Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2020, 04:16 PM   #1

Storing Dicor Sealant after opening

Anybody had any luck storing the 10oz tube of Dicor Sealants after opening them? I have tried using the Orange "Screw" Caulk saver from Harbor Freight with no luck. I use those regularly for construction adhesive. I don't mind the cost as much as I mind not having it on hand when I want it. Currently, I want to reseal the roof side edges, the front window, all the marker lights, the tail lights, and the slide rubber gasket to fiberglass side. Ideally I'd do this a few hours at a time over the course of a few days. It is a lot of masking and caulking for one session for me so I'd like to store the tube of sealant for a few days at a time.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2020, 04:23 PM   #2

I will sometimes use a large "Yellow" wirenut that has the sealant in it. Tends to hold on better, seal a bit better, and much less 'cured' dicor to squeeze out.

Depending on style of your caulk gun, you may be able to use "sausage gun" nozzles over the plastic tip of tube. These are removable, cleanable, and allow you to cut back the plastic tube back a lot to clear a blockage (cured sealant).

https://www.amazon.com/SUPER-NOZZLE-...ulk+gun+nozzle
Krbjmpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 04:28 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Same as above for short term storage. I use a large blue wire nut as I tend to cut a larger opening on the nozzle.
Old 11-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yes always a issue. I don’t think there’s a way for longer term, but for short term, couple weeks maybe a month, I run a bolt in the end same size as the cut opening and run a couple wraps of masking tape around it... biggest thing you want to keep the air out.

Today I was just joint and seem sealing the car I’m restoring, had a tube I did this to that sat for 4 weeks.. no problem.... air tight as you can.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:34 PM   #5

Buy the aluminum foil tape they sell at homedepot by the furnace stuff. Forms a permanent airtight seal. Just cut a piece about 4 inches long, fold over the tip, seal the sides by pinching... all done...

Piece of ziploc bag and a rubber band work great too...
bpu699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:08 AM   #6

I saw this method online, and it seems to work for short-term storage (a few weeks). I'll let you know next Summer if it works for longer-term.

1) Cut the finger off a nitrile glove- say, two inches or so
2) Slip the piece over the end of the tube, leaving about a half-inch beyond the end of the nozzle
3) Use duct tape to secure the piece to the nozzle. A couple of wraps with a piece about 5 inches long seems to work best.
4) "Inflate" the piece of glove until it's full with the caulking tube contents

Note: If you notice any of the contents oozing out a hole in the piece of glove, start over.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 07:30 AM   #7

I have tried all of the above with limited success (ok for short term, but not more than a month or so). I read this tip on the internet, and have tried it a couple times. Seems to work, but not sure how long term yet. Light a jar candle, and then dip the end of the tube in the melted wax a couple times to get a wax seal over the tip. It's worth trying, and easy enough.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 01:32 PM   #8

I've had really good luck with these. I think I got them at Lowe's
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_0536b.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	639.0 KB
ID:	306730  
Old 11-02-2020, 01:50 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tiny Prophylactics made for saving tubes of stuff. I have some too, they work great.
Old 11-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpu699 View Post
Buy the aluminum foil tape they sell at homedepot by the furnace stuff. Forms a permanent airtight seal. Just cut a piece about 4 inches long, fold over the tip, seal the sides by pinching... all done...

Piece of ziploc bag and a rubber band work great too...
+1 on the foil tape. Just 4" is little overkill for me. I just tear a small piece of a tape and try to fold it nicely at the tip. All you need is just an airtight seal. Works great so far on everything I've tried.
OFilippov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:48 PM   #11

I've used screws for 40+ years to seal caulks once opened and have had it last a year or more. Once caulks are over a year to 2 old beyond the manufacture date, throw it away. Dicor specially, most places have a year old or more dicor there selling, a year is all dicor allows according to Dicor!
Conesus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:50 PM   #12

Thanks. I have lots of wire nuts, the aluminum foil tape, and the nitrile gloves. I will try all three over the next few weeks.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #13

Short term, duct tape also works.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:39 PM   #14

Dicor lap sealant? Does it ever really cure? I live where the daytime temps are over 100 from late May to late September and the one sealant that has never dried in the tube is Dicor Lap Sealant.

However, another easy trick is once you have picked your favorite plugging method, put the tube in the fridge. For longer times, the freezer. Low temps slow down all chemical reactions.

I've done this with some Dow Flourosilicones that are extremely expensive and I only use a half-oz or so at a time - and it has worked for years.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dicor, seal, sealant