Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2023, 08:42 PM   #1

Tire Advice

Hi,

I recently had a blowout on my 2009 Skyline Layton 2970 TT (8,800 GVWR). Bought it used late last year, great shape, with Goodyears (including spare) on it that also looked in good shape and that I understand were about 3 yrs old. Tread-wise they have at least another year to them, and since I am on a bit of a budget, I could just put the current spare into use and get a new spare. However, even being Goodyears, with the blowout I'm not sure I trust the rest and would rather buy 4 new.

I know how most feel about "china-bombs", but I am on a budget so can't go with the Maxxis or Sailuns everyone raves about. Plus I'm not convinced its as big of a problem as its made out to be (my old TT had Greenballs and then HiRuns, never had a blowout until the Goodyears). So anyway, I have narrowed it down to the following tires (ST225/75R15):
  • Power King Towmax Vanguard - Load Index 117, Load Range E, Speed N
  • Trailer King RST - Load Index 117, Load Range E, Speed M
  • Gladiator QR25-TS - Load Index 117, Load Range E, Speed N
  • Carlisle Radial Trail HD - Load Index 113, Load Range D, Speed M

Now I know Carlisle is the only one that seems to be acceptable by many, and it is only about $10 more per tire than the others, but it does have lower load and speed specs than the others. The Carlisle specs are sufficient for my TT weight, but I am wondering if getting more load buffer with the 117/E tires might be better, despite those tires being held in less regard.

Looking forward to opinions! Thanks!
uconn_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2023, 08:48 PM   #2

that I understand were about 3 yrs old.
What is the date code on sidewall?

As for replacement ...go with what your pocket book can afford (including any damage from another blowout)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 08:31 PM   #3

If you still have the defective tire, you can take it to a Goodyear Dealer, and they may send it back to Akron for an analysis.
Depending on what they find, they may compensate you for repair costs.
I've read where Goodyear has done this in the past.

Tim
Old 06-03-2023, 10:57 PM   #4

No complaints out of the Carlisle HD's. Replaced the Castlerocks about 1000 miles ago.
Old 06-04-2023, 04:28 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I like the Carlisle E tires and used them as D replacements on my car hauler with no issues.( 40000) miles. I do however believe in up grading the load range more than the name so , with a Hard choice between a D orE and Im putting on the E and its increased pressures before the D Carlisle
BillJinOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 04:50 AM   #6

Agree with having GoodYear look at the tire - but you don’t mention your tire pressure checking and how you determine what tire pressure you go with, and when you check your tire pressure (hot or cold) and if there was mechanical damage to the tire (road hazard or an alignment issue or maybe a locked up brake that caused an issue with that tie/wheel).
Old 06-04-2023, 04:54 AM   #7

I can speak to two on your list:

Trail King RST - thumbs down. Ranks near the top of the list of so called 'China Bombs'. Were favored by Keystone for a period until they switched to GYEs for 2023. Keystone forum is full of blowout stories (myself included)

Carlisle HD - These were put on my trailer all around after my dual blowout experience. No issues for about 10K. When I traded in the trailer they still looked brand new.
mistercee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 06:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Now I know Carlisle is the only one that seems to be acceptable by many, and it is only about $10 more per tire than the others, but it does have lower load and speed specs than the others. The Carlisle specs are sufficient for my TT weight, but I am wondering if getting more load buffer with the 117/E tires might be better, despite those tires being held in less regard.
Held in less regard ?....depends on which rv website your looking at. Some rv websites many didn't like the thin 8/32" tread depth on the Endurance. Not many miles of service if it matters to you.

Carlisle HD comes in a ST225/75-15 E 80 psi at 2830 lbs capacity like other same size/load capacity ST class tires.
M vs N speed ratings ?? No worries about either one on a rv trailer.

I'm running Provider ST tires on a 10k car hauler. Ran the first set 7 years at around 35k-36k miles making long day trips at max axle loads and legal 65 or 75 mph speeds.. I'm now 5 years into the second set.

Provider ST tires first came out on commercial trailers in '10-11 era and were one of the first M speed rated ST class tires. Good tires for the long haul at highway speeds.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 10:58 AM   #9

Also look into tire monitoring system
Mine has saved me 2x .

Before I had a tire go down and started coming apart , did 1800 in damage

Check out Heartland from Discount tire.

Go down in grade like c-d or d-e
capsfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2023, 11:08 AM   #10

I have run Trailer King and Carslile with no issues. Trailer King on my car trailer and Carslile on my enclosed trailer.
Toyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 06:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman01 View Post
I have run Trailer King and Carslile with no issues. Trailer King on my car trailer and Carslile on my enclosed trailer.

How often do you use your car trailer and what sort of weights? Seems to me that is good use for a risky tire. Which I am not saying trailer king is, just that it isnt a critical situation if you are going to the recycle center and your lowes/home depot.

Im looking at a single axle travel trailer so this thread is of interest to me.
Barchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 06:53 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by uconn_jack View Post
Hi,

I recently had a blowout on my 2009 Skyline Layton 2970 TT (8,800 GVWR). Bought it used late last year, great shape, with Goodyears (including spare) on it that also looked in good shape and that I understand were about 3 yrs old. Tread-wise they have at least another year to them, and since I am on a bit of a budget, I could just put the current spare into use and get a new spare. However, even being Goodyears, with the blowout I'm not sure I trust the rest and would rather buy 4 new.

I know how most feel about "china-bombs", but I am on a budget so can't go with the Maxxis or Sailuns everyone raves about. Plus I'm not convinced its as big of a problem as its made out to be (my old TT had Greenballs and then HiRuns, never had a blowout until the Goodyears). So anyway, I have narrowed it down to the following tires (ST225/75R15):
  • Power King Towmax Vanguard - Load Index 117, Load Range E, Speed N
  • Trailer King RST - Load Index 117, Load Range E, Speed M
  • Gladiator QR25-TS - Load Index 117, Load Range E, Speed N
  • Carlisle Radial Trail HD - Load Index 113, Load Range D, Speed M

Looking forward to opinions! Thanks!
I would respectfully suggest that if you are on a budget you consider the risks involved in a tire delaminating and tearing up one side of your camper. Pay now, or pay dearly later. Not to mention totally destroying your vacation and turning it into a bad memory rather than something to think about with a smile on your face when you are waiting in bed for the end Also, I concur, dont buy cheap and over load range to try and feel better.. its going to beat the heck out of your coach as it drives down the road.

I would also agree that times may be different. I think China has wised up to sending poor products over here. they have a reputation to protect.. not saying they are any better, just that it could be. Im about to dive into this decision myself.
Barchetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 09:20 AM   #13

I'd buy the Carlisle's......well, actually I'd get Endurance's. I agree with the others that going up a LR isn't going to bridge the quality gap.

Dave
Old 06-07-2023, 09:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barchetta View Post
How often do you use your car trailer and what sort of weights? Seems to me that is good use for a risky tire. Which I am not saying trailer king is, just that it isnt a critical situation if you are going to the recycle center and your lowes/home depot.

Im looking at a single axle travel trailer so this thread is of interest to me.
The car trailer is on the road several times a month either hauling race cars or materials for my business. Most runs are between 75 and 150 miles with speeds up to 75 mph. Loads range between 1000 pounds to just under 4000 pounds. Add another 1000 pounds of trailer and the tires seeing about 5000 pounds. The current set is right at 4 years old. The previous set was replaced at 6 years old and they probably had 20k-30k miles on them with zero issues.

Honestly, I think sitting probably kills a trailer tire faster than dragging it all over the state on a regular basis.
Toyman01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, tire