Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #1

Tire kickin new trailers

Anybody familiar with Echo North Bay Trailers?
rickinfrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not me.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry I can't help you either but I can Welcome you to iV2. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions. We have a great group here that likes to help when they can.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 08:48 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Hi...Welcome to IRV2...had a look at the trailer....looks nice...but I haven't heard of North Bay trailers. If I could give on piece of advice is to look at as many units and models as possible after completing a wish/must have list. Good luck and welcome.
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 09:14 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

Your question might be better posted in a different forum. Many people that have knowledge such as this do not frequent the New Member Check In forum.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
It looks like a typical entry level travel trailer. You would do better on a trailer to look at higher end used trailers. RVs depreciate badly once you roll off the lot. A gently used 3 to 5 year old unit can be a great deal.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
It looks like a typical entry level travel trailer. Ken
Perhaps, but their website does say "high quality construction". But then, in the same sentence it says "all at an affordable price."

I've never heard of them either, but if you read what they say about themselves on their website, they don't sound bad at all. Smaller company, have been around for 15 years, work only with small to medium size dealers, and can provide customized orders for customers. Sounds good, but then manufacturers say all kinds of things to get sales....

If you've seen one in person, spend as much time as needed to examine everything you can think of inside and out. Look at fit and finish, functionality, frame & suspension and what standard features are provided. Sit in the sofa and see if you can actually see the TV screen and from a comfortable angle. You'd be surprised how many manufacturers get this all wrong and then you don't find out until you own it. Sometimes it's not the obvious things that are not good.

I see that they have a "lite" and DS models. I would be very wary when buying any "ultra-lite" type TT because "lite" means they are going to compromise a lot on quality and durability in order to make the unit lighter. I would go with their DS model line.

If you look at their 26TBS, it has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs with a dry weight of just 6,000 lbs. That's pretty good for that length (28'-8") and tell me that they probably have 4400 lb axles and must have a fairly susbstantial frame. Our 29' TT only has 3500 lb axles in comparison. If there's one potentially major weak spot in travel trailers, it's the frame and can hapen in any brand or model. I would recommend that you look closely at the frame on any TT you want to buy. Some frames are better than others and if you happen to find the type made from 3 pieces of sheet steel welded together to look like an I-beam, stay away from it. (Ask me how I know) I would try and find out who makes their frame. If it's a BAL, you're laughin'.

DS line has 2" thick walls which is really good. Has a heated and enclosed underbelly which I would recommend. You can also get a fiberglass exterior, which I would also recommend. The aluminum exterior just looks "cheap" these days. They just don't give you much overall info. on their website though.

They don't mention warranty so I assume it'e the standard 1 year warranty. Some have a 2 year warranty like Jayco and KZ which is something to think about.

I would put the Echo Bay on my short list, but probably only the DS line. A DS model could possibly force you up into a 3/4 ton truck though. Don't go by their dry weights. I'd be especially wary when the list a dry weight at 6,000 lbs and the GVWR is 10,000 lbs. Always use the GVWR for determining your towability unless you have taken it to a scale. If you use the normal 10-15% range for tongue wt., you could have a tongue weight approaching 1500 lbs. That's too much for a lot of 1/2 tons.

I would otherwise search the internet for anything you can on owner comments and quality. The only other point I would have is to also be careful of dealer quality. Some dealers are great, and some are really bad. You can have the best TT out there, but a bad dealer can create a nightmare for you.

You don't say how much these cost. If you have some extra $$, take a look at the Outdoors RV Wind River models. Even if you don't have the few extra bucks, it will give you a really good reference point for quality, good design and features.

My 2 cents for what it's worth...
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:13 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
have been around for 15 years
Actually reads "With 15 years of experience" on their website. Most likely means the "total" years the company big wigs have worked in the RV business. It's a start up company at best.

Very basic styling at best.

On the plus side: 54 gallon fresh water
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #9

Just went to the fall Portland,Oregon RV Show. All I saw was baby boomer trailers. All brands had front bed, rear bath, middle living area. All trailers had dark cherry wood work, and lots of bling for the ladies. Sales people know very little about construction. Factory Reps knew more about construction. I guess I have been spoiled by Airstream and Bigfoot over the years.
H-Rambler25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #10

Superslif has it right--have not been manufacturing these trailers very long.

Echo Bay | RV Business

Doesn't mean they aren't good units, but they are wording the brochure to look like they have been in business for a long time.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 06:09 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Echo has been producing entry-level travel trailers under the North Bay brand along with the Bandit line of entry-level toy haulers for over four years
"entry-level travel trailers" is fine if that is the "price point" you are after.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #12

Echo RV web site.

EchoRV - Home page

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 04:58 PM   #13

North Bay by Echo RV

I got my 2013 North Bay 26FB on November 16, 2013 . I had done a lot of research on the web for an entry level TT, since I wasn't sure if the wife would enjoy camping. I had decided I was getting to old to be sleeping on the ground. One week after I got it home I found out that the Bank had taken over the company and they were out of business. I talked to my dealer about any warranty issues and they assured me they take care of any issues.
That being said all in all the trailer is ok, but there are evidence of some less than perfect workmanship, but nothing that effects the performance. I have done some personal upgrades i.e. Detachable power cord, surge protection, all led lighting and a new shower curtain.
Just be very tight on the price you are willing to pay and make sure your dealer will handle ALL warranty issues.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #14

Ditto on the out of business. I was interested in their line and tried to call them to find a dealer. Found out the telephone was disconnected.