Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2021, 02:38 PM   #1

Tell me your thoughts on my idea.

So not to start a debate on whether to cover the tires or not. I decided I will since it doesn’t cost that much anyway. I don’t much like getting on my hands and knees to put wheel covers on so as is my usual I’m trying to find a simple solution. I didn’t invent this idea, but I saw a motor home with curtains that hung down and covered the tires. I thought it was a great idea. I didn’t want to spend what I see them charging so I was trying to figure a way to create my own. I was studying the outside of the trailer when it dawned on me that I just had seat covers made for my pontoon boat that install with snaps to protect from the elements. I figured I could have them make a flat sheet cut to size that would snap above the wheel wells and hang down protecting from the sun. I’m going to have them put modest weights on the bottom to keep the wind from flapping them around. As long as the only reason to cover the tires is UV rays then I see no reason this won’t work.
Your thoughts?
pj48009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2021, 02:44 PM   #2

It's a good idea and would look better than those vinyl tire covers. I've seen newer Class A's with these factory installed. They use a fabric which breaths (so the wind doesn't catch them) and must have UV protection built in.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 11:11 PM   #3

Anyone considered Sunblock for Tires? Supposed to last 5 years.

And, I think you have a very good idea!
Ldubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:15 AM   #4

I like the idea. Sounds simple and easy. Only negative I can think of would be if you got in a really bad storm, the wind might be able to whip up the weighted end enough that it could potentially damage the side of the rig. Probably not very likely, but could happen. I would probably take them off if I knew a storm was coming.
jergle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 08:23 AM   #5

I’m taking a weekend trip and will stop by the fab shop on my way home Monday. If I accomplish this mission I’ll post pics when I’m done.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:59 AM   #6

Wait, what about big hefty bags and plenty of good old duct tape??

Seriously, though, I like the curtains and snaps idea -- please post photos when it's completed!
Old 08-27-2021, 10:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldubs View Post
Anyone considered Sunblock for Tires? Supposed to last 5 years.

And, I think you have a very good idea!
5 years is about the age you should be replacing them anyway.

I think the OP’s idea is good if you think your tires need covering.
jondrew55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 01:12 PM   #8

I think the OP's idea is great. I would not use vinyl.
I would use sunbrella or similar. That would last a very long time.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 03:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew55 View Post
5 years is about the age you should be replacing them anyway.

I think the OP’s idea is good if you think your tires need covering.

UV protection will definitely extend the life of your tires. Or any rubber or plastic component. OP has a good idea. I’m not sure it’s original but a good idea none the less.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 06:55 AM   #10

Definitely not completely original. It was after seeing a motor home with it and wondered if a TT could do the same. I kept searching and studying my wheel wells and wasn’t finding anything cost effective. It was when I was putting my seat covers on the pontoon boat I had the ah hah moment. Many pontoon owners don’t use boat covers anymore since it’s a pain to cover that big thing. Individual seat covers made of sunbrella make it so much easier. You just uncover the seat your going to use then go. The deck is waterproof anyways. So when I was snapping them on I thought it would be easy to make rectangular flaps that snap on above the wheel wells. I’m not so sure the wheels need covers anyways but it won’t hurt. My tires are two years old and I’m about to replace them. Only because they are the no name Chinese tires. That’s a whole new thread. The only thing that will stop me is if it’s too expensive. I’ll find out soon.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:11 AM   #11

Drag racers use tire shades like these to keep tire pressure’s consistent. I think these use suction cups or magnets but same idea. Snaps definitely would hold better.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3270.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	341249
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:56 AM   #12

Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj48009 View Post
So not to start a debate on whether to cover the tires or not. I decided I will since it doesn’t cost that much anyway. I don’t much like getting on my hands and knees to put wheel covers on so as is my usual I’m trying to find a simple solution. I didn’t invent this idea, but I saw a motor home with curtains that hung down and covered the tires. I thought it was a great idea. I didn’t want to spend what I see them charging so I was trying to figure a way to create my own. I was studying the outside of the trailer when it dawned on me that I just had seat covers made for my pontoon boat that install with snaps to protect from the elements. I figured I could have them make a flat sheet cut to size that would snap above the wheel wells and hang down protecting from the sun. I’m going to have them put modest weights on the bottom to keep the wind from flapping them around. As long as the only reason to cover the tires is UV rays then I see no reason this won’t work.
Your thoughts?
I had them until realized that I never cover my truck tires and they work just fine.
Maxxcamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:27 AM   #13

I knew I didn’t have original thought.
Old 08-29-2021, 07:08 AM   #14

Me, I have a bad back and have difficulty getting down and then back up.
Also, I didn't want to drill a bunch of holes in the fiberglass wheel wells of our coach.
So whats the big objection re the fleece lined vinyl covers? My first set lasted almost ten years.
I read the following trick on how to make them easy-on and easy-off.
So I cable tied a piece of 3/8" chain (six links worked) to each of the bottom corner grommets on each cover. Then it is just a matter of sliding the cover over the tire and adjust the outer lip until parallel to the ground.
Haven't lost one or had it come off in 12 years. Nice part is this method is simple, no need to match holes to snaps,and the chains are gathered up by the cable ties and fairly well hidden.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote