Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2020, 11:23 AM   #29

I had the GMC long before I got the Splash. It's a 4x4 with the tow package (my step-dad had it ordered that way from the dealership) and it started out pulling a 17 footer. I only got the Splash because of the price (and my 17 footer was needing some serious repair work). I wouldn't pull anything longer and will probably downgrade to a smaller one.
Travis98146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #30

All good answers here.

1) you should have to raise the tongue jack with the truck hooked up several inches to hook up the bars (and still will require the tool to do this) then lower the jack and retract it. If you are not doing this, hitch is NOT properly set up. It won't totally control a improperly balanced trailer, but will make a huge difference.

2) weight forward. Aft water tank empty, forward water tank full. Waste tanks tend to be aft of the axles, empty them when leaving a campground and travel with them empty.

3) Clothes, pots and pans, bags of charcoal, the grill, everything possible forward of the axles. Fill that pass thru up.

4) If the truck has P tires on it, you need much stiffer LT tires. All should be inflated to their manufacturer recommended pressures, not the sidewall maximum.

Some trailers are very hard to get enough tongue weight on, simply bad engineering. Your choice of sandbags is an alternative but only after you have eliminated all other problem areas.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 02:08 PM   #31

I prefer a 3/4 ton truck. You won't believe the difference it makes when towing.
Old 07-02-2020, 03:31 PM   #32

Everybody says 3/4 ton to pull. I pull a 30 ft RockWood with a 2017 Sierra 5.3 litre. Curt Eq hitch with sway control.
Went through the weigh scales and did the setup as suggested by curt. Watched their videos and had help from a IRV2 member who explained what I did not understand. “Itchy toes”very knowledgeable fellow.
After 10000 miles of towing in all conditions I could never be happier.

I try and hit the scales at least one trip during the season. Just to make sure i am loaded correctly.

I have had fifth wheels and 3/4 tons also.

You can tow with a 1/2 ton, but do your homework and understand every thing there is to know about set up and safe driving.

Next purchase for me as the tires are wearing will be tires with greater load carrying capacity. NOT A BIGGER TRUCK.
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Lambert View Post
I try and hit the scales at least one trip during the season. Just to make sure i am loaded correctly.
loading, and consequently, tongue weight, are the key. I bought my travel trailer out of state, I specifically asked for an Equalizer 4 way hitch. The dealer selected the correct weight hitch and set it up and it towed fantastically on the way home and for the first yr while I was camping on the weekends.

When I went full time, I of course added a lot of weight I didn't normally have and when I went over the scales my tongue wt increased by a few hundred lbs making my 10000/1000 lb hitch undersized. And let me tell you I could feel it. I upgraded the hitch to a 14000/1400 lb hitch and its back to behaving like it should.

I would look at the fresh water tank location as mentioned earlier, it may add enough tongue wt to make it a good pull.
rbTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #34

Swaying way too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
Well I have enjoyed reading everyones advice on my sway problem and have taken it all in; However I leave tomorrow on a short trip thru some windy areas and have decided after doing what you guys have suggested that I will also put some sand bags in the storage area under our bed. Everything else has been done so we will see the results down the road and I will report back if my problem has been resolved. I am down to nothing so I know the Lord is up to something lets travel. thanks to everyone for you time and great advice.

Yep sand should tell you the story. You may need 200 lb. or more ,if it helps then you know you are on the right path. That is an excellent hitch if it is adjusted right. I bet you can get it tamed down with load and hitch adjustments. It is amazing how much difference more tongue weight can make.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:45 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
You've asked for advice.
The advice you have been given has been "increase your tongue weight"
You have dismissed that aHersdvice.

There is no other magic pill or hitch that will stop the sway of a light tongue weight travel trailer.

Here's another video showing how Hensley design hitches work. FWIW, I have a trailer similar in weights to the OP's. I use a Propride and can usually drive 1 handed.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:04 PM   #36

I have the same trailer and tow it with a 1500 Ram. No issues to date, either empty or loaded. I do run E rated tires, along with airbags and a wd hitch, but can do 70 down the highway nice and stable without any sway control mechanism. I would look at your truck tires, like has been mentioned, before I started adding a bunch of weight to the tongue.
gosupes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:21 PM   #37

Texas Boomers Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
RV Trip Wizard
I knew exactly what the OP was experiencing as soon as I saw F-150. Look at the F-150.net owners site and youll read about a whole lot of owners trying to solve the sway problem. Mine is a ‘15 F-150 4x4 with tow package. 5.0 L V8, max weight 11,000 lbs. I had a 2018 Starcraft 24’. I tow empty, have WD bars properly fitted on a Pro-Hitch, and the truck sits straight. I also use a sway bar. My truck was all over the lane. Its like driving in a windstorm (without the wind). Solutions Ive seen is to stiffen up the front end suspension but that sometimes doesnt work. The owners site talks of complaints filed with Ford but at this time there really isnt a one-stop solution. As an F150 owner I really do suspect its the suspension but Ive now sold the trailer and waiting on a new Class-C.
TexasJeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:38 PM   #38

Just a swinging still swinging

I made my trip today to test my sand bag theory and I am back where I started. It was very windy and the truck was moving around like I had not done anything to correct tongue weight. I put 200lbs of sand in storage under the bed but could not feel any difference. However I did turn off sway control under camper settings. this was not the one on the dashboard but the one in the control center where all the trailer settings are stored. Dont know if that made a difference but it is what it is I guess. I will measure the truck with and without stablizer bars on and will see what I get.
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #39

As I have read through and others have stated, the ball/hitch and bars are not set up correctly. I would read the installation instructions and start from the beginning of installation (just because a dealer installed doesn't mean it was done correctly). I have towed several trailers with all different types of weight distribution and sway control, up to 40' park models at the upper limit of the trucks capacity, and the 4-way equalizer, when set up correctly, out performs any other, IMO. Like others have said, once, you connect the ball and lock it down, you should then have to raise the tongue of the trailer back up several inches to install the bars, and then it should take good effort to pop them into place. Also make sure that the bolts on the front of the bars on the head are torqued down. You should have to use good effort also to push/pull the bars horizontally when putting them on/taking them off. When setting up just make sure you don't take too much tongue weight off the truck, that will be another host of problems. If you can not get the trailer level for towing (shank not long enough for head attachment) then you need to get a new shank. When done properly, your trailer should be extremely level, not nose up or down, either way will cause sway just because of how the air moves under your vehicles when traveling.
mattyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #40

I just made a trip 200mi. to take my wife to a doctor. on the way their and back I noticed many travel trailers 24-30', some towed with f150s. I followed some on secondary hiways and freeways and didn't see any swaying problems at all, and up to speeds of 70 mph. the o/p just has a poorly engineered towing set up. that's from tire pressure to the height of his ball on his receiver. it all has to work together.
MATTYRJ has it right as do others, he dam sure doesn't need to run down and buy a new 3/4 ton truck
Jay D.
Jay D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:58 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay D. View Post
I just made a trip 200mi. to take my wife to a doctor. on the way their and back I noticed many travel trailers 24-30', some towed with f150s. I followed some on secondary hiways and freeways and didn't see any swaying problems at all, and up to speeds of 70 mph. the o/p just has a poorly engineered towing set up. that's from tire pressure to the height of his ball on his receiver. it all has to work together.
MATTYRJ has it right as do others, he dam sure doesn't need to run down and buy a new 3/4 ton truck
Jay D.

Agreed. Max tire pressure everywhere, and proper hitch adjustment would get him there.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:02 PM   #42

Swaying put to bed

I have almost given into my swaying issues. My trailer is perfectly level, Everything you guys have said I have done. I bought a tongue scale today and I will weigh tongue next week and go from there if there is any place to go, Maybe I am expecting to much and my sway is not as bad as I think, You guys have been great taking the time in trying to help me and I thank you so much., If I ever figure this out i will report back,
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote