Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #1

stiff sewer release valves

Over the past few months, on our 11' Open Range Journeyer, our Gray and Black water release valves have become SO stiff, hard to pull open, hard to close completely. The gray valve has started not closing completely (still has about a 1/2"+ gap to the wall) and now there is a slow drip coming out of the drain pipe and I wanted to know what to do about this? I am guessing replace the cables? But I have no idea what to look for or if there is something I can do with the current installation.

Thanks
IrieByTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
On our old Travel trailer I got some "Fluid Film" spray on lubricant and when the valves were open at the Sani Dump I sprayed the rods heavily with the stuff and started working the handles in and out. After about three or four minutes on each they moved in and out quite easily.

After removing the slinky hose I also sprayed up inside into the Tee and attempted to get some of the lubricant onto the plastic gates to aid the sliding. This also made opening and closing a lot easier, YMMV but this simple solution worked for me.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
On our old Travel trailer I got some "Fluid Film" spray on lubricant and when the valves were open at the Sani Dump I sprayed the rods heavily with the stuff and started working the handles in and out. After about three or four minutes on each they moved in and out quite easily.

After removing the slinky hose I also sprayed up inside into the Tee and attempted to get some of the lubricant onto the plastic gates to aid the sliding. This also made opening and closing a lot easier, YMMV but this simple solution worked for me.
Where could I find the Fluid Film? Home Improvement store I assume? If I can't find that, then would you think WD40 would be an option?
Old 05-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #4

You may try some fabric softener down the drains to try and lubricate the rubber seal. Does yours use cables? On my jayco and others that i have owned it uses a aluminum rod that screws on the valve and then comes out to the side of camper.
You may check underneath to see if anything looks like it might shifted and causing the problem.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lx22 View Post
You may try some fabric softener down the drains to try and lubricate the rubber seal. Does yours use cables? On my jayco and others that i have owned it uses a aluminum rod that screws on the valve and then comes out to the side of camper.
You may check underneath to see if anything looks like it might shifted and causing the problem.
Our valves do use cables, the valves are in a cabinet on the side of the camper and the cable I have seen them when looking behind that cabinet where the undercarriage holds our fresh water and all the unseen plumbing.

Never heard about the fabric softener, sounds like an additional thing to do along with lubricating the valves when released and working it into the cables...
Old 05-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrieByTheSea View Post
Where could I find the Fluid Film? Home Improvement store I assume? If I can't find that, then would you think WD40 would be an option?
I got mine from a Canadian DIY store called Canadian Tire. I would suggest if you can't find Fluid Film Fluid Film Rust Protection you try to locate LPS1 LPS 1® Greaseless Lubricant, 11oz. Net Wt. Aerosol, distributed by R.S. Hughes - Industrial Distributor - Tapes, Adhesives, Abrasives, Safety, and Electronic Products which is an equally good product. I used the FF spray because I had that with me in the trailer.

WD40 I believe is what caused my units to stick in the first place. The gent I bought the trailer from was addicted to the stuff and sprayed it everywhere.

Hopefully this will help solve your problem. BTW I use either spray (whichever is handiest at time of need) to spray on the ball of the receiver whenever I attach a trailer to it.
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It's probably a good idea to try the easy things first, but I wouldn't assume that the valves themselves don't need replacing. They're cheap and if you can get to them, I would replace them before they get so stiff that the handle comes off in your hand. Then the trouble really begins.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #8

Camco makes a rv drain valve lubricant, and I have purchased it in the RV section at WalMart. Don't know if you can still find it there or not, but here's a link to it at Amazon: Camco 40246 RV TST Drain Valve Lube with Coco Oil - 16 oz : Amazon.com : Automotive
danandcarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I was told to use vaseline. But I never could figure out where? Anyone hear of that?
Old 05-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
You might try a bottle of mineral oil or olive oil into an empty tank. Then dumping while operating the valve.