Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #1

Theory Question about Elec Tongue Jack Position

Question - Should I store my TT with the electric tongue jack in a low or high position to thwart TT theft?

I have an aluminium lockable battery box. The battery has three wires attached to the positive side and a battery disconnect on the negative. One of the wires is the positive direct feed for the electric tongue jack. The other wires are connected to the battery charger and converter.

When I park/store my unit, I turn the battery disconnect to off which disables the tongue jack. But, when I connect the 7-pin to my truck, the battery disconnect is bypassed and allows the tongue jack to operate. This week, I plan to install an Anderson Powerpole connector on the power feed for the tongue jack. The installation of the Powerpole connector will be inside the locked battery box, and I break that connection when I park/store my unit.

QUESTION
Should I store my unit with the jack in a low or high position before disconnecting the tongue jack power feed? My reasoning is to kind'a make it a little harder for thieves to hook up and roll.

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power...s-45amp-bonded

[SIGPIC]sigpic160806_2.gif[/SIGPIC]
sd75mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2016, 09:28 AM   #2

There is a thread in the travel trailer section (where this thread is located) that has some real world experience shared concerning the theft of a trailer. You can get to it directly by clicking on this link.

As far as answering your question regarding storage position of the tongue jack I'd think that you'd want it in a low position so they'd have to raise it to get their tow vehicle underneath the coupler. I've also seen where others have also let down all of the stablizers after they get the tongue jack where they want it. That way the miscreants would also have to raise the stablizers as well before purloining your trailer. A hitch lock would also be a good thing to have as well. Anything you can do to make it more complicated to steal it would help. Granted all these things could be overcome with enough time but time is not the friend of the thief.
Krazy Kajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #3

Stabilizers are down, x-chock installed, two hitch locks. My thinking about lowering the tongue jack too, good point.

Old 12-13-2016, 02:17 PM   #4

you can NOT stop a thief...

but you can make it to time consuming.
to much work
or to noisy...

or all 3.

but if they truly want it.. they will have it.

I lost a prized car.. with all 3 in place. and the engine was out of the car..
took car,engine,tools... and destroyed the front of garage to get it. during the day.
Chuck_Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #5

Unit is in secured storage yard, with cameras and razor wire. I just want to do what I can to slow the swippers down.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #6

Wouldn't lowering the tongue jack far beyond level put undue stress on the front axle, tires, suspension? Temporarily would be ok but long term storage?
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:54 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlakatos View Post
Wouldn't lowering the tongue jack far beyond level put undue stress on the front axle, tires, suspension? Temporarily would be ok but long term storage?
Exactly my thought process. I store mine such that both axles have as equal a load as I can get within reason. This is better for the axles, suspension, and the tires.

I have a quality hitch lock and hitch pin lock in place at all times, even while camping. If that doesn't stop them then not much else will. Insurance takes care of the rest.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:44 AM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
To prevent the theft we need to think like him. Jacks will bend as soon as we drive off. Mount the ball on the theft truck high and use a Hi-lift jack. They will be ready to cut chains and cables. Perhaps lock a ball with no shank in the hitch. Perhaps remove the tires on one side. All that might just make them steel a different TT. How about a remote tracking device. How about using a power dolly device that pulls the TT in backward with the rear facing toward the street. This is all a PITA we should not have to deal with.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Gat a Hensley Hitch and watch 'em scratch their heads. Gotta have a draw bar that slides into the Hitch and locks with an over center mechanism. Even my shop has problems moving the rig in the yard. [emoji3]
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:23 PM   #10

Most electric tongue jacks can be lowered or raised manually with a 1/2" socket. Don't know if thieves have figured this out.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #11

I just want to help prevent the easy "hook and go". Other than standing guard with a Streetsweeper shotgun, not a lot one could do to stop thieves.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #12

You will not stop someone from taking it. I have seen the after math of someone cutting off the tunge and weld on a new one and take the cargo trailer! You won't even slow them down that much. If they want it they will get it.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:02 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
I agree with the others, if someone is bent on stealing it they will. Our options are making it as difficult as possible. I have a hitch lock installed, all my stabilizers are down, wheel locked chock. Plus 3 large dogs to sound the alarm. Though my pom is quicker on the bark.
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 04:54 PM   #14

Appalachian Campers
Carolina Campers
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a locking ball and locking pin, the slide is out, the 4 Jacks are down, and I have a Gorilla 28 folding ladder aircraft cabled with a disk lock attached to the rear bumper, if the do manage to take off with it the huge ladder will make a hell of a racket and attract a lot of attention going down the road it's not fool proof but will Slow down any thief, I may get a tandem lock that goes between the tires and make it as hard as possible to remove. Another thing that will really help is a concrete footer with a ball welded to a long shafts in the cement set at a height to hitch to with hardened rings so you can lock your safety chains to it, that might be a bit much but if you live somewhere that RV theft is a problem you can never be to carful.
supertramp is offline   Reply With Quote