RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2020, 11:00 PM   #1

SUV or van for TT

I fell in love with the Lance 2075 TT - gross weight 5900 lbs, hitch weight 440 lbs. If you have a similar weight TT and do NOT pull with a truck, would you share what kind of vehicle you have and how well it tows? Thank you.

Wisdmhilites is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2020, 04:58 AM   #2

I seriously considered going to a van/TT combo before we decided on another 5er. TTs have smaller storage available but the van would make up for that.
We pulled several TTs over the years with Suburbans going up to 8600 lbs and 30 feet without a problem.

Old 05-25-2020, 06:30 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdmhilites View Post
I fell in love with the Lance 2075 TT - gross weight 5900 lbs, hitch weight 440 lbs. If you have a similar weight TT and do NOT pull with a truck, would you share what kind of vehicle you have and how well it tows? Thank you.
Our TT is also 5900lbs GVWR. We tow it with a 2018 Ford Expedition Max FX4. I have no complaints with the Expedition as a tow vehicle. How’s it compare to other tow vehicles? My only comparison is to my dad’s 2004 Silverado 1500 w/his 6000lb GVWR trailer (5.3l, 3.08 rear axle). Everything about towing is done better by the Expedition. We considered a van, but went the the Expedition for a couple of reasons. The Expedition is about 18-24” shorter than a van and we wanted to minimize overall length to fit as many campsites as possible. The other big factor was the vans are all two wheel drive*. So then you have to go deal with finding someone to mod it for you. (I have since learned that there’s a Nissan dealer in CO that offers custom NV3500s, if you want to go that route...)

*Yes, I know you can get the MB sprinter 2500 passenger in 4x4 configuration, but the towing capacity is, IIRC, only 5000 lbs.
shane_the_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:08 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
With a 6000 gross weight trailer your actual hitch weight will be around 800 pounds plus 100 pounds for the hitch itself so be sure you buy enough vehicle to carry that weight plus whatever/whoever you put in it. Longer wheelbase vehicles are better because it is harder for the trailer to make the TV wiggle.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:14 PM   #5

SUV or van for TT

The Lance 2075 is really close to hitch, dry, gross weights as our 1995.
Fully loaded with a full fresh tank we always fall in the 650 to 700 lb tongue weight, with a 5,200 gross.
Theses trailers have a lower profile, aerodynamic front, and a well balanced build that makes them a pleasure to tow.
Lance has their own forum, and a wide variety of SUV’s that are used to tow the 1995. The 2075 hasn’t been out very long. We use a 1/2 ton truck, and not familiar with suv/vans so can’t help you with that.
We also really like the 2075, no slide is a huge plus for where we go. Maybe some day we’ll make the switch.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #6

Would you have to have 4-wheel drive?
Old 05-25-2020, 04:21 PM   #7

Van's come in 1500, 2500 and I think even 3500 series. That to me is the big advantage to a van.

SUV's are probably a better daily driver but lack the heavy duty 2500 and 3500 chassis.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 04:06 PM   #8

We are considering going to a travel trailer. If we are towing with a Cadillac Escalade, which says maximum towing capacity of 8000 pounds, what should I look for in a travel trailer in terms of weight? I get confused with GVW, etc.etc.etc. Help?
Old 05-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHarris View Post
We are considering going to a travel trailer. If we are towing with a Cadillac Escalade, which says maximum towing capacity of 8000 pounds, what should I look for in a travel trailer in terms of weight? I get confused with GVW, etc.etc.etc. Help?
Might want to consider starting a new thread. Towing capacity is only part of the equation. More than that is payload of the tow vehicle. The Gross Vehicle Weight and front and rear axle Gross weights should be on a sticker on the door jam on an Escalade. Generally tongue weight will be the issue as it will cause you to exceed your rear axle weight and payload capacity of the vehicle.

I would fill the tank, load the vehicle like I were traveling, and go to a nearby truck stop and tell them you are going around to the scales, when done, pay the $12 or so and collect your weigh ticket, you will know the front and rear axle weights and loaded weight of the vehicle, and then can do the math to see how much capacity you have left to work with. Don't forget, a weight equalizing hitch (the shank/ball/bars) that you plug into the receiver, will add as much as a hundred pounds. I just weighed my 21 ft Bigfoot the other day, with full water and most of the junk in it, but no food and some clothing, and it weighed 5060 on the trailer axles and added 800 lbs to the weight of the truck over the weight of the truck by itself (same fuel level and loading otherwise). This is the long tongue version with a 2 ft cargo box on the front, so it is tongue heavy. I cannot see the trailer gaining more than a couple or three hundred more pounds for a trip, so no where near its gross weight.

Quite frankly, the Oliver, Escape or Bigfoot 21ft would tow nicely behind the Escalade. Due to the width you would need additional mirrors for the Bigfoot, its 8 ft, the others are 7 ft.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:55 PM   #10
PKI

We tow a 23ft Airstream that weighs 6000lbs gross and has a 600lb hitch weight.

The tow vehicle is a 2015 BMW X5 35i. We have about 50,000 miles of towing now and that includes multiple trips across the continental divide and two West to East coast round trips. The rig is well balanced, handles well and is quiet as well as comfortable.

There are several SUVs that make nice tow vehicles. The Toureg, the Cayenne, the Armada, the Mercedes ML/SLs .... research the specs. The new independent suspension Chevrolets may prove quite capable as tow vehicles.

Vans are good solutions if higher payload and passenger weights are required.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:17 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Van's come in 1500, 2500 and I think even 3500 series. That to me is the big advantage to a van.

SUV's are probably a better daily driver but lack the heavy duty 2500 and 3500 chassis.
Both Suburbans and Yukons come in 3/4 an 1 ton versions.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #12

The absolute best time towing I've had, I was driving a Chevy Express 3/4-ton extended-wheelbase van with a 7000lb trailer. Had enough cargo in the van to make it all stable.

Smooth and effortless. The extended wheelbase was a key factor.

I also pulled the same trailer with another 3/4t Chevy van, except with the standard wheelbase. Not nearly as good.

Also with a 1/2t Suburban. Yikes! No thanks.

(Caveat: this was 20 years ago. Equipment might be better now.)

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:51 PM   #13

Back in the 90's I towed a 1984 18' Prowler (probably around 3500 lb) with a 1990 Astro van with no problems, the axle was so close to the rear, that it almost towed like a fifth wheel. WDH made it ride like a Cadillac! I was going up a mountain in northern Tennessee, holding a decent 60-65 mph when a Ford passenger van pulling a long TT blew by me, looked like a one ton extended version, probably had a 460 in it. It was squatting in the rear badly. A couple of miles up the road, it was laying on its side in the median with the driver standing outside looking like "WTHJH?" Doesn't matter how big and heavy duty your vehicle is, if its not set up right..............
hillbilly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 09:33 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly3 View Post
Back in the 90's I towed a 1984 18' Prowler (probably around 3500 lb) with a 1990 Astro van with no problems, the axle was so close to the rear, that it almost towed like a fifth wheel. WDH made it ride like a Cadillac! I was going up a mountain in northern Tennessee, holding a decent 60-65 mph when a Ford passenger van pulling a long TT blew by me, looked like a one ton extended version, probably had a 460 in it. It was squatting in the rear badly. A couple of miles up the road, it was laying on its side in the median with the driver standing outside looking like "WTHJH?" Doesn't matter how big and heavy duty your vehicle is, if its not set up right..............
The 15 passenger Ford vans with the long overhang are a horrible choice for towing, due to the long overhang. The shorter models, and the Chevy/GMC Savannah/Express are fine because they make a long WB and a short WB but no long overhang.

Sometimes you cannot fix stupid when it comes to driving.

Charles

'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote