Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 12:22 PM   #1

Storing with some in Black Tank

Hi, we are newbies! Just took our TT out for the first time for two days. Now we have to fly back to midwest for a reunion. My question, and I seem to get a lot of different responses... but since we were only in the trailer for two days and I have heard you should not empty your tank until it is 2/3 full, can we store it for a couple weeks with some in the black tank???? I put extra water in the tank every time I flushed... I just don't want to come back and have wrecked the thing!! I also put some chemical in there so it wouldn't smell. Are we going to have a problem??
quick answers would be appreciated since we are taking it back today and I would like to know what you all think.
THANK YOU
pmaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #2

Add a bit more water and you should be fine.....
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:28 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Best to dump it and flush it and put a level of fresh water in it........sitting and stinking will attract sewer fly's/gnats down from your roof vent.........I just went through it, did not dump after coming home from down south, used the bath after a month or so, flushed and small flys came up out into the bath. Dumped and flushed.......gone.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:48 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I bought my rig consigned to a really lousy dealer (Darren Bideoux RV Ogden Utah)by the bank that had repo'd it. The lousy dealer had tis rig for nearly 2 years. When I first looked at it, the black tank showed full; I just figured the sensors were bunk, normal ops for these things. NOPE!! The black tank had been full for two years; the ousy dealerhad not even emptied the tanks as part of their consignment duties. IT STUNK UP A FLYING J when I emptied it, that takes some doing!! But no gnats or flies, and once I drove away from the Flying J, no smell...
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #5

You don't have to wait till 3/4 full to dump. That's someone being confused between dumping with a lot of water vs the tank filling up. I would not let mine sit long unused with any debris in the tank, that's just asking for issues. It only takes a few minutes, dump it, flush it, leave it with about 5 gallons of water and a cup of liquid laundry detergent in it to slick it up.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:30 PM   #6

….length of time, weather conditions [heat], and chemicals used, all contribute to how long you can "hold." Generally speaking, you can go about a month before things start to turn south on you. You can dump anytime, just use lots of water to flush. So holding for a couple of weeks with chemical treatment will be fine....Having said that, when possible, I prefer to dump rather than "hold"......
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:41 PM   #7

I would fill and dump the tank before letting it sit. You might as well start off by doing it right, right from the start.
Store with 5 gallons or more of fresh clean water.
Chemicals are optional. Personally I do use chemicals for added odor control.
Lynn
Old 06-20-2019, 01:57 PM   #8

DUMP IT. Takes only a few minutes. Add THETFORD chemical to the toilet with
some fresh water. At least a cup of the chemical. You will not have to worry about what might happen.
16 years of doing this while traveling in all the lower 48 states.
Regards,
JimB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #9

I also vote to dump it. It's not fun, but it's better than coming back to learn that your gate valve didn't quite seal and you now have a teepee of sadness to deal with. Just give it a good flush then add 5 gallons of water and enjoy your reunion.
Itchytoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #10

If you have used plenty of water as you say, have used control chemicals, park it and don’t worry about it. Have a nice trip. Some of us can go several weeks without dumping the black tank. Grey a little more often.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:35 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You will be fine no matter which way you go but the more water you use with each flush the better your luck will be. And always start with at least 5 gallons after each dump. I add 10 gallons since my black tank holds 40. You don't want a dry tank ever.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 10:07 AM   #12

Fast Flush

The purpose in waiting until full to dump black tanks is to provide a fast flush action during the dump. This tends to flush out solids.
The same effect can be achieve by filling the black tank with fresh water just before dumping.

The dreaded poo pyramid is the thing to avoid. Solids can build up into an immovable pile on the bottom of the black tank if not flushed out.

The other bad thing is when poo is left for a long time and dries in the tank. A special power washer will probably be required to remove it. Making sure there is plenty of water in the tank for storage helps to prevent this.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 04:24 PM   #13

Storing with stuff in the black tank sounds like a bad idea. I have never done that as dumping the black tank and flushing the black tank was always a priority. I stored for 2 weeks with fresh water and chemicals in the black tank with no problem.

You can add fresh water thru the commode to fill the black tank before dumping if you want to. I have dumped 1/4 full black tank without any problem.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #14

Dumping short

You can dump a black tank short and not have any problems. You can dump a black tank short a few times and not have any problems. You can dump a black tank short many times and not have any problems.

Do you feel luck?

How many times can you dump short?

When your 30 gal black tank only holds 15 gallons, what are you going to do about it. See old posts on iRV2.

When you flush one more time and the drain plugs solid, what are you going to do about it. See old posts on iRV2.

Many folks dump short. No question about it.
Persistent is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank