Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #1

Surge protector or surge guard?

Should I invest in a surge protector or a surge guard for my trailer?
Klibber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2018, 12:34 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Progressive Industries EMS. Hardwired or portable - same feature set.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:26 PM   #3

^^^What he said. From a very satisfied PI client.
Palms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:03 AM   #4

Surge protector or surge guard?

For better security, hard wire it inside the RV, then if someone comes along & tries to steal the cord for the copper, that's all they are going to get. Portables are expensive & too easy of a target.
anthonyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:24 AM   #5

First the correct term you are looking for is an EMS (Electrical Management System). There are surge guards that just that a protection against electrical surges which is about the least protection you need.

For 12 years we used a portable EMS. We never worried about theft. We did use a cable lock not for protection but to take the strain off of the plug in the receptacle.

There is an advantage to a portable. We have been in parks with some pretty questionable power posts and with the portable, we could walk down a line of posts looking for a suitable one.

The disadvantage of a portable is that the indicator is at the unit on the power pole.

A built-in EMS can have the advantage of a display inside. When we bought the Bounder, we ordered it with a built-in EMS. It has a display inside the RV but it in behind the bedroom TV, so it is not convenient.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #6

Been using a portable Progressive unit for years. Had a situation at night and placed a call to Progressive and a tech called back in approx 10 minutes. Excellent service.

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:44 AM   #7

I have no faith in them....

Two friends running them have both melted plugs/cords with them which is the kind of thing they are supposed to prevent. They both still swear by them. I run nothing and that's what's happened to me... nothing. Also that's what it cost me... nothing.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:58 AM   #8

Melted plugs are a function of poor receptacles on the power post. High resistance causes heat. Just how is an EMS supposed to prevent that.

Someday you will plug into a reversed wired 30 amp receptacle and all the savings you have will go up in smoke.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:58 AM   #9

An EMS or surge protector is like an insurance policy, they are only good when you need it. Understanding what they do is important. Neither of them will fix a line issue or problem at the pedestal but they will protect your trailer. How much protection depends on what they are designed to do.

I'm not sure what the electrical issue was that caused damage to the fridge in our last trailer. That was 20 years ago but the cost of repair back then was more than what an EMS costs today so when I bought this trailer I decided to install the hardwired Progressive Industries EMS. The remote display is helpful to have but its not something that needs to be monitored so I installed it on the back wall of the wardrobe. The blinking propane detector is annoying enough.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surge guard