose
- connect hose to trailer city water hook up
- ** do not turn on pump when connected to city hook up
- turn 110 volt water heater button (on outside of trailer to ON)
- once water heater tank is full (confirming this by turning on water on faucet until water easily flows out), turn on water heater switch inside at command center.
**what else am I missing here?

When camping trip is over:
- Drain all tanks
- drain water heater and hot and cold low lines (my low point hot and cold lines under the trailer don't have caps on them...is that normal?)

I would LOVE any advice on set up and take down steps.

Thank you so much!
AlisonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2021, 03:10 AM   #2

The internet has a wealth of RVing checklists peruse through them and pick what tweaks your interests.

The Google box at page top is your friend, type in your search parameters and it will only search irv2.com by default.
We're all here to help each other ask anything about RVing and someone will have the right answer.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 03:45 AM   #3

You forgot to fill up with fuel for you tow vehicle and go to the bathroom before you go on any trip.

You are making it way too difficult. Just relax and enjoy forgetting a thing now and then. Do not ever forget to chock the tires. That is one big item.

Use common sense like boondocking you know you will need propane to run the hot water heater and refrigerator - right? Also you will need water in the fresh water tank - to me, that is just common sense.

You can break any action into a minute activity. Like put on pants and shirt. Button the shirt and pants. Left arm 1st in the shirt or right leg in the pants etc.

Again - don't forget any big ticket items and you will be fine. Just use common sense.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:35 AM   #4

You might want to modify your full hookup routine so that you turn external switch (120) on water heater after you run water. This way you will not burn up the heating element before you even sit down. Also, no need to drain fresh water system unless it is the end of the season. This is not rocket science so relax and you will develop a routine based on whatever checklist you choose. Remember, this hobby is supposed to be fun.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:55 AM   #5

I forgot to address your water pump question for boondocking. You may leave it on all the time or only when required, it's entirely your choice. When it is turned on and briefly runs when water is not being drawn, this means the fresh water plumbing has a small leak somewhere.
As Martian said, there is no need to drain your fresh water system after every camping trip, the residual chlorine in city water will easily keep it fresh for a week or more.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:48 AM   #6

While boondocking, if my water heater is turned on, I leave the water pump on the entire time.

A step by step guide to setting up is something you'll create for yourself as you do it a few times. I try and make sure I do it the same way each time. The biggest problem comes when someone comes over to talk to me when I'm setting up or taking down camp. That's when things get overlooked.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:12 PM   #7

Both my water heater and water pump is off when not needed. Why leave the water pump on or the water heater on?
Old 06-30-2021, 12:39 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have had 7 campers. The setup and take down of all of these have been different. There are some common threads between all campers. but there is different procurers my models and manufactures. Example: some manufactures say level camper before putting out the slids out, while other manufacture say level after putting slid out. Some manufacture say connect to shore power or run generator before running silds and others don't mention it.

Its good to have other people check lists and pick up on the common threads. But I would only consider using a list from someone who has the same camper.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:09 AM   #9

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Welcome fellow RV neighbor, you my have already considered some of what I will point out so forgive if you have. Most what you have listed out will come naturally, trust me if you forget to turn on the water pump or the water heater you’ll remember just take time to familiarize yourself where the switches and valves are located. The water pump and many other items in the RV are 12 volt all the time and will not matter when hooked to shore power.

It would be better to create a pre trip check list for the Tow Vehicle (TV) Hitch and Travel Trailer (TT) to insure a safe trip. Example:

Tow Vehicle:
Registration & Insurance up to date
Fluid levels & serviced
Tire general condition (before, during & after)
Tire pressure adjustments for load
Lights, Tail, Turn & Stop
Inspection of undercarriage (loose,leaking or hanging)

Hitch:
Coupler locked
Hitch pins locked in place
Light cord and breakaway ( no cuts, exposed wires & safely supported)
Safety Chains

Travel Trailer:
Tires properly inflated for the load being carried (not necessarily max. cold inflation)
Wheel bearing and wet bolt service up to date
Load balanced
Vents, Doors, TV’s and Refrigerator locked in place
Lights, Tail, Turn & Stop
Inspection of undercarriage (loose,leaking or hanging)

Basic Pre Trip Inspection will insure fun memories. You’ve got to get there first before this new toy can be enjoyed. No matter how comfortable the rig may feel never overdrive your confidence and stay out of the left lane, nothing good happens in the left lane.
Keep your speed 65 and under lower until you get the feel of how the wind buffets you around, roughs in the road and being passed.
Always remember your TT is in a tornado every time it’s pulled. The suspension was never engineered to be drug at high speed.

Relax have fun with it as stated earlier the food, water and what you forget to turn on will come back to you.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:25 AM   #10

Have owned one type of RV or another for over 30 years. The one thing that has kept us safe is a “walk around”. I do this before every departure, and at every stop.

Take your time until you get more acquainted with your RV. Bad things happen when folks get in a hurry.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Have owned one type of RV or another for over 30 years. The one thing that has kept us safe is a “walk around”. I do this before every departure, and at every stop.

Take your time until you get more acquainted with your RV. Bad things happen when folks get in a hurry.
The walkaround is critical.

Doing a walkaround at every stop is also important, to make sure nothing has changed, kick the tires, check the chains.

I haven't done it, but have seen recommendations to use one of the IR Thermometer guns to check hub temps to make sure bearings are not overheating. I still remember coming down Pike's Peak (with nothing in tow) and having the Ranger use one of the IR Thermometers to check brake temps. Need to toss my IR gun into the tool bag.
Old 07-01-2021, 10:35 AM   #12

Boondocking or CG with hookups

Fresh water tank is filled prior to travel
Water pump is turned On upon arrival
Water Heater....I check that valving is correct
*Cold water in open, bypass closed, hot out open (have 3 valve system)
***some do not have hot out just check valve...key is Bypass CLOSED
Then with pump on...open faucet hotside and bleed any air out/ensure water flows
Turn On water heater.....propane/boondocking or electric/hookups

Pump is ALWAYS ON
Only runs 'on demand'......if it cycles then you have been alerted to a LEAK
WE only use fresh water tank/pump

Water Heater ON....like Hot water WHEN I want Hot water (just like at home)...not 20 minutes later cause I have to turn it on and wait
Fridge ON....just like home

Furnace On if cold....just like Home

A/C....On if Hot....generator if boondocking

RV is just like home except on wheels
Use it accordingly

Simple............
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #13

There is no shame in two walk arounds. And no shame when any doubt, no mater how small, STOP, and make sure you erase any doubt.

Backing into a spot, no shame in stopping, getting out to double check your surroundings.

Moving from one campsite to another campsite is both fun and loaded with chances to make a mistakes. So those serious walk arounds are important.

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
Old 07-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
There is no shame in two walk arounds. And no shame when any doubt, no mater how small, STOP, and make sure you erase any doubt.

Backing into a spot, no shame in stopping, getting out to double check your surroundings.

Moving from one campsite to another campsite is both fun and loaded with chances to make a mistakes. So those serious walk arounds are important.

Sent from my SM-G930V using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
I set up/tear down outside---she does the inside
Then we swap and check each other
**She has found MORE OPPS then I have LOL
Then we both do a final check.
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote