Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2018, 05:15 AM   #1

Thoughts on Grand Design Imagine XLS 21 BHE?

I am considering upgrading from our Keystone Passport Express 239ML (purchased 11/2016) to a Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE. Ths is a fairly new model apparently, but the floor plan is very close to ours with some pretty impressive upgrades. I'm looking for thoughts or impressions from any of you who might have experience with GD Imagine TTs...

Our tow vehicle is also being upgraded from a Jeep Cherokee V6 (4500lb towing) to Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi V8 (7200lbs). At GVWR for TT, should still be less than 80% of 7200, although wheelbase concerns may apply.

Concerns include:
1) 2500lb axles (understand that GD is going to 3000 for 2019 models)? 770 CCC?

2) How to mount bike carrier or hitch to 4" back bumper - where to fit it with the spare tire carrier already there? Also is bumper strong enough to hold tire and 3 bikes?

3) Can I mount Spare under Battery/Propane area? Is there a kit for that? Is it advisable?

Other questions but these are top of mind for me at the moment...

Thanks in advance,
Daryl
DarylW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 06:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylW View Post
I am considering upgrading from our Keystone Passport Express 239ML (purchased 11/2016) to a Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE. Ths is a fairly new model apparently, but the floor plan is very close to ours with some pretty impressive upgrades. I'm looking for thoughts or impressions from any of you who might have experience with GD Imagine TTs...

Our tow vehicle is also being upgraded from a Jeep Cherokee V6 (4500lb towing) to Jeep Grand Cherokee Hemi V8 (7200lbs). At GVWR for TT, should still be less than 80% of 7200, although wheelbase concerns may apply.

Concerns include:
1) 2500lb axles (understand that GD is going to 3000 for 2019 models)? 770 CCC?

2) How to mount bike carrier or hitch to 4" back bumper - where to fit it with the spare tire carrier already there? Also is bumper strong enough to hold tire and 3 bikes?

3) Can I mount Spare under Battery/Propane area? Is there a kit for that? Is it advisable?

Other questions but these are top of mind for me at the moment...

Thanks in advance,
Daryl
nice trailer. our freedom express came with the spare mounted under the propane tanks so there must be someone that sells that mounting.crank down system for that. the way it was mounted it was rubbing on an electrical junction box so worrying about the tire eventually having a hole, I relocated the spare to the front storage bin. you could probably find a bike carrier to mount to the spare tire bracket if you relocated the spare to the front.
runamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Saw a guy last week with a spare under the propane tanks that had dragged it over a driveway transition and ripped it half off. Was hanging down and dragging on the ground and the tire was shredded. Not recommended unless the trailer has an off-road type suspension for better ground clearance.

I think going to the Hemi engine is going to help your pulling power but will do nothing for stability or load handling. If you are spending the money to upgrade, get a bigger, more capable towing machine. An Eco-Boost F150 has more room for people and gear and gets better fuel economy by a large margin than a Hemi Grand Cherokee in all conditions and will be a MUCH better tow vehicle.

As far as the bike rack, I would be surprised if the Grand Design did not come with a hitch receiver already mounted under the bumper that you can mount your bikes to using a standard bike rack. No stress on the bumper at all. My Outdoors RV came that way and they are in the same league, lots of bells and whistles and better quality than average.

Lastly, 770 is a little light for CCC. Most folks carry 1000 pounds of stuff on average if going on a 2 week trip or longer. I would add upgraded axles if an option. My ORV has a suspension upgrade option with roughly an extra 1000 pounds of CCC depending on the model.

Nice trailers but they are heavy. All those extras add weight that must be accounted for somewhere. Good luck with whatever you decide.
keymastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:40 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarylW View Post

Thanks in advance,
Daryl
Don't. Get a class III or IV 2" receiver installed to the trailer frame and use a hitch mounted bike carrier. (Yes, you'll have to get one of the spendy ones so the bikes don't get beat to heck...) Either that or go see someone like Rack and Road and get a roof-top rack mounted vertically to the rear of the trailer.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:10 AM   #5

GD mounts the spare on the bumper so it should be strong enough for a coupe bikes. If needed just have someone weld a couple gussets where the bumper connects to the frame.
The spare tire should fit in the outside storage thats under the lower bunk.
Just an FYI. Not sure if you've actually looked at one in person. The GD Imagines that we've been in and sat in had very poorly cushioned seating. We've sat in the booth and you can feel yourself slowly sinking down to the seat support. My thinking and from looking at XLS online is that that sit n sleep sofa looks really bad.
Point being is if you want to spend time inside I wouldn't count on the sitting surfaces being very accommodating.
Cushion foam can be improved on if the cushions have zippers.
Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote