Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2020, 09:31 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlereins View Post
If, and of course it's a BIG if, the op has the hitch set up correctly, I would place the blame on soft suspension and P rated tires. There is just too much wiggle room with that. I think that the suggestion of a trackbar and upgrading the tires to LT would help a great deal. I'm towing at 30 foot, 7600# gross TT with a 2019 Ram 1500 with the 5.7 hemi, 3.92 gears and LT tires plus an Equalizer 4 way hitch with 10,000 pound bars. No sway. Of course at my age, getting those bars in place is sometimes a struggle even with the cheater bar.
You do know to use the tongue jack to raise the trailer AND truck (hitch coupled properly) and this will allow the bars to be easily slid over the L brackets possibly with a little help from the S tool that Equal-i-zer provides.

Charles
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2020, 10:46 PM   #72

Just a swingin

I have LT tires and I max the PSI when towing. I have ST westlake tires on TT and Michelin LT on truck. i am putting equalizer 4 on tomorrow and hopefully my trailer will tow better, My tongue weight is around 900lbs and my trailer loaded is 6500-7000. I really think I will still need a heavier truck but I get a lot of push and pull like the trailer is playing tug awar with truck. I will keep trying and eventually I will find the answer.
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:53 AM   #73

If your trailer is only 7000 when loaded, and your truck can tow that or more, I really don't think you need a bigger truck. The Equal-I-Zer with 4 point sway control should keep it in line for you, as long as it is set-up correctly.

Have you confirmed your trucks towing capacity? It maybe lower than what you think, after people, any cargo in the bed (fire wood? that stuff is heavy, I didn't realize it but when I carry wood on my motorhome for 1 3-day weekend, i carry as much as 1500lbs in wood alone! never would have guessed it was that much), pets, etc. The VIN is the way to verify, I am sure Ford has the same version as Ram does. My friend is looking at Rams and we input the Vin in the tool on their site, and a Dodge Ram 3500 dually,we have found, can have tow capacities ranging from a mere 15K all the way up to 31K, it has the power to handle anything truly, but the higher weight rating comes in to a factor of handling, braking, sway, and how much the truck will "squat". Just because you have the power, doesn't mean that all other things are up to the task.

I would highly recommend you get a tow rating by your VIN, you might be surprised to learn your trailer is too heavy. This is something I didn't think before when posting.
mattyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:23 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
You do know to use the tongue jack to raise the trailer AND truck (hitch coupled properly) and this will allow the bars to be easily slid over the L brackets possibly with a little help from the S tool that Equal-i-zer provides.

Charles
Hi Charles; Yes I do raise the tongue and back end of truck. Its just that my anti sway bars are cinched down pretty tight and with my diminished strength at my age, it's a little more difficult than when I was in my 20's.
adlereins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlereins View Post
Hi Charles; Yes I do raise the tongue and back end of truck. Its just that my anti sway bars are cinched down pretty tight and with my diminished strength at my age, it's a little more difficult than when I was in my 20's.[emoji23]
I bought the anderson anti sway hitch, no bars to wrestle with, just 2 chains tightend with nuts on the end. Its on back order and I wont get it until September but am excited at the thought of not wrestling 3 different bars on to my hitch and trailer. You dont have to unhook anything to back up or take tight turns either. Sounds like a dream to me lol [emoji111]
RvRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:36 PM   #76

Greetings
Kind of late to the party here and new to the forums but I thought I’d give you perhaps an additional data point.
I tow a 29’ 7000# GVWR TT with my 2018 F-150 5.0L 4x4 6 1/2’ bed. I am using an Equalizer E4 WD hitch. The hitch set up was completed by my selling dealer. It took them about 1 hour to get it where they wanted it. I have not yet gone to commercial scales or performed any measurements to confirm that it’s as good as it can be but it looks right. Trailer and truck are pretty close to level. Visually it’s closer to level than most other 1/2 ton trucks I see pulling similar sized TT’s
My truck is running the factory supplied Michelin Primacy XC 275/65R18 116T tires. Suspension is totally stock. It has 9100# tow capacity with a 2068# cargo capacity. Factory “standard” trailer tow package (not the HD version). I bought and installed the Ford brake controller. I know there is a lot of different ways to build an F-150 but mine is pretty typical
So far I have a little over 1100 miles on the set up and each trip we add a little more weight to the rig. So far my water tanks have been empty while towing. I’ve been on interstates up to 70MPH (usually set the cruise for 65), back roads, and through what East coasters consider mountains. My rig is really stable. Stable enough that I can drive with one hand on the wheel and not feel like I’m playing with fire.

My guess it the the Equalizer E4 is set up properly and is working as advertised. I haven’t read through the entire thread but if it hasn’t been mentioned Equalizer has quite a few older videos on YouTube. Older videos but the hitch hasn’t changed so the information should still be valid.
In your last comment you said you would find the answer. I too believe you will.
Good luck
Craig
Plum crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:00 PM   #77

I found out I did not have the equalizer 4 hitch I had the Fastway2. I installed the equalizer 4pt and took the trailer into a 25mph wind gusting to 30 and trailer was very solid. Never get too old to learn and boy did I learn at lot from all of you. I thank each of you for your advice and the time you spent trying to help this old dummy. Never knew the dealer put on a 2pt sway versus the 4pt. Happy trails to all of you and may the Lord bless each step you take.
cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:35 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
I found out I did not have the equalizer 4 hitch I had the Fastway2. I installed the equalizer 4pt and took the trailer into a 25mph wind gusting to 30 and trailer was very solid. Never get too old to learn and boy did I learn at lot from all of you. I thank each of you for your advice and the time you spent trying to help this old dummy. Never knew the dealer put on a 2pt sway versus the 4pt. Happy trails to all of you and may the Lord bless each step you take.
I've been towing 5ers for years now. Still have the Equalizer 4 point in the garage. Best trailer hitch I ever had from 1976 until I switched to 5ers. I started 5er pulling with Reese, then found B&W what a difference there as well. The best may cost a little more but worth it.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
So glad you got this figured out! It makes sense you didn't have the 4pt, as you have discovered, the 4pt is AMAZING! Now that it is figured you, enjoy and have fun!!!!!!!!
mattyrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #80

Lol - is your old F-150 still available? Just kidding.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote