Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2021, 09:29 PM   #1

Tankless water heater in TT

Ok, I'm thinking about how DW and I use our TT, and I'm intrigued by the idea of "endless hot water".

Has anyone successfully replaced a Suburban 6 gal tank (gas+electric) with one of these Suburban IW-60 units? I think from a cursory look I'd be wanting the one with the recirculate loop function.. would this require major plumbing replanning? I'm not afraid of running some extra PEX if it means quick hot water and lots of it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2021, 05:43 AM   #2

Endless hot water and a way to conserve it, the best of both worlds.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:52 AM   #3

Endless hot water and a HUGE grey tank or always on full hookups.
FWIW DW and I have never had an issue with our 10 gal hot water heater.
We went from a 6 to a 10 and it made all the difference.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:54 AM   #4

A buddy of mine was in love with this idea, until I reminded him that due to fresh tank capacity and grey tank limits, long hot showers were still a fantasy.

Unless you're in a campground with full hookups then go for it!
swavescatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #5

OEM ONLY?! What Speakest Thou!

I think I found another hitch in my giddyup.. The Nautilus RL is available to OEMs only (Searched all last night) Guess they dont trust the usual hobbyist plumber/owner to be able to construct a recirc loop.

As for the fresh tank limits and grey tank limits.. yes long hot showers would be limited to full hookups.. but when boondocking this would still eliminate the 1 hour preshower turn on window, and the cold water in the end of the run for sinks and shower, and you would be no-worse-off than usual when running on your fresh tank.. you'd still have your Navy Shower, just without the cold bursts at each turn on of the water. Yes the expense would be 12V (for the recirc pump) and extra propane.. but only for the time you were actually using it, not as a storage, so I wonder as to the efficiencies there.

For now might have to content myself with the IW60 which IS available to end users and brew up my own recirc loop.. An opportunity for a thought excercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
Ok, I'm thinking about how DW and I use our TT, and I'm intrigued by the idea of "endless hot water".

Has anyone successfully replaced a Suburban 6 gal tank (gas+electric) with one of these Suburban IW-60 units? I think from a cursory look I'd be wanting the one with the recirculate loop function.. would this require major plumbing replanning? I'm not afraid of running some extra PEX if it means quick hot water and lots of it.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:02 PM   #6

... intrigued, for sure. Subscribed!
ArcticGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:43 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There are issues with water volume. If there is not enough flow to trigger the burner it never comes on, and there can be issues with too much pressure also. You can adjust it to run well on pump pressure and if you run the pump along with the city water hookup it only uses a little of the water in your fresh tank along with the city supply and will give consistent pressure, you will have to refill the fresh tank more often though.

We have a 10 gallon Suburban and I am able to take a 10 minute shower as long as I don't have it turned up to full blasting pressure. I think you may find that you have plenty of room if you look on the Suburban site for dimensions. The 10 gallon is not much taller than the 6 gallon.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:19 PM   #8

No pumps needed to recirculate water until hot.
Just need 1 more line back to the water tank, or anywhere just before the pump.

https://aquaviewinc.com/rv/

I have a propane, tankless water heater. It works fine on tank and city water.
Its smart enough to keep a constant temp, at different flow rates.

I have endless hot water as long as I have city water and a sewer hookup.
Old 02-09-2021, 08:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
No pumps needed to recirculate water until hot.
Just need 1 more line back to the water tank, or anywhere just before the pump.

I have a propane, tankless water heater. It works fine on tank and city water.
Its smart enough to keep a constant temp, at different flow rates.

I have endless hot water as long as I have city water and a sewer hookup.
Intriguing solution.. so this solution uses the FW tank as a catch, removing the necessity for a pump to circulate on the pressurized side. So in boondocking FW is returned to the FW tank, tankless HW heater continues to run, and shower always hot.. on FHU, FW tank acts as a catch.. Neat ideas.

I also was thinking what about using an end-of-run unpowered valve like with
https://www.watts.com/products/Plumb...Systems/500800
maybe connected to the hot and cold supplies behind the shower using the cold water supply as the return loop. Maybe use the light switch in the bathroom to start the loop priming pump on 12V.

That should at least theoretically function like a home system keeping everything on the pressurized side at least for a tanked system to avoid the cold flash when the shower is opened... I see the Watts sensor isn't meant for tankless since when water hits 98 degrees flow rate goes to 0...

I think I have to draw this out... or use a real recirc line with a check valve teed into the CW input of the Tankless..and a 12v pump... https://www.amazon.com/bayite-BYT-7A...2931246&sr=8-8 and a relay cut into the bathroom light...

Hmmmm.. time to build a shopping list..
Old 02-10-2021, 10:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by swavescatter View Post
A buddy of mine was in love with this idea, until I reminded him that due to fresh tank capacity and grey tank limits, long hot showers were still a fantasy.

Unless you're in a campground with full hookups then go for it!
Yep, for boondocking even the 6 gall HWT is more than enough. I consider a short hot shower a luxury when camping. Just another example of the difference between boondocking and full hookup camping.

Dave
Old 12-20-2021, 04:57 AM   #11

Tankless Water Heater

JMitchell,
Hi n good evening sorry it's so long past the thread but wanted to give you my take on the Suburban IW60. I recently installed unit as a replacement to my orginal 6 gal tanked unit and so far I luv the unit it isn't having any problem getting water hot enough in 25 degree weather, which was a concern I had orginally. 60,000 btu is one of the highest in the industry and you can tell when I'm demanding propane from my furnace, water heater n oven it has worked fine. I can say wherever it is located the closest water faucet to the unit will be the hottest as my unit is directly under my kitchen sink and that faucet is the hottest it is 130 degrees as I tested it in a multitude of weather. My shower and bathroom sink does not get as hot due to the line travel but it is still plenty hot to shower. I spent thirty years dealing with the military and know plenty about Navy showers, it doesn't necessarily waste hardly any water if you're boondocking because I put a bucket in Shower put the water that first comes out cold when you shut it off in the bucket and use it for other stuff (flushing toilet, washing dishes). I can say when you have full hookups this water heater is the one of the best things I ever changed on my rig I have long hair Navy showers and cold water in the winter are not cohesive to me anymore LOL. I do know they sell small recirculation loops for aftermarket types of installation but I never did it. I would like to know if you ended up installing it and what you did if anything to save the few seconds of cold water? Thank you for your time if you haven't purchased this unit I don't think you could go wrong the only unit I believe that even comes close to being better is truma and it is majorly overpriced and you are not allowed to install it yourself. Anyway sorry for such a long post have a beautiful blessed Christmas to all.
Ginna :-)🎄
Bean67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:40 AM   #12

"... I do know they sell small recirculation loops for aftermarket types of installation but I never did it. I would like to know if you ended up installing it and what you did if anything to save the few seconds of cold water? ..."

A small 12 volt solar recalculating pump works. Install in plumbing space under sink or shower. Connect intake to hot water. Connect output to a check valve. Connect check valve to cold water.
https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Fresh-Wa.../37262195.html
https://www.amazon.com/MOTORHOME-TRA...en-bath&sr=1-8

Any suitable 12 volt switch works to turn it on or off.

Here is a suitable pump.
https://www.amazon.com/bayite-BYT-7A..._t1_B08XLQBMZ1

It is not a good idea to use the hose fittings and vinyl tubing. Get proper flexible plumbing hoses for connections like these. They come an many lengths.
https://www.amazon.com/FlexCraft-271...s%2C150&sr=1-7
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:23 AM   #13

You may be looking for this. Running the return line back to the tank may be challenging.

I may order one and install it when I get back home.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:51 AM   #14

For endless hot water showers, you need full hookups. If you have full hookups, you’re at a campground that has showers with endless hot water. So why would you want one of these in your TT?

Tags
heat, heater, tank, water, water heater