RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #1

Tearing it all out and doing a remodel

I have a 2005 Jayco Jay Feather 24' and 2 years ago we had a left flat and the tread stayed on the tire and took out the floor, plumbing, gas, etc. I didn't have a lot of money at that time, so we made a wooden wheel well, repaired the floor and put most of it back together. We went boondocking last week and the cabinet with the stove & sink moved about 1.5'! Amazingly everything worked, no gas or water leaks. We have decided that we are going to take out all the cabinets, go from a queen to 2 singles, get rid of the bench seats and go to table and chairs. Has anyone here done a big remodel on their TT? Can you point me in the right direction as far as websites, YouTube, etc.
Thanks in advance and Stay groovy,
jeff
Groovy Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 09:53 PM   #2

Are you a carpenter, cabinet maker, plumber, and electrician, and able to work from scratch, doing strong, lightweight construction, and have project management experience to flow the work?

If so, go for it. If not, I'll bet this becomes one of those "gutted ready to build it your way" Craigslist ads I see all the time.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed std cab long bed Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. Previous, Being repaired and will be sold, is a 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180. SOLD - 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:43 AM   #3

That's a big job, particularly if you start redoing plumbing and electric. Be aware you will quite likely uncover things you didn't realize were messed up (water damage, etc.) that will likely need repairing. As long as you have the time, money, tools, and a little bit of skill, it's doable. There is a You Tube channel called "The Endless Adventure" where a young couple are gutting and redoing a vintage motor home. They're still in the rebuilding process, but might give you an idea of what you would be getting into.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:08 AM   #4

I have a 26 foot TT. Last year I ripped out the cheep dinet, replaced with a island on wheels with 2 stools that store under it, and 2 droors has a drop down/up leaf. Can be left in, or easily taken out. I built a box to go over the wheel well, so it holds 4 large milk crates with stuff hidden under it. Also ripped out the cheep couch thingy. used spare wood, to make a cover over the furnace that was under the couch. I am sitting in what is called a gaming chair, they aren't cheep, but its on wheels, goes up and down, can fully recline, has pull out foot rest, and lower back vibrating pillow. It also can be taken outside. Cabinets, I did as they started to come apart. Any punky spots, dry out and thin out expoxy and keep putting it on till it wont take anymore. Take all doors and droors of and sand. I found jell stain to be a very nice level coat, vs paint. Think outside the box and make a murphy bed/s. Best of luck.
Traveler4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Are you a carpenter, cabinet maker, plumber, and electrician, and able to work from scratch, doing strong, lightweight construction, and have project management experience to flow the work?

If so, go for it. If not, I'll bet this becomes one of those "gutted ready to build it your way" Craigslist ads I see all the time.

Charles
Thanks for your vote of confidence Charles
Groovy Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:54 AM   #6

Having built my own house and restored many 60s muscle cars I not only have the skills but also the patience and sticktoitness to get it finished. Most people have never worked on a project that takes years to complete. My education paled in comparison to building your own house while working full time. That said, there is no greater satisfaction then living in a house you built from scratch with only you as the crew. Every nail, every skinned knuckle, every indecision to overcome. Every heated conversation with the building inspector. Be prepared to buy a lot of tools and your wife to act as a single mother. Be sure you are committed to getting it done to the point of working all the time, even when you donít want to, because there is so much to do. Carpentry skills can be learned but mechanical aptitude is paramount and a skill saw, a sharp blade, a quality framing hammer, pipe wrench, slip joint pliers, and a DeWalt cordless drill, will be your best friends. Have fun! Paul R. Haller
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:20 PM   #7

I agree with Paul - there is definitely some satisfaction in doing it yourself, and once you see how flimsily these campers are built, you will realize it doesn't take a lot of skill or effort to make something better than the original!
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:49 AM   #8

You are definitely in for an adventure. Just take it a piece at a time and don't rush or cut corners. Be aware of weight when you start changing cabinets so you don't go crazy heavy.

I removed a booth once and replaced it with a table and chairs. The frame was just screwed into the wall in about 50 places and came right out. Just a side note. When the booth was cut up in pieces it burned in the campfire for 1 1/2 hours. Lots of glue.

The plumbing should not be to bad as long as you take pictures before you start so you have an idea what goes where. It will just be pex and you can use Shark Tooth (I think that is the name) fittings. They just push into the pex lines. Something else to remember is if you are replacing fixtures you DO NOT have to use RV parts. Go to home Depot or Lowes and get better quality fixtures if you are going to change them.

The gas line is something else and I would probably try to leave that alone and work around it. But then I have never messed with gas lines before so I don't really know.

And remember to have fun. This is just another part of your RV adventure.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:04 AM   #9

Everything I fixed or replaced on my trailer is done better than from the factory. I use screws instead of staples. I use thicker wood, better glue, thicker wire etc.

I am sure your trailer will be better after your remodel.

Best of luck to you.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:09 PM   #10

Another YouTube source is AdventurousWay. A young couple living full time did a remodel after two years. It looks pretty good in their video. They provide links to some of the material and components they used, too.
JHinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:14 PM   #11

Sounds like a fun project and you will have exactly what you want when you are done. I look forward to seeing pictures and reading about your project and of course seeing you enjoying the final product!

Mike
Mr_Moustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:27 PM   #12

Flats, blowouts can and do cause a lot of damage.
You managed a bandaide job with limited resources that brought it to a useable condition. So now with more to work with I'm sure you will bring it up to a new and improved state. Good luck, take your time and plan it out.
Good luck.
Jeff
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel