Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2017, 08:44 AM   #1

SUV to Trailer Towing Help

Ok, I need help from some people who do this regularly.

I'm looking at buying a tt with a gvwr of 5955. 2008 Keystone Springdale 189FL

I'd like to be able to use a ford expedition to tow it. I've been told to look for a v8 5.4L engine and have found a 2012 Expedition EL Limited with that engine. https://www.carmax.com/car/14937739
It lists this info: Towing Capacity (Max.)8700 lbs. Payload Capacity for Trucks1530 lbs. Gross Vehicle Weight for Trucks7720 lbs.

Would this set up work or would I be asking too much from the suv?
CarolynJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2017, 08:52 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You will be fine. Just be sure to utilize a weight transfer setup and of course a trailer brake controller
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 08:04 PM   #3

I towed a 7200 pound empty SunnyBrook 27FKS for 8 years with my 07 Expedition EL (5.4) before trading it for a F150. A very stable tow with the independent rear suspension and an Equalizer hitch.
gwj42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #4

I have taken a fair amount of criticism on this forum for towing with an SUV.

I'm towing with a V6 Dodge Durango with a 6,200lb capacity. My TT GVWR is 5,600lbs. You have a capacity 1,000lbs over mine and are only proposing to tow an additional 355lbs.

NO PROBLEM !!

I have towed my unit over 10,000 miles and didn't experience any sway - not even a wobble. I have never had a problem getting up to speed using the right gearing. That, said, my Dodge has the full towing package and an 8 speed automatic transmission with paddle shifters.

As long as you have proper weight distribution, a good weight distributing hitch, and trailer brakes, you'll be fine.
MBirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Keep in mind that payload capacity is eaten up by tongue weight. The tongue weight for a 6000 pound TT could be around 800 pounds. A a full tank of gas in the Expedition could weigh 200 pounds, leaving about 500 pounds for people, pets, camping gear, ad nauseum, until you're starting to overload the TV.

Now, some will say "It's OK to drive over the GVWR of the TV", but is it really? That is up to you.

Good luck. Keep asking questions, that is how you reach a conclusion about this stuff that you can live with.
Old 12-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I'd not believe a word any used car salesperson tells me, to include the .com variety, especially CarMax. I'd research the vehicle to find out the numbers before buying it. You could look at the car itself, but a lot of these .com ship the car after you obligate yourself to buy it (really bad plan). A clean title means nothing, as there are ways to ship a car to a state that cleans the title, Utah used to be one of those states and a lot of salvaged cars came here.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:13 AM   #7

[QUOTE=CarolynJune;3917115
Would this set up work or would I be asking too much from the suv?[/QUOTE]

We have been towing our 2012 Evergreen Element with a 2012 Ford Expedition Limited (Not an EL) for the past 5 years....about 70,000 miles.
The dry weight of our trailer is 4900 pounds
We have not had any issues with the setup. We get between 12 and 12.5 MPG depending on hills and such.
The tongue weight (which was actually weighted) was 480 lbs fully loaded.
We use an E2 WDH.
My sources indicate a towing capacity of 8,900 lbs for the '12 Expedition EL, 2 wheel drive and 8,700 for the 4-wheel drive model. And that is with the factory tow package.
Without the tow package, the tow capacity is only 6,000 pounds.
Hope this helps in your decision making.
thetravelkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 11:44 AM   #8

Thanks for all the input! I've purchased a 2012 Ford Expedition EL Limited 4x4. I have on order at a rv wholesaler a 2018 forest river rockwood mini lite 2509s. I've got a friend who is a heavy-duty tow operator, has been towing for 30 years, has owned two travel trailers and I'm using him as my expert for weight distributing hitch, trailer brakes, etc.

I'm looking forward to going on the road in January!
CarolynJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:29 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats!!!

Enjoy!!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing, tow, trailer