Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2014, 07:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneracin View Post
When I purchased my trailer at the end of the season last year, it had no battery. I didn't purchase one yet because whats the point. Now we are starting to get warmer weather and getting the trailer ready. The battery is a 24M, and it only takes 1. In the automotive world I have had good luck with Interstate, so I was looking at the 24M-XHD. Anyone have any advice as to a better one, or is this a good way to go?

I also have a battery tender that will be getting installed on there as well.
Go on down to your local NAPA Store and check out this one. It will give you all the power you need for days and days. I used to use this one on my TT years ago.
NAPA AUTO PARTS
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2014, 09:18 PM   #16

Costco is a great source for batteries. Their Kirkland brand GC2 6V and Group 24/27 12V are widely used by RV'rs. Personally I run dual Group 24 85AHr (170AHr total) -- not the highest AMP Hour, but certainly enough for me. We carry our Honda EU2000 when dry camping so recharging isn't a concern.

I did use dual GC2 (220AHr +) in my last TT and they were great. The downside for me …

1) Heavy. I pull the batteries and place them on a tendor whenever our trailer is not being used
2) Even with 220AHr I still ended up running my generator daily, otherwise it would take forever to get back to 90+ % state of charge using my onboard smart converter. So trying to be polite to other campers and reduce the duration I would run my generator daily. I ended up running each morning for about 1-1.5hrs. So my though is if I am still running generator daily -- why do I need such a big battery bank.
3) Last, if a one of the 6V has a catastrophic failure while out It would require 2 new batteries since the trailer can't run on 6V and the two really should be a matched pair.
A 12V has a failure, you can still get thought the trip on a single battery.

Only you can decide what you need based on how you plan to use it. If you are going to set up solar and run an inverter to have AC while dry camping then maybe GC2 are the way to go. If you just need 12V power to run fridge, furnace, water heater and lights for 24-36 hours before firing up the Generator to recharge….maybe GC2s aren't really necessary.

Your call
Clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 05:16 AM   #17

Nor'easters Club
thats some good advice, thanks. I think Im going to go with a single 24 as intended for the trailer. It should be enough, and the only time we dry camp is at a race, so generator noise isnt really much of a concern.

Thanks for all the input guys.
Goneracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:30 AM   #18

Not to question your decision, but, i would at least go to a group 29. Not that much difference in size and weight ( well a little ), but that's what i'm going to do unless we get serious about boondgging.

Jim
rideandslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:46 AM   #19

Nor'easters Club
Good point, should still mount in the same spot, just need a new box. any brand recommendations?
Old 03-24-2014, 02:25 PM   #20

Well, my answer probably will be questioned, but we have to operate on a limited budget, so i deal with Advance Auto Parts {because of online discounts } and Walmart, 2 year replacement and a good price. I know there are many better choices, but limited jingle here. Would love that Napa Battery but jingle again !!!!

Jim
Old 03-24-2014, 08:20 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Nothing wrong with Walmart batteries, I use them for my vehicles. Wish they sold a true deep cycle battery. Unless they changed it the warranty it is three years and not pro rated. The Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls, the world largest battery manufacturer.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #22

Appalachian Campers
Forest River Owners Club
They do make a 12 volt golf cart battery (can't rremember the #.) The 6 volt is. GC2
hturner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #23

I do have WM size 29 and they are both type some are true deep cell but marine is also available.
Seam to be much better number of drain cycles. If a jenny is used it can kill a battery fast. So cycle charge is very important.
Just my passed experience.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:30 AM   #24

Nor'easters Club
Meaning what? Letting it drain then recharging with a generator will hurt it more than charging with the trailer plugged into ac supply?
Old 03-25-2014, 06:38 AM   #25

I deal with Advance Auto too, as I work for them. Our batteries are all made by Johnson Controls also. I have a Group 29 in place of the 27 that came in the TT...works great.

For you on-liners, try the discount code TRT30. 30% off up to a max of $50 in savings. Makes that $100 Group 29 deep cycle a lot better buy!
DougL3NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #26

Nor'easters Club
Thanks, Ill give that a try
Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #27

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougL3NC View Post
I deal with Advance Auto too, as I work for them. Our batteries are all made by Johnson Controls also. I have a Group 29 in place of the 27 that came in the TT...works great.

For you on-liners, try the discount code TRT30. 30% off up to a max of $50 in savings. Makes that $100 Group 29 deep cycle a lot better buy!

thanks for that code, Just ordered a group 31 deep cycle for $80.04 after core charge. We will see how well this one lasts before stepping up to the really expensive ones. Thanks everyone for all your help.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:38 PM   #28

Again,What is a Group 31 ????? Bigger than a 29 ?????

Tags
advice, battery