Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2023, 06:30 AM   #1

Tandem TT. Using two ramps to lift rear axle off ground to change axle?

I use a ramp to change a tire. No problem. But I want to change my rear axel. Can I use two ramps, one on each side, to lift the entire axel off ground to change it? I was concerned that all the weight hanging on one axel all day may damage the axel. Anyone?
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2023, 06:36 AM   #2

I don't think you would damage the axle as long as it is sitting still but, I would definitely not do that for safety reasons. Are you changing the springs? If so, you would have weight on the shackles. Best would be to use a jack and jack stands under the frame.
Old 02-05-2023, 10:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 70 View Post
I don't think you would damage the axle as long as it is sitting still but, I would definitely not do that for safety reasons. Are you changing the springs? If so, you would have weight on the shackles. Best would be to use a jack and jack stands under the frame.
Yes...I am changing springs too. I will use a jack and stands. Thanks
Old 02-05-2023, 01:07 PM   #4

Its not a good idea to let two tires take all the weight for many hours/days . Now just changing a flat tire seems to be OK from Michelin and Goodyear in a 1-800 I had with them several years back.

Another issue can be with the other axle pushing all the way up on one end of the equalizer bar it can make it harder to make the spring eye hole match up with holes in the spring hanger/equalizer bar.

I'v changed several axle under my work trailer over the years and found the job is easier if the suspension is in level position. Changing a axle isn't a easy job unless you have all the correct tools/jacks/jack stands/good pry bars/drift for aligning holes/etc.

I did a quick search on you tube and came up quick with several ways do the job. ...all depending on type of axles/work surface/hyd jacks and stands/come-along/ size axles/etc/etc.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 01:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Its not a good idea to let two tires take all the weight for many hours/days . Now just changing a flat tire seems to be OK from Michelin and Goodyear in a 1-800 I had with them several years back.

Another issue can be with the other axle pushing all the way up on one end of the equalizer bar it can make it harder to make the spring eye hole match up with holes in the spring hanger/equalizer bar.

I'v changed several axle under my work trailer over the years and found the job is easier if the suspension is in level position. Changing a axle isn't a easy job unless you have all the correct tools/jacks/jack stands/good pry bars/drift for aligning holes/etc.

I did a quick search on you tube and came up quick with several ways do the job. ...all depending on type of axles/work surface/hyd jacks and stands/come-along/ size axles/etc/etc.
Thanks...I already jacked it up and removed tires on rear axel and it is sitting on jackstands. Should change the axel tomorrow.
Old 02-05-2023, 01:38 PM   #6

2019 GD and changing axle?????
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 08:46 PM   #7

I changed 4 springs on my trailer last summer. I wouldn't have tried to do this without having all the weight off of the tires.
Like JIMLIN said, if there is any weight on the tires, it may be difficult at best to line up the spring eye with the spring hanger.
Good luck, and make sure that the jack stands are secure.
If your stands are from Harbor Freight, make sure that they aren't the stands that were recalled.

Tim
TB673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 06:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
2019 GD and changing axle?????
I think I bent an axel last year on my Alaska trip. One tire started wearing uneven and the same side needed new brakes. Took it to a trailer shop in the Yukon and he said these suspensions are really overstressed and recommended a stronger suspension, if I continued to make 15,000 mile trips in the NW. Figured I would take care of it by ordering a new axel, hubs, springs and brakes since the price of brakes alone was almost half the price than the total sum of all the parts. After my trip this Summer, I may decide to upgrade the other axel and springs next year?
Old 02-07-2023, 11:07 AM   #9

Axel change went great. As I mentioned I used two jacks stands on the rear frame and then replaced the rear axel and springs. I had to use another jack to move equalizer so the new springs would line up with the mounting braces due to flex of other spring attached to the front axel on ground that. And then when I was installing the last axel side, I had to ratchet the spring to the outside about an 1/8th of an inch so the pin of the spring would line up with the hole in axel brace. Other than that, it went smooth.
Next time I might bolt the springs to the axel before I jack up and mount. May make it a little easier?
Also...for the life of me, I don't understand why these medium sized TT's keep using these 4400#axels? The 6000# axel is about the same price but the spindle is much bigger and the drums are 12in. Shame on GD for not putting the more beefy axel on in the first place.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeby5 View Post
Axel change went great. As I mentioned I used two jacks stands on the rear frame and then replaced the rear axel and springs. I had to use another jack to move equalizer so the new springs would line up with the mounting braces due to flex of other spring attached to the front axel on ground that. And then when I was installing the last axel side, I had to ratchet the spring to the outside about an 1/8th of an inch so the pin of the spring would line up with the hole in axel brace. Other than that, it went smooth.
Next time I might bolt the springs to the axel before I jack up and mount. May make it a little easier?
Also...for the life of me, I don't understand why these medium sized TT's keep using these 4400#axels? The 6000# axel is about the same price but the spindle is much bigger and the drums are 12in. Shame on GD for not putting the more beefy axel on in the first place.
Because an 8000# GVWR Trailer only needs 4400# AXLES to meet/exceed full weight on AXLES
Fully loaded 8000# trailer will have only 7000# on the AXLES and 1000# on Tongue -----Two 4400# AXLES=8800# capacity
So RV MFG doesn't have any incentive to use higher capacity AXLES and/or suspension
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
amps, rear, axle