RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2020, 11:00 PM   #1

Swaying way too much

I always come here to get my advice and I need some bad, I have a 2020 GD 2600RB weighing in at 5800 empty, I pull with a F150 2.7 and really dont have any power issues with truck,. However the swaying is really getting to me so much that I dread hooking up, I have equalizer WD system that doesnt seem to do that much in controlling sway. I travel with my wife and we dont have much cargo at all so I am definitely no over loaded. My tires are new and are always aired correctly, My question is do I need a ProPride hitch and if not what do i need to do to eliminate some of the sway, my tongue weight is around 700 which is about right so I am out of ideas. My truck is very light and I was thinking about a 250 but I was told that a heavier truck would help but would not eliminate very little of my sway problems. Please help with any advice as I am going out again on thursday and I pray for no wind,

cmcguire48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2020, 12:31 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcguire48 View Post
I always come here to get my advice and I need some bad, I have a 2020 GD 2600RB weighing in at 5800 empty, I pull with a F150 2.7 and really dont have any power issues with truck,. However the swaying is really getting to me so much that I dread hooking up, I have equalizer WD system that doesnt seem to do that much in controlling sway. I travel with my wife and we dont have much cargo at all so I am definitely no over loaded. My tires are new and are always aired correctly, My question is do I need a ProPride hitch and if not what do i need to do to eliminate some of the sway, my tongue weight is around 700 which is about right so I am out of ideas. My truck is very light and I was thinking about a 250 but I was told that a heavier truck would help but would not eliminate very little of my sway problems. Please help with any advice as I am going out again on thursday and I pray for no wind,
If by sway you mean the trailer is moving back and forth (not rocking) while towing, you’re right - a weight distribution hitch won’t help. Those are designed to let the front axle carry some of the tongue weight load to keep your truck more level, improving steering, and the ride more controllable. But they do nothing to control sway. You state your tongue weight is 700, but is that just a spec or did you weigh it?

The sway is likely because the trailer is not balanced correctly. You need more weight in front of the trailer axles than behind. This should be designed into the trailer which is why the axles are behind center, but if you have tanks behind the axles that are full or tanks in front of them that are empty this will change the balance of the trailer. It needs to be front heavy.

So as an experiment, take some weight off the rear of the trailer and put some more in the front by rearranging your gear, adjusting tank levels, or other heavy loads and see what happens. You’ll have more tongue weight but that’s what the WD hitch is for. Also go visit a scale and weigh the trailer hooked up and not on the hitch and your truck rear axle both ways and do the calculations to see what things really weigh. Chances are you can correct this by loading it differently.

Another thing to think about is that this is a lot of trailer for a short wheelbase truck. I towed a 28’ TT with my F150 crew cab 3.5 short bed and found it controllable but it was a lot of trailer for that truck. I’m sure you don’t feel like replacing the truck but it’s something to think about.

R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:30 AM   #3

All good advice. Especially the last paragraph.
I have towed TT's and spent a lot to stop the "tail wagging the dog" with limited success. My last effort was a 24 ft behind a E250. It was controllable but still not comfortable. A step up to a GMC 2500 pickup was a vast improvement but still not what I hoped for. Then my current fiver solved all my problems. It sits on the road like it is on rails. It is a pleasure to drive and I can finally enjoy our travels.

Hope you find a solution.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:23 AM   #4

just a suggestion to check that your WD hitch is set up properly, it may need to have the ball height lowered. On our first toy box (being towed with F250) the hitch expert had it set wrong and we almost lost it (due to side to side sway). Tires, axle hangers and more had to be replaced after that episode. The manufacturer and dealer spent a lot of time tracing the problem to an improperly installed hitch. Sway isn't something to take a chance on, took two of us to stay upright during our episode (driver to steer & passenger working the trailer brakes).
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:46 AM   #5

Check the tongue weight of the trailer. That being said, you really don't have enough truck. Find a friend with an F250 or F350 & tow the trailer with that truck to see if problem goes away. Then you will know the answer.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:35 AM   #6

Look into purchasing a Hensley Arrow or ProPride hitch.
pbensen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:27 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You say your trailer weighs 5800lbs empty then loaded it will be closer to 7000 lbs. Tongue weight should be 10-15% of loaded weight. So you could be too light on the tongue.
I would find some nice level spot and measure the front of the trailer from the frame to the ground and do the same at the rear. With the WD hooked up the front of the trailer should be the same or slightly lower than the rear ( <1” has worked fine for me). If the measurements are out I would start by going through the WD hitch installation and correcting the set up. You stated you have an equalizer hitch. If it is the Equalizer brand (and not just the term some people use to describe weight distribution hitches) they have a some good videos on their website that describe setting up their hitches. The Equalizer does a decent job of controlling sway if set up properly. If it’s another brand I would find the instructions and go through them. It may need to be adjusted or it may not have sway control and require an add on sway control.
Following that if the problem persists then trailer loading would be my next step. How much is in front of the axles versus behind? If travelling with water where is the tank located? Are you carrying a bike rack on the back of the trailer?
I would work through that before purchasing another hitch.
That’s just my trouble shooting process some folks may do something different.
Super Thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I want to second a couple points above that I didn’t mention earlier:

1. you can always borrow a truck or get the help of someone with a bigger truck to compare tow vehicle capabilities

2. A bike rack or anything else mounted to the rear bumper can take off more tongue weight than you might imagine.

As a comparison, I tow a two axle equipment trailer and tractor with my F250 with no WD hitch or stabilizing stuff - just a solid ball mount the correct height, with no issues and it weighs in at a little over 16,000lbs. I can do this because it’s loaded right and the truck can handle it. I haven’t weighed the tongue weight but it’s a lot - probably a couple thousand pounds, making it very stable.

On the other hand, I put four rather large I beams on that same trailer that hung off the rear a bit more than is advisable (ok way more...) and it was all over the road over 40mph. That load was back roads all the way.

So if you go through all the suggestions provided in this thread and still have problems, take the gear you carry in the back of your truck (generator, fire wood, tools, spare tire, etc) and load it in the front of your trailer and see how that affects things. Not the optimum solution but it might work.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We towed a TT for many years with a Reese Dual Cam hitch. It has an integral sway control.

A few observations...your F150 has a soft suspension and probably P rated tires. They have softer sidewalls for a better ride. You can go to an HT tire and up the tire pressures.

A 28' trailer is a bunch for a 1/2 ton truck to adequately control.

Have you weighed the trailer and made sure you have 10 to 12% of the trailer weight on the tongue. Too light of the tongue will lead to sway issues.

All TTs will have some sway when a truck passes ...this is the push pull from the bpw wake from the truck.

Ken
Old 06-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #10

Sway is no fun. I have a 2,500 and don't need the weight part. I have a 26 TT. I did have to add one break style sway controller, then needed to add a second one. On windy days they need to be snugged down.
Traveler4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:27 AM   #11

If you have an Equalizer brand hitch and are getting sway, it’s not adjusted properly. I suggest you go through the setup to dial it in before you do anything else. If you can’t get the trailer perfectly level(because of couplers day hitch heights) choose nose down vs nose high.

I also second the sentiment that 700lb tongue weight may not be enough. It might be as simple as moving some items from the back of the trailer to the front.
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #12
St4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
If you have an Equalizer brand hitch and are getting sway, it’s not adjusted properly. I suggest you go through the setup to dial it in before you do anything else. If you can’t get the trailer perfectly level(because of couplers day hitch heights) choose nose down vs nose high.

I also second the sentiment that 700lb tongue weight may not be enough. It might be as simple as moving some items from the back of the trailer to the front.
^^^ I second this. Go through your hitch setup again Don’t trust dealer
St4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:04 PM   #13

I agree with the above. I tow my 24' Splash with a 1/2 ton GMC pickup. Even though the trailer weight is almost equal to my truck weight, I don't have any sway while using my equalizer hitch. I tend to keep the truck/trailer setup as close to level as possible.
Travis98146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #14

if you hunt back through all of the postings about problems pulling a trailer I would bet you will not find a single one where the truck was too much and they wish they bought a lighter duty truck. The one thing that these posts all seem to have in common is they start out with " I have a F150 or 1500 of another brand pickup "
If you are going to tow a trailer you need a real truck.

Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote