Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #1

Does anyone have a contact or contacts for storage of a TT in Western Pennsylvania mines?
I have heard of three or so but have no information on locations or how to contact them.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2008, 04:38 PM   #2

Does anyone have a contact or contacts for storage of a TT in Western Pennsylvania mines?
I have heard of three or so but have no information on locations or how to contact them.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Larry
Old 01-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #3

http://www.gatewaycc.com/
Old 01-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #4

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Larry:

Welcome to irv2.com. I've been storing my TT for the last 4-5 years at Bradys Bend Underground Storage. The winter storage season (which the prices for General Storage are based on) runs from September to May 1st. I've never encountered any problems storing my TT there.

It's an easy process. You follow a guide into the mine and he directs you into the space where you park your rig. Then, you make certain all your vents are closed, remove your battery and go home to wait for spring. The only other preparation necessary before storing is removing your propane tanks. For an extra charge, Bradys Bend offers a drop-off/pick-up service so you don't even have to go inside the mine if you don't want to. This is great for those who are claustrophobic or are uncomfortable with being underground.

When I retrieve my TT in the spring, the only thing I have to do (besides reinstall the battery) is pump up the tires.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
You have the info for Gateway and Brady's Bend.

The third is US Storage in Cabot PA. Phone 724-352-7122
Old 01-28-2008, 11:11 PM   #6

Hey, those are very reasonable. Wish I lived closeby. Interesting info.
MT flyfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 02:18 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Me too! No winterizing!
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:20 AM   #8

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I still winterize my TT even though I store it underground. I do this because it can be below freezing before I have the opportunity to store it or after I retrieve it. For the cost of two gallons of RV antifreeze and about a half-hour of my time, it's better to be safe than sorry.

If the weather permits, I'll also scrub down the roof and wash the TT before storing. This way, you can start with a clean unit when you get it out for the season. When I used to keep it outside for the winter, it was always FILTHY by the time spring rolled around.

One other thing I also do before storing the TT for the winter is remove all my food, bathroom, cleaning items and anything else that might freeze and cause a problem. I also remove the TV (that's television folks, not tow vehicle), VCR/CD player, electric heater and the TT's spare tire. I store all of these in the house and try to use items like deodorant, toothpaste, etc. Then I buy new ones for the next camping season.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #9

Frank, do you get any unwanted musty odors from being stored underground? I used to store my boat at Gateway, and used to place pie tins with charcoal in it, to help absorb some of the odors, but it still had a musty smell come spring. I was wondering on how an RV would fair duel underground storage. Thanks
Old 01-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #10

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Gruss:

Yes, there are moisture management issues. Bradys Bend Underground Storage is a mined out section of a limestone mine. Limestone is still being mined there but it's far away from where the storage area is. The mine has a consistant temperature somewhere in the 50s year 'round. However, it is somewhat humid and this is one of the reasons why you need to ensure all your vents are closed before storing.

I have heard horror stories about mold and musty smells from people that have stored their RVs in mushroom mines, though.

In the office where you check-in/out they sell moisture absorbing chemicals. There's a two-pack that they sell (I don't recall the exact cost but it's somewhere around $10.00). You get two cloth bags of moisture absorbing chemicals (which I think is something like calcium chloride), two plactic buckets (that I estimate to be of about a 1/2 gallon capacity) and two strips of wire mesh. You place the wire mesh strips in an arc (like the Arch at St Louis) inside each bucket and place the bag of chemicals on top. I put one bucket in my kitchen sink and the other in the bathtub. When I return in the spring, there is usually somewhere between an inch or two of water in each bucket.

There are some folks that use charcoal and claim to have just as good results so I guess it's up to you as to which moisture control method you prefer.

Like I mentioned before, I've been storing my TT this way for the last 4-5 years and every spring when I go to retrieve it, I open the door, step inside, take a sniff, and it smells like... our trailer. I've never noticed any musty smell... ever.

Boats pose an entirely different problem with moisture because they're mostly open. At Bradys Bend, they used to charge more for boats because they wrapped them up in plastic to help keep the moisture at bay. However, their web site now shows the same price for boats and RVs so maybe they discontinued the practice. Did they wrap the boats at Gateway?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #11

You folks are the greatest. Good info.
Thank you so much.
See ya' down the road.
Larry
Old 02-01-2008, 11:41 AM   #12

Frank thank you for the info.