Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2021, 08:59 PM   #1

The hunt for no slide outs 😳

In wanting to downsize from my 3 slide fifth wheel which is about 34 ft in total length... I was initially going rogue and looking for a truck camper. The TC idea wasn't working out too well because my pickup is better suited for towing than payload being a 2500 diesel. Had a good chat with my wife on this and we're both ok with a travel trailer. So here's some of the requirements we had.

Mine:
1. Must be no longer than 26' in total length because I don't want to be any longer from my truck bumper than current rig.
2. Done with slideouts... you can only guess why.
3. I don't even really care for fiberglass shell anymore but can deal with it if I have to, or go back to stick and tin.

Wife:
Must have bedroom with queen bed and a solid bedroom door that will close off from rest of camper.

Basically we're looking for a couples style camper and our one daughter would definitely travel with us or we'd pick up the grand kids. So we do want some type of a fold down dinette and couch for sleeping. NO bunks though. The current problem that I'm seeing is anytime I find exactly what I'm looking for there is also stacked bunks jammed in the layout... but then noone seems to offer that layout without bunks. It's really hurting my brain 😂

The closest we came so far on the top end is an airstream which I wouldn't buy new and so hard to find used... we also really liked the Cirrus travel trailer but found out they suspended production of those so they can keep up with their teardrop orders.
I looked at so many of the cheaper production brands and feel like all I'm seeing is slideouts and bunks. Any ideas on brands?
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2021, 09:50 PM   #2

All of the non slide units that I know of are all on the smaller side. Lance has a 2075. ORV also have smaller non slide units, both are of higher interior quality.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 10:21 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
All of the non slide units that I know of are all on the smaller side. Lance has a 2075. ORV also have smaller non slide units, both are of higher interior quality.
Yeah, I think I want to take another look at the Lance. Those ORVs are nice... I'm in Pa and I think the closest dealers were something like Idaho and Texas. Closest Lance dealer, at least for truck campers, Is down in West Virginia. So I may try to play that into factor as well. It would be nice if I could find something worth it that would be from a dealer within an hour or so.

I was on one lot a few weeks back looking at some North Trail and Winnebago TTs. The level of shoddy finishes and broken items, loose trim, flexible side walls and other mistakes were alarming. It's basically slapped together and delivered... the dealer is more focused on getting on the lot that I think they overlook all the mistakes. I have a feeling this will be a tough journey. Full disclosure, my fifth wheel was bought new in 2005 and probably one of the last of the good quality before that 2008 mess. From then until now I'm really seeing a big decline
EnolaEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:43 AM   #4

Take a look at the Arctic Fox 22g.

https://northwoodmfg.com/arctic-fox-2/arctic-fox-22g/
Old 05-18-2021, 09:44 AM   #5

26' with no slide AND separate bedroom is going to be a tough one. ORV has a couple non-slide units but no wall; 18RBS, 21RD and 20BD....all between 23'2" and 25'3"

I was also going to mention the Lance 2075.

We looked at the Rockwood 2506s as my wife liked the separate bedroom, but you are back to the one slide.

I applaud the decision to stay small; I also had a 26' max overall length requirement. I also share your dislike of slides but ultimately went with my ORV 21RBS which has a single dinette slide - I had them add a slide topper for extra protection from leaks. This slide is relatively small and has nothing heavy and no plumbing in it so if one was to have a slide, this one should be as safe as it gets.....time will tell

Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #6

Unfortunately it has gone to a new level of sloppiness in the past year. Even Lance, and ORV are putting out questionable units.

Made the purchase of our 2018 Lance, back in June 2017, and not one single issue since. May want to go back a few years if you can find a well cared for unit. But your correct as both of these are more prevalent out west.

I have no crystal ball, but my hunch is that RV sales will drop dramatically sometime next year.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:27 AM   #7

Take another look at Lance.
We have a 2017 2285, Yes ,it has a slide.
I gather you have had issues with slides.
Over 4 years now & about 20,000 miles & have never had an issue with slide. Not 1.
I lube mechanism twice a year & treat seals about 3 times a year. That's it.
We also have a awning over slide that helps keep stuff off top.
Never had a leak. Live in Seattle area & slide is out 90% of the time in driveway.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:12 AM   #8

Grand Design Transcend 247BH...

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/247bh
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtate View Post
Nice but he said no longer than 26' and that one is 30' long....

Dave
Old 05-18-2021, 11:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Pelletier View Post
Nice but he said no longer than 26' and that one is 30' long....

Dave
There is always this one....

It is just 11" too long...

https://www.granddesignrv.com/showro...oorplans/221rb
sirtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:27 PM   #11

We really like our ORV 21RD. Only thing is it has a curtain for the bedroom.
Old 05-18-2021, 01:37 PM   #12

A couple of years ago we looked at Lance in Virginia. I think it was Lynchburg.
Old 05-18-2021, 02:03 PM   #13

Can’t help you on your quest. When we were looking for our next MH we too we’re not really excited about slides after reading of the various issues people were having. We needed something in the 30ft range and under 12.5 inches high to to existing carport. We have had a desire to take our great nephew on so camping trips so a bed for him and possible his mom was an important factor. We also did not want to feel we were in a small narrow box.

After looking for a long time we took a look at a Newmar BayStar Sport that had three slides, two bunks, and the layout was great.

Now, the reason(s) I’m relating this we love the room the three slides give us. And other than some owner brain f*rts the slides the slides have been almost perfect. The only hitch is needing to check slide motor mounts. We now would not have a unit w/o at least a full wall slide.

The other reason for my response is the bunks. Turns out and I suspect you will also, is after five years the nephew has stayed with us in the MH maybe 5 times. The best use of the bunks is extra storage for things that won’t fit in the minimal storage areas provided, and things we buy along the way. What we did learn tho is while the bunks are nice for small kids or lite-weight short adult there is no place to store their stuff. Should we decide to purchase another one, we will get a MH built for two.

Just input, do with it what you want.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:01 PM   #14

Love our Arctic Fox 22G with sit and sleep sofa with fold over bed but there is no wall/door between the bed and rest of the trailer. We also did not want the weight or complexity of a slide.

My son sometimes travels with us but he sleeps on a 10 inch thick memory foam mattress in the GMC2500HD truck bed with Leer cap and BedRug. We only share the trailer with him when awake.

Our trailer is 23.5 feet ball to bumper. I don't think we need more living space than we have.

Tags
slide, slide out