Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-22-2021, 10:16 AM   #15

So would consensus be that a 25' or shorter trailer under 7,000 GVWR be a pretty safe bet? 6,500 lbs or less likely better with the specs below?

F150 3.5L V6 ecoboost with 3.55 electronic lock rear axle
7,000# gvwr package
Max trailer tow package
145" wheel base

The Jayco X213 is GVWR is 5,500lbs. So searching for RV's in the 25' or less length and 6,500lbs or less GVWR.
LIseverewx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #16

The 3.5 litre eco-boost is a powerful engine but the weight and wheelbase of the truck is what controls the trailer. If the Jayco 213X works for you I would agree, that would be a comfortable tow.

I towed a 2008 Gulfstream Streamlite 22SLB with a 2011 F-150 5.0 litre with a 1,550lb payload. It did have a tow package and had the big 36 gallon gas tank. If you look at the specs you will see the dry weight of the Streamlite 22 SLB was under 4,000lbs but it had a cargo capacity of over 3,000lbs. I had it loaded to what I guessed was 5,500lbs. This was a very comfortable set-up with a Drawtite WD Hitch. I towed it from Columbus Ohio 950 miles to Crystal River Florida to spend winter. It was a very easy trip.

I do not want you to short change yourself on the trailer. I would have towed more with my F-150 but don't really know how big or how heavy before it would start to get squirrley.

Maybe go to YouTube to watch towing with a F-150 with the 3.5 Eco-Boost.

Good luck.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:24 AM   #17

Thanks again for replies everyone. After doing a little more research and some numbers think I will try and stay under 6,000lbs. Also, looked into my truck a bit more. It has an integrated trailer brake and I believe may even has a front sway bar that is part of max trailer tow package. When I bought my F150 I knew I wanted to get an RV eventually. Thankfully I got it with some tow capabilities because at the time I thought any F150 could pull any size trailer. Ford Trailer guide says any tow weight over 5,000lbs needs to have a WDH. So now I am looking more into WDH options.
Old 02-23-2021, 06:46 AM   #18

you should be ok with a trailer under 30' and 7000#..ours is 28' and even tho it is listed as 4700# empty and max 7000# per the specs, it never weighs that much when towing..always just under 6000#. I am able to set cruise for 68-69 on most trips and get 8.5-10 mpg. my trailer is 28' and it seems plenty long enough when towing..I tow it with a '19 ram 1500 laramie ccsb 4x4 5.7 hemi 3.92 gears and 8 spd trans. I switched out the rear sway bar for a Helwig and I run more air in the tires when towing for a little more stiffness. our usual trips are 100-200 miles. but have towed as much as 570 each way several times..( Big Bend ). I use the Husky centerline hitch with the 800# bars.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 08:54 AM   #19

What would you guys think about my situation and towing an Imagine XLS17MKE

Grand Design website shows GVWR of 6395lbs with hitch weight of 480lbs. The trailer is a little less than 22' in length.

I love the Imagine XLS 22MLE but that has GVWR of 6995lbs but that is probably pushing too much weight?

My other question with trailer GVWR is do you figure on 100% of that weight or more like 80-90% of it?

Does heavier trailer GVWR but shorter length trailer make any difference as far as what you can comfortably/safely tow?
Old 02-23-2021, 02:04 PM   #20

They haven't published a GVWR yet but you might also take a look at a Rockwood Geo Pro G20FBS. Holding tanks are smaller but may have a more solid construction. Not as much cargo capacity probably due to the single axle.
Old 02-23-2021, 03:09 PM   #21

I go by the specs for the vehicle and then give myself 500lbs leniency , probably in gvwr because pl was you much.
Gvwr 14k
Gcwr 43k
Fawr 6k
Rawr 9750
Some say you shouldn't haul that much with a 3500, i say thats what it was built to do , going forward, backward, up, down, taking off, and stopping are all rated to handle 43k by manufacturers standards. I'll be around 40k with my new fiver and probably 14,500 on the truck because of Lund tool box, but raw will be 500lbs under. Drive safe and try to stay within your set parameters.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 05:43 PM   #22

I think you would be ok with the XLS 22 MLE. Again the 3.5 Eco-Boost will pull it fine and a shorter trailer will not catch as much wind.

Especially if you only load it to 6,500 lbs.

Enjoy.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 09:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIseverewx View Post
What would you guys think about my situation and towing an Imagine XLS17MKE

Grand Design website shows GVWR of 6395lbs with hitch weight of 480lbs. The trailer is a little less than 22' in length.

I love the Imagine XLS 22MLE but that has GVWR of 6995lbs but that is probably pushing too much weight?

My other question with trailer GVWR is do you figure on 100% of that weight or more like 80-90% of it?

Does heavier trailer GVWR but shorter length trailer make any difference as far as what you can comfortably/safely tow?
I'd tow the 1st trailer with your truck, no problem.....the second one is getting close to the max I'd be comfortable with but you'll get conflicting opinions.

It's always best to use the GVWR as the weight rather than an arbitrary portion of it.

Yes, both weight and length matter, particularly on the highway and at speed. Again, I prefer to keep half tons at or around 6,000 lbs GVWR and 25' max but depending on the actual truck and setup you can likely push those numbers a bit. If I was considering pushing the TT to the max, I'd seriously consider a Hensley or ProPride hitch.

2 cents,
Dave
Old 02-24-2021, 11:31 AM   #24

No. A heavier trailer at a shorter length does not mean you can tow more. Weight is the primary number you need to look at, whereas length can be much more subjective to what you’re comfortable with. Your truck will be fine with both of those trailers as far as your capacity goes. The only issue you might run into is with how many people you are bringing with you. There is no rule of thumb for your truck needing to outweigh your trailer. Ignore that advice. That actually makes zero sense. Filter some of the advice on this forum as many people are great but some post just to post something. I have an imagine 21BHE that I towed with a Ram 1500 and switched to a 2500. Careful with the x213. I was told directly by a person who works for a company that rhymes with Jayco that they are prone to leaks and issues with the slide having such a far extension.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
No. A heavier trailer at a shorter length does not mean you can tow more. Weight is the primary number you need to look at, whereas length can be much more subjective to what you’re comfortable with.
not sure if the "no" was in response to my comment or not but everything you've said is correct and a short length won't allow you to go over weight. Despite this, both weight and length have an effect on windage and towing so you might have two trailers with identical weights; one at 25' OA length and the other at 30'......all other things being equal, the 25' would be an easier tow.

Dave
Old 02-24-2021, 12:33 PM   #26

Ha yeah I should have quoted what I was replying to. I meant that “no” was for the weight question. No you can’t tow more weight with a shorter trailer. Weight is weight. Length certainly makes for a different towing experience, since a camper is a giant sail. I didn’t want to add confusion by also saying that heavier is better with length. I guess that needs to be stated. The longer the trailer you are towing, the heavier you kinda want it to be to a certain degree. Physics is a pain in the butt. You are going to get pushed around with more surface area and the weights can all contribute to better/worse handling depending on how it all fits together. There is a fundamental truth that these forums kinda brings to the surface. Towing an RV is actually quite complicated and they are generally really one of the harder things out there to tow. We tow very long trailers and heave trailers for my job. None of them are the pain on the butt that a 38’ travel trailer presents. Especially going through a toll plaza.
ardvark16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:18 PM   #27

Thanks again guys. Amazing info, insight and advice!
Old 02-24-2021, 06:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
A good rule of thumb is that your tow vehicle should weigh more than your trailer for maximum safety and stability.
So this can't be done?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1FA8C96E-B2EB-4EA9-AF56-5DFC5CA889EF.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	155.9 KB
ID:	319182  
Kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow