Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Travel Trailer Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2021, 06:32 PM   #1

Tire Replacement Opinions

YEP, found yet another thing I was unaware of but am now 'educated' on, that being tire manufacturing date codes.

What are my date codes you ask? 4212. So that combined with what looks to be some sidewall cracks has me looking for ST205/75R14LC around the internet.
Tire rack.com has some for 76$ each while Amazon has sets of 4 (obviously Chinese imports) for $229..

Have/would anybody you run budget tires and what was your experiences?
JMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2021, 07:07 PM   #2

I read a bunch of reviews and for me it came down to the Carlisle radial trail and the Goodyear endurance. The tire rack tires I looked at were going to come out to about 380 with local installation. I ended up with the GY Endurance from Sam's Club for 440. I made a post about it a few days ago. One thing I noticed is there is not much difference in price between load range c and d. Maybe 5 dollars a tire.
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:59 PM   #3

Have the same size tires that will be replaced here soon. Will be going with Goodyear Endurance. They no long make the “C” load range only the “D”. Will probably run 55 psi in them, considering my current tires are running at 50.

Always buy American when I have the option.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:15 PM   #4

I towed a classic car to car shows all over the country until two years ago. At the end of the day all of us guys would sit around and drink beer and talk about things like the tires on our car haulers. Forget Chinese tires on a trailer. Carlisle had some fans, as did Maxxis (made in Thailand). My favorite, and that of many of my friends was the Goodyear Endurance. Took some people a while to trust Goodyear after horrible experiences with Goodyear Marathons, but the Endurance trailer tires were U.S. made last I checked and have been very reliable.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:37 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the input.. After some more research I'm going to go with the Carlisle 6H04561 it's <edit found out this is CHINA not>US made, M speed rated and D load rated radial, found on Amazon for $74 each with free shipping. <Carlisle USA trail tires are US made, the Radial trail are China manufactured>

Ordered 5 for the trailer and spare, and I'll give a review after they are mounted up for anyone else who is looking.

I was ready to go with the Goodyear Endurance at $120 each, but decided budget wise to go with the cheaper Carlisle and to spend the difference on a TPMS...
Old 02-14-2021, 10:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
re you gonna balance your trailer tires?
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:54 AM   #7

Balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
re you gonna balance your trailer tires?
I just figured that was standard from auto-shop days... am I mistaken? Realize I should have them balanced with TPMS in place.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:14 AM   #8

Tire Replacement Opinions

Those Carlisle Tires are made in China. Purchasing from Amazon you lose control of getting a tire with a more current manufactured date. Some received are already a year old. Knowing these will age out faster than wear out, I would go with a local tire shop. That way I can confirm the date before install.

Support American workers, and my local businesses.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 12:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
Those Carlisle Tires are made in China. Purchasing from Amazon you lose control of getting a tire with a more current manufactured date. Some received are already a year old. Knowing these will age out faster than wear out, I would go with a local tire shop. That way I can confirm the date before install.

Support American workers, and my local businesses.
Funny you should mention this. I just bought two new tires from Amazon for my girlfriend's Prius. Looking at the date codes, one of them is a year old, and the other is right at two years old. Being that they will likely wear out before they age out, I'm not too worried, but if these were for my motorhome or trailer I'd be returning them.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
Thanks everyone for the input.. After some more research I'm going to go with the Carlisle 6H04561 it's &lt;edit found out this is CHINA not&gt;US made, M speed rated and D load rated radial, found on Amazon for $74 each with free shipping. &lt;Carlisle USA trail tires are US made, the Radial trail are China manufactured&gt;

Ordered 5 for the trailer and spare, and I'll give a review after they are mounted up for anyone else who is looking.

I was ready to go with the Goodyear Endurance at $120 each, but decided budget wise to go with the cheaper Carlisle and to spend the difference on a TPMS...
I'd be curious what the date of manufacture is as well as the true load capacity once you get them. I went to Amazon and one area said they had a 1,000 pound capacity and another area said they had a 2,040 pound capacity.
Stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:46 PM   #11

Manufacture date

I'll let everyone know when they arrive (scheduled Wednesday), but reviews from last year had <6 month old tires being delivered.. hoping with the hot 2ndvhandvRV market now these are still being rotated.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:54 PM   #12

GY Endurance or nothing in my book. Cheap tires are too expensive.
Old 02-15-2021, 07:01 AM   #13

Too late but Endurance gets my vote.
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 05:05 PM   #14

Tires arrived.. of the 5 purchased, all 5 date codes are 3920, so for those asking if they are fresh, they are.

Once they are mounted up by the local mechanic I can start looking at longevity and quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMitchell View Post
I'll let everyone know when they arrive (scheduled Wednesday), but reviews from last year had &lt;6 month old tires being delivered.. hoping with the hot 2ndvhandvRV market now these are still being rotated.

Tags
ace, replace