Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
"Texas Doubles"

Where is this combination legal? ...................................Not in Washington State!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0764.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	4633   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0767.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	4635  

Monaco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Recently saw a p/u truck & fifth wheel towing a golf cart on a trailer here in SC.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question LEGAL?

It's not legal in BC, but in ALBERTA it is very much LEGAL!!!!

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:44 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Some years ago I saw a Pickup pulling a 5th wheel pulling a boat trailer and I ask the driver, Nicely. (Don't pay to tick 'em off) He told me it was legal.. So when I got back to work I grabbed a copy of the Michigan Vehicle code and guess what.. He spoke the truth. IT was indeed legal in Michigan at that time.

Since then they have, from what I understand, Modified the law.. MORE LENIENT, the law then specified a boat trailer.. Today they do not specify.

The only issue, which I can not tell from the JPGs is.... How long was that rig.. There is a length limit,
Old 07-08-2010, 05:46 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Last I knew it is legal here in Iowa....but you'll never see us trying it
Dick & Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:45 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just because it is legal, does not mean that it is necessary smart.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:17 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco38 View Post
Where is this combination legal? ...................................Not in Washington State!
The Trailer Life Directory 'Rules of the Road' lists the various states that allow towing doubles (Triple Towing) and the restrictions when doing it. Click this link for their chart.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #8

RV doubles like the "Texas doubles" picture, is legal in many states. Dot/NHTSA/FMCSA definition of doubles is truck pulling a semi trailer/trailer. Tripples is a truck pulling a semi trailer/trailer/trailer. Many RV information based web sites are incorrectly calling a truck/semi trailer/trailer as a tripple tow is misleading.

We see lots of tripples (3 trailers) mostly in the summer, around here as we have lots of COE lakes. Most are a 5th wheel with a boat with a pair of PWC's on a trailer dragging up the rear.

Fall and winter we have a trucks pulling a 5th wheel/horse trailer/trailer full of ATV's going to CO or NM on hunting trips.

To be legal hauler is to be a safer hauler. To infere that towing legally isn't smart is just ............ .
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:43 PM   #9
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
In some cases, the law of common sense should prevail in situations such as this. Unfortunately many people today fail to realize that because they believethat if the law says it's ok, it must be right. To ask any tow vehicle to be able to stop itself + a vehicle it is towing + a vehicle that is being towed behind the second one is really asking for trouble. Most of us that have towed for a number of years know that being legal won't always cover your butt if one becomes involved in an accident with this kind of setup. When I see the type of setup mentioned, I avoid being around that scenario like the plague.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I know this is legal in some states. Just wanted to point out by the post that it is not legal in the State of Washington. Won't comment on the wisdom of this towing combination where it is legal. Could not believe when I saw this that someone would not check in advance if such an arrangement was legal in the states they were going to travel before setting out. Also do not know for certain if this was someone from out of state, or in fact was someone local. Either way...duh!!

Old 07-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I can't help but wonder if the cop parked behind the rig (photo on right) is writing the guy a ticket for his double tow? It looks as if he has been pulled over for something.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:01 AM   #12

Texas calls this "Triple Towing", although to me, it's double towing. It is legal in Texas as long as you don't exceed 65'.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:03 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Joe, hence the reference to Texas in my thread title as I had heard it was legal in Texas, and yes Richard, I suspect the officer was more than likely issuing a citation. Not seen in the picture were the blue lights. A second officer in a command vehicle arrived on the scene just after I finished snapping these pictures.

Old 07-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT View Post
Texas calls this "Triple Towing", although to me, it's double towing. It is legal in Texas as long as you don't exceed 65'.
yeah, I think where some of the RV webs calling a truck/trailer/trailer a tripple tow is from misreading/misinterpretation of the regs intent. For example TX 621.205 reg says;

Sec. 621.205. MAXIMUM LENGTH OF VEHICLE COMBINATIONS. (a) Except as provided by this section, a combination of not more than three vehicles, including a truck and semitrailer, truck and trailer, truck-tractor and semitrailer and trailer, or a truck-tractor and two trailers, may be coupled together if the combination of vehicles, other than a truck-tractor combination, is not longer than 65 feet."

The reg says "three vehicles" and somehow RV webs get it as a "tripple tow" combination which it isn't.

Oh well, at least the folks that pull combinations understand the difference.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote