Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2018, 05:35 PM   #1

Sway control ??

I tow a 28' crossroads TT about 8000 lbs, we are looking at moving up to about 30' new or nearly new TT.
We tow with a 2007 Dodge Ram Mega cab 5.7 L.
Dodge says we are rated for 9500 lbs.
Current hitch is equalizer with friction sway bar.
We are looking at upgrading the hitch system before we get a new trailer, and would love some input on new sway control systems.

Thanks Jeff
Jfrey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 05:52 PM   #2

We got a Husky Centerline Pro when we upgraded to our new TT in 2016. Used to use an Equalizer with chains and a friction sway control which worked ok for the old unit, but was never something I felt comfortable with and that TT was 30' and about 6000lbs on the road. The Centerline has sway integrated into the design and it handles the new TT well. I'm about 35' and the TT is around 8500 on the road, and I tow with my 150 King Ranch without any issues whatsoever, but any longer or heavier and I'd trade up to a 250 or 350 with a diesel. I'm at my limits, at least of my personal limits while the truck would probably handle a little more. I think my hitch cost me about $450 installed at CW Spartanburg, SC.
6.7L, 3:31, Husky CenterLine TS
Reevesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:57 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I would not use a cheaper hitch. Get a true Equa-Lizer brand 4 point with built in sway control, Blue ox sway pro or Reese centerline hitch. All of those have built in sway control and do not use a separate sway bar. Those friction sway bars are older technology and while they work they are not as good as the newer hitches.

Dealers sell those cheaper hitches because they have already squeezed you for all they can get and they are still making money off the installation which you could do yourself. Sorta like buying a sports car and then putting cheap tires on it. Spend the extra $100 on a good hitch, you will be glad you did.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:37 AM   #4

I tow a 2018 ORV Black Stone 280RKS, total length is 34' with a 2014 Ford F250 6.2l gas using a Blue ox sway pro. Highly recommend the blue ox, easy hook up and great sway control. Plus you can back up with out unhooking any friction bar.
ktn1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we had a TT this is the hitch that we had installed. $$$ but it is absolutely the best.

You can probably search around and find it for less.

https://www.makariosrv.com/trunnion-...utm_medium=ppc

Expensive but, what is your safety worth.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #6

I have a Blue Ox and very happy with it used friction before and the Ox is so mush easier. Just the two bars and the opening they go into pivot so you can always move to a location that is easy.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:52 PM   #7

I've been using the Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch for the past 2 years and I've been very pleased with it. No sway problems at all. It feels like the trailer is part of the truck. I bought mine off of Amazon with free shipping. They run a little over $500.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:19 PM   #8

take a look at the Tuscon anti-sway device.
bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:23 AM   #9

Thanks for all the help. I met one of my neighbors at a neighborhood watch meeting that just moved up tp a fifth wheel. He has a Reese dual cam sway control weight distribution hitch he is going to let me try on my next trip in a couple of weeks.
Getting one of the local hitch pros to install it just to make sure its done correctly.
I will post back with the results.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:56 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfrey45 View Post
Thanks for all the help. I met one of my neighbors at a neighborhood watch meeting that just moved up tp a fifth wheel. He has a Reese dual cam sway control weight distribution hitch he is going to let me try on my next trip in a couple of weeks.
Getting one of the local hitch pros to install it just to make sure its done correctly.
I will post back with the results.
Be sure that the spring bars are correct for your tongue weight. Holes need to be drilled in your trailer, so I wouldn't consider it a trial run. They are a good hitch that does need to be carefully adjusted, many "hitch pros" do a poor job of setting it up correctly. You should get the installation manual from the manufacture's website and do it yourself or at least see to it that the directions were followed. Here is a video: https://www.etrailer.com/tv-review-r...m-rp66084.aspx
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:23 PM   #11

Advice taken this hitch guy is set up with a long level concrete pat and is very experienced with travel trailer hitches. Understand the hole drilling part also.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #12

Last week the hitch guy got me hooked up the hitch & sway control all installed with a new breakaway plug (mine was melted) all in $65.00
Test ride down I-10 was great. Leaving for a trip to Atlanta next week we will see how it does.