Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2021, 01:16 PM   #1

Stupid Question #1 from first-time owner--wall-mount AC

Forest River 180RT. AC is a wall-mount unit. If I remove the interior flashing around the unit and peer inside, there's a huge space that's just...space, and I can see thru to outside through the exterior grill. Vents thru the wall but appears to have some sort of roof vent as well for the cut-out space. Is that to vent hot air during operation? Anything to watch for with respect to water infiltration? Lastly, when the unit is running, the condensate simply runs out of the bottom of the exterior grill down the siding. Normal or should there be a dedicated drain somewhere? The whole affair just seems cobbled together.

Thx in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3108.png
Views:	81
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	337201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3097.png
Views:	70
Size:	1.96 MB
ID:	337202  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3098.png
Views:	55
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	337203  
Badjuju is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2021, 02:08 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
I can't find anything in the brochure, or on units currently for sale, anything about a wall mounted AC unit. Apparently, a standard roof mounted AC unit was at least optional. But, without knowing what year your TT is, it's hard to tell.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
Apparently, a standard roof mounted AC unit was at least optional. But, without knowing what year your TT is, it's hard to tell.
It's a 2018. There is no indication on the interior ceiling that the unit ever had a roof mount AC--appears to be all original and unmolested. Suppose it's possible the wall unit was added after it left the factory. Not a very sanitary install if so--looks like something a 12 yo kid would build.

Gets back to the question as to what sort of issues I could have with water infiltration. No evidence of any stain/rot on the interior wall or floor.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:26 PM   #4

Side wall amounted small A/C Unit...standard installation for it
Has to drip condensate and blow hot air OUTSIDE

Roof Vent...that is for your Fridge

Did you get a owners manual with that trailer?
If not go to Forest River Website and download the Manual for your trailer...Salem or Wildwood version
Although they are pretty generic it might help you understand you trailer systems
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Side wall amounted small A/C Unit...standard installation for it
Has to drip condensate and blow hot air OUTSIDE

Roof Vent...that is for your Fridge

Did you get a owners manual with that trailer?
If not go to Forest River Website and download the Manual for your trailer...Salem or Wildwood version
Although they are pretty generic it might help you understand you trailer systems
Roof vent is in the rear of the unit directly over the AC, nowhere near the fridge. Has to be just a vent for hot air from the AC, but the unit has a wall vent for the evap coils. Condensate runs out of the wall grill and drips down the siding. Inelegant but simple, I suppose.

I'll try to find the trailer info at FR website.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:46 PM   #6

That looks to be a window mounted A/C, often included on Jayco trailers, that has been made to mount through a wall. Because the installer didn't want it to extend beyond the exterior wall, a cabinet was build on the interior and the rear of the unit is flush against the inside of the outer skin. Ordinarily, heat from the unit and condensate would simply dissipate to the outside air, but since the condenser and evaporator are inside, the cabinet has to retain it all, with the heat being vented through the roof vent, and the condensation dripping out the side wall.

Now, the rear of the unit should be sealed against the inside of the exterior wall. I cannot visualize what you described in the op, that you could see the outside, through the outer screen, by looking through the space inside the cabinet. A picture of that view would help. If you can see to the outside from the surrounding space of the unit, and it is a view that does not go through part of the unit itself, then there is a gap in which outside water can enter.

From the pictures you posted, I assume the interior flashing is the black trim between the unit and cabinet. Removing that would expose everything between the cabinet and unit. Being able to see through to the outside from that space is a problem, IMO.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badjuju View Post
Roof vent is in the rear of the unit directly over the AC, nowhere near the fridge. Has to be just a vent for hot air from the AC, but the unit has a wall vent for the evap coils. Condensate runs out of the wall grill and drips down the siding. Inelegant but simple, I suppose.

I'll try to find the trailer info at FR website.

You have a 'unique' trailer....LOL
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:59 PM   #8

Looks like a standard "Window Shaker". The roof vent is to allow air to be drawn in to be expelled out the back grill. Yes it is normal for these to be empty in the middle. Condensate is drained at the rear of the unit. Some spray the water at the condenser to assist cooling.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:35 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Stupid Question #1 from first-time owner--wall-mount AC

Many small trailers use a common window a/c in a box. Look at all the teardrop and large teardrop styles. That’s all they use.
800$ roof ac and bracing vs 150$ low cost window ac in a box inside so it’s not sticking out. Guess what wins out. Insulation an a base trailer designed for weekend use ? Not happening. It cools the trailer .. end of story
Old 07-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #10

Looks like the unit and the roof vent have been explained. Can someone answer the question posed by the op regarding seeing the outside, through the rear grille, when looking through the space surrounding the cabinet? Should not that unit be sealed against the interior of the outside wall?
Old 07-25-2021, 05:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Looks like the unit and the roof vent have been explained. Can someone answer the question posed by the op regarding seeing the outside, through the rear grille, when looking through the space surrounding the cabinet? Should not that unit be sealed against the interior of the outside wall?
I still have the interior trim flashing removed. I'll try--no guarantees--to get a pic thru the opening and show the space above/around the AC unit with what appears to be a clear opening to the rear of the exterior mesh grill. Coming tomorrow....
Old 07-25-2021, 05:53 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
I’m sure it’s not insulated. The manufacturer isn’t building a led certified building. It’s a camper. Better than a tent. The trim keeps the airflow in or out at a minimum
If the op is concerned put some foam insulation around the front behind the trim … as long as no vents are blocked.
Sorry if I appear glib about it but understand the product and what it was intended for. I too have trailers and it is what it is
Old 07-25-2021, 06:10 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Here's the brochure for your model. It says a roof mount AC is standard. Not sure how your unit got the way it is...

https://www.forestriverinc.com/broch...sxbrochure.pdf
Old 07-25-2021, 06:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillJinOR View Post
I’m sure it’s not insulated. The manufacturer isn’t building a led certified building. It’s a camper. Better than a tent. The trim keeps the airflow in or out at a minimum
If the op is concerned put some foam insulation around the front behind the trim … as long as no vents are blocked.
Sorry if I appear glib about it but understand the product and what it was intended for. I too have trailers and it is what it is
It’s not about insulation, it’s about water intrusion. There should be no way to see the outside, through the side grille, from inside the coach. At best, you could see where the unit butts up or slightly passes through the wall, but if you see daylight around the body of the unit, water could enter as well.

Tags
first-time owner