Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #1

Thermal Package

another question about my new camper jayco 267bhsw with thermal package can I run furnance while driving in cold weather so things won't freeze up till I stop as coming home temp got down to 17° and in NM I didn't have water for a bit tell I turned up heat to 67 camper has in floor and inclosed underbelly and is heated so can I drive all day after running furnance all night without running furnance or should I run it while driving in cold weather. thinks RT
thomas1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2020, 02:16 PM   #2

Run it while in transit
RVs are 'self-contained' ---use the components

We run our furnace anytime the temps are cold....when setting up it is already roasty-toasty

Furnace will operate while in transit.
IF--IF flame gets blown out it will attempt to relight 3X before going into lockout mode (not try anymore until thermostat is turned off/back on)
**Flame proving safety circuit

RUN it.......

HOT Weather we run A/C Unit using our generator
Nice and cool upon arrival/setting up
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:26 PM   #3

thinks for information I will run furnance so I don't have to worry about it freezing up while driving��
thomas1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 02:57 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Couple of things to remember though:
  • Turn it off before filling up! You don't want the spark ignition going off where combustible fumes are present.

• Some tunnels and bridges may require all propane devices to be turned off before entering. Know your route and plan ahead - you may have to turn the gas off at the tank.

Of course, these apply to your LP powered water heater and refrigerator too.

Stay warm!

Regards,

Randy
groswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #5

Running the furnace blower takes a lot of electricity from your battery. The charging from your vehicle most likely will not keep the battery topped off. If it is a small group 24 battery there is a chance your battery will be dead when you stop.

If you have a group 29/31 battery you might be ok.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Running the furnace blower takes a lot of electricity from your battery. The charging from your vehicle most likely will not keep the battery topped off. If it is a small group 24 battery there is a chance your battery will be dead when you stop.

If you have a group 29/31 battery you might be ok.
RV 12 volt furnaces draw as little as 1.5 up to 10 or so amps, depending the furnace, capacity, etc. Shouldn’t be any issues running all day long on battery alone. (Group 24 batteries run 70 to 80-ish amp hours.) If the tow vehicle charging system is working and wired to the trailer battery properly you can probably run it forever.

Regards,

Randy
Old 12-20-2020, 07:53 PM   #7

We will have to disagree
Old 12-20-2020, 08:13 PM   #8

I agree the charge line will keep up.

The furnace will draw about 7amps while running.

The charge line should easily handle that draw when the furnace is running, and even if it doesn't quite keep up, the battery will recover during the time the furnace is not running.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2020, 09:07 PM   #9

My 5vr has a 35Kbtu furnace\Draws 9+ amps when running
5vr batteries have no issue keeping up and truck charge line maintains just fine
Old 12-21-2020, 10:05 AM   #10

I don't run my furnace while traveling because 2 heating grates are covered by the slide outs. The third one is partially covered. I figured there is too much restriction which may cause the furnace to act up.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:06 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
We will have to disagree
Not quite sure what we are disagreeing about. It's simple math.

Standard group 24 batteries provide 70 to 85-ish amp hours. You generally don't want to run them completely flat so 80% is a good number for the actual usable capacity:

70 Ah x .80 = 56 amp/hours of usable capacity.
The amp draw numbers I mentioned were quoted from various manufacturers' spec sheets. Using the worst number I found, 11 amps results in

56 Ah / 11 A = 5.09 hours of continuous running

Using a more reasonable number for run time of, say 25% -

5.09 hours x 1/.25 = 20.36 hours of runtime
So, the math says 20-ish hours of run time with no charging.

Using the ubiquitous F150 as an example tow vehicle, the alternator output is in the 120 amp range. After replacing the starting draw there is more than enough left to replace the 11 amp draw of the furnace.

Ignoring the math, boondockers would be really upset if they couldn't get a single full night out of their furnace. My son, in his popup with a group 24 battery, gets 2 to 3 nights.

Regards,

Randy
Old 12-21-2020, 02:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brialin View Post
I don't run my furnace while traveling because 2 heating grates are covered by the slide outs. The third one is partially covered. I figured there is too much restriction which may cause the furnace to act up.
Have you tried it??

If not enough airflow/discharge then Furnace Limit Switch will shut it down ...fan stays running....exchanger cools down/limit switch close...flame relights

Built in safety device

Otherwise it will run until thermostat set point is reached
Old 12-21-2020, 05:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
After replacing the starting draw there is more than enough left to replace the 11 amp draw of the furnace.
I have very limited first hand knowledge on this subject. However, it is my understanding that getting close to 11 amps from the normal charge plug is the real challenge. Small OEM wire used to deliver that power can be very limiting. But once again, I have never verified this on mine nor any other truck.
Old 12-21-2020, 06:06 PM   #14

I verified using a truck (Dually with high output alternator) to charge my 5th wheel battery was a bad idea. 30 minutes did nothing. I also know after trailing for 12 hours and spending a cold night that a 24 group battery will not keep the furnace blower runnig much more than for 4 to 6 hours. I went to bed around midnight warm and woke up at 4:30am cold because the 3 year old group 24 battery was dead and the blower was not running. I had plenty of propane. I tried to change the battery of this travel trailer with the truck (F-150) to get more sleep but that did not work. I tried to sleep in the truck for a few hours.

Now I am hearing running the furnace which in cold weather will run 50% of the time will not discharge the battery as you go down the highway. I am talking of temperatures around 30F degrees.

So my 1st hand experience has not been good.