RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2020, 08:39 PM   #1

Tire Blow out

This tire is no older than 3 months ... It was inflated to 80psi .. which in on the sidewall .. it looks like it exploded .. I have never seen anything like this .. can so of you guys weigh in as to the most likely cause .. this just happened a few hours ago while my son was enroute to Payson Az .. thank Glenn
gpshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2020, 08:44 PM   #2

Blow out

Blow out
Click image for larger version

Name:	Keith trailor tire.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	301395
Old 09-17-2020, 09:04 PM   #3

Road hazard
Defective tire
Under inflated (80# was posted but was air pressure checked/adjusted that AM Prior to travel)???
Valve stem leaked...low air...heat built up....Boom!

What Brand style size is that tire?
Weight on trailer axles?

Lots of factors come into play------
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:35 PM   #4

^^^^^^^This plus speed. Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed rated at 65 MPH under normal inflation and load conditions.
Old 09-17-2020, 10:50 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
send pic and info to tire mfg... I got goodyear to pay for a new tire and repairs to my 5'er when it blew...
they just asked me to give the tire carcass to one of their stores to be sent back for testing...
Old 09-18-2020, 04:52 AM   #6

What is the trailer mfg. suggested air pressure?
80 lbs. sounds excessive to me but I could be wrong.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:55 AM   #7

You said the tire was only 3 months old. Does that mean you only had it 3 months? What do the date codes on the tire say? My guess would be that you hit something and that is the damage that is caused before you can get pulled over Plus you may have been over the speed rating for the tire. The speed thing I see everyday when on the road. I don't think most rvers that are not full timers don't even know that there is a speed rating on the tires.
I only drive 60 - 62 MPH and people towing RV's FLY past me everyday.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 07:40 AM   #8

Thank you soooo much for all your responses .. he texted me that pic .. so I will ask him those questions .. and tell him to get hold of the tire mfg.... at this point I don't know anything more than he had a blow-out and this pic .. but as a dad I'll be asking .. glenn
Old 09-18-2020, 08:35 AM   #9

Speed ratings depend on the tire used.....ones on here are rated 75.....which they'll never see....
Old 09-18-2020, 08:44 AM   #10

Agree with all other posts, in short, lots of reasons why the tire may have failed. The damage pictured, again already mentioned, is from running flat, not a blow out. The tire may have had a blow out, but that term is often misused. Many, many flat tires "look like that" after losing air for some reason, eventually failing, and then running on the rim which cuts it to shreds. At least you still have the carcass to send to the manufacturer. Too often the tire fails on the freeway and the carcass is left in the middle of traffic lanes.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 08:57 AM   #11

Sorry to hear about the tire.
That is the reason I use tire minders, when traveling, as it tells the temp and psi of each tire in its place, and has over and under inflation warning. Its not perfect, but better than nothing. $160 for 5 tires and I don't have to leave it on anything if selling the thing.
Traveler4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:05 AM   #12

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA Larry View Post
^^^^^^^This plus speed. Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed rated at 65 MPH under normal inflation and load conditions.
This is what I'm seeing as the most common failure of trailer tires over the last 4 or 5 years, including on my flatbed trailer. I was clueless to the fact that tires were being released with a 65 mph speed limit.